Stax vs. Senn Round 1

Elephas

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SR-SC1 is very clear and detailed. Open-sounding with plenty of air and excellent notes separation. Brighter than the SR-007, it seems more neutral and accurate and less "euphonic" to me. It's actually very similar to the 4070. Both lack some refinement, bass quantity and bass quality vs. the O2, though.

Interesting - any idea how they compare to 404's?

The 404 is much rougher around the edges with a bit of bass boom, upper midrange coloration and a soundstage that is too large for it's own good. The SC1 is much smoother and civilized and the midrange coloration is reduced by quite a bit. It's basically what the SR-404 should have been to begin with.

Btw. Congrats on the HE90 Michael. ;D

The 404 is much rougher around the edges with a bit of bass boom, upper midrange coloration and a soundstage that is too large for it's own good. The SC1 is much smoother and civilized and the midrange coloration is reduced by quite a bit. It's basically what the SR-404 should have been to begin with.

Interesting that cryo'ing each parts before assembly makes that much difference. Priced right in between 007 and 404, too.

Interesting that cryo'ing each parts before assembly makes that much difference. Priced right in between 007 and 404, too.

They cost about YJP70000 so it's a hefty premium over the 404 but the difference isn't subtle. It's amazing that the same driver can sound so different in the 404, SC1 and the 4070.

The SR-SC1, and presumably the 404, is very lightweight and comfortable. There's some clamping force and the earpads do get a bit warm, though.

What the heck happened to the poor 600? A moment of violence? I've got 600s on my head right now. That's doesn't seem easy to do by accident.

I can't lie to you, it was very easy to do, for one whose stupidity is combined with a fat head. O0

I just finished watching The Transformers on DVD and thought I might listen to some Rihanna - Umbrella... ella, ella, eh eh eh. :-[

I grabbed the HD600, the Raptor (uh, oh, dangerzone) was switched on and I hit R on the keyboard, scrolled, and hit play.

After about 30 seconds of bopping my head around, the blasted clamping force felt uncomfortable! I ripped off the HD600 and unthinkingly bent the headband the same way I usually bend the W5000 headband, except outward this time. Snap!

The SR-SC1, and presumably the 404, is very lightweight and comfortable. There's some clamping force and the earpads do get a bit warm, though.

The 404 and SC1 are identical except for the label on the plug. The newer Lambda arc design is much worse then the original Sigma design that the Lambda borrowed. The clamp is too tight and it doesn't extend enough.

I can't lie to you, it was very easy to do, for one whose stupidity is combined with a fat head. O0

I just finished watching The Transformers on DVD and thought I might listen to some Rihanna - Umbrella... ella, ella, eh eh eh. :-[

I grabbed the HD600, the Raptor (uh, oh, dangerzone) was switched on and I hit R on the keyboard, scrolled, and hit play.

After about 30 seconds of bopping my head around, the blasted clamping force felt uncomfortable! I ripped off the HD600 and unthinkingly bent the headband the same way I usually bend the W5000 headband, except outward this time. Snap!

well if you wanna get rid of the broken 600s, you know where to send them to. (ME, send them to ME, i dont want to be subtle and kick myself in the ass later because you didnt understand ;))

I ripped off the HD600 and unthinkingly bent the headband the same way I usually bend the W5000 headband, except outward this time. Snap!

The difference is the W5000 headband is made of metal, while the Senn is plasticke. :D

The key to loosening the Senn headband is steady pressure over a long period. Stretching over a row of books overnight does the trick for me, though this results in chipped paint in the center of the headband on the HD650.