The Wire

postjack

Finally finished last night.

Man… what an ending. Season 5 was just masterful TV. I wasn't feeling the whole "one of the best TV series ever written" thing until I finished Season 5. Just wow. A very satisfying conclusion. I loved the stuff with the news media. Easily my second favorite season after the first.

Top 5 Characters:

1. Bunk

2. Prop Joe

3. Sgt. Landsman

4. DeAngelo Barksdale

5. Carcetti's Aide Norman

Finally finished last night.

Man… what an ending. Season 5 was just masterful TV. I wasn't feeling the whole "one of the best TV series ever written" thing until I finished Season 5. Just wow. A very satisfying conclusion. I loved the stuff with the news media. Easily my second favorite season after the first.

Top 5 Characters:

1. Bunk

2. Prop Joe

3. Sgt. Landsman

4. DeAngelo Barksdale

5. Carcetti's Aide Norman

Not putting season 5 as your least favorite season, and not putting Omar anywhere in your top five, you are definitely going against the grain in terms of rating stuff from The Wire. :)

Omar is great, no doubt, but its a series full of great characters. He makes my top 10, just not my top 5. I also kind of like his character a tiny bit more in Boardwalk Empire.

Speaking of other HBO shows, how oddly appropriate is it that Tommy "the Horse-trader" Carcetti is Littlefinger in GoT? Made me laugh when I realized it was the same actor.

I realize that Season 5 has that whole cliched "cops bending the rules to get the bad guys" thing going on but its done so deftly here that its easy to get caught up in it. Given the way they have had horrible things happen to likable/main characters throughout the course of the show you really don't know what is going to happen to McNulty and Lester.

Omar's demise was also a high point. Its so sudden and unexpected when it happens but at the same time so appropriate in the context of "the game."

The stuff about the homeless doesn't have the gravity of Hamsterdam, the Stevedores, or the kids, but I think that was kind of the point... no one really cares about the homeless.

The stuff with the Baltimore Sun and how the media tied in to the events of the whole series was great.

• 1 year later...

Just finished watching this (finally) last week. Great series! As to my favorites:

Lester

Bunk (Motherfucker!)

Omar (Do I look like someone who repeats himself?)

Stringer

Lots of good ones (and scummy ones).

I think I may rewatch the whole thing while it is still available on HBO On Demand.

Just finished watching this (finally) last week. Great series! As to my favorites:

Lester

Bunk (Motherfucker!)

Omar (Do I look like someone who repeats himself?)

Stringer

Lots of good ones (and scummy ones).

I think I may rewatch the whole thing while it is still available on HBO On Demand.

The second time around was even better for me. I made connections I didn't make before.

• Like 1

PaleyFest: The Wire Reunion

Watch a panel discussion from The Paley Center for Media's annual ultimate TV fan festival, PaleyFest NY. On Thursday, October 16, 2014 The Wire Reunion was held featuring David Simon, Nina Noble, Wendell Pierce, Sonja Sohn, Michael Kenneth Williams, Seth Gilliam, Jim True-Frost, John Doman, Lawrence Gilliard Jr, Jamie Hector and a special video intro by Dominic West. Moderator by Alan Sepinwall, TV Critic, Hitfix.com.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished The Wire on Amazon tonight. Great show. Better than Breaking Bad/The Killing? I don't know. Certainly not for me. Maybe better than The Killing but Breaking Bad sits very comfortably in first place for me. Except for the fly episode, I don't really remember there being a bad/slow Breaking Bad episode. There were a couple of very slow Wire episodes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been re-watching the Wire for the first time.

I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying going back through it.

It really is/was a special show and I'm  amazed how much it holds up to repeat viewing.

If I were to redo my Top 5 character list then Stringer and Bodie make it on. Not sure who'd I'd replace. Stringer is such a good heel.

Edited by TMoney