Stax vs. Senn Round 1

Elephas

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yeah, mine was NOS as well. Gaaarrrrrrr... >:( I miss it. A lot.

DANSU :dance:

There was one on Y!JP this week, not NOS but the condition was above average. I'm a little crazy as I prefer the original SR-Sigma with a ribbon cable over the Pro's as it is far more believable. The 1um drivers just don't cut it.

Well so do I but I won't let that get in my way. ;)

Fair enough. You bought the 404 so he could compare it to the SC1 so I think he should repay the favor.

There was one on Y!JP this week, not NOS but the condition was above average. I'm a little crazy as I prefer the original SR-Sigma with a ribbon cable over the Pro's as it is far more believable. The 1um drivers just don't cut it.

Yep, saw that one. I was hesitant and didn't want to ditch the 62k+ for it.

I pictured them having a handheld dogfight, as young males are wont to do.

You were supposed to imagine the headphones animated and fighting each other, like the Transformers!

I've belatedly realized the HD600 headband is plastic. The only other headband I've tried bending is the W5000, which can really take a lot of pressure. A local audio shop should have a replacement headband for me soon.

The Airbow SR-SC1 is an excellent headphone, but I like my coloration. I would categorize the SR-SC1 together with the 4070, K701 and K1000 in terms of accuracy and overall neutral tonality. The SR-007, R10 and L3000 which I prefer are more colored as well as more refined.

I still haven't heard a well-driven K1000, though.

The SC1 and the 4070 are both a bit too "monitor" like. They are in many ways better headphones then say the older lambdas and the He60 but they lack that spark of life to make them great. While I don't find the SR-007 colored in any way they have that X-factor, musicality if you must, that makes them stand out. This is also why I prefer the He60 to the He90.

That was a bit much for it. The cable needed to be changed as well as it had a nick in it and sourcing a real brown PC-OCC cable would be very tough.

I only recall seeing one of those cables for sale on the auction sites in the last year or so. I saw there was also a pair of original Omegas on Y!JP which went for 312,000 yen. From memory though the description suggested there were some problems with the drivers and the Japanese bidders were asking questions about them. Fixable perhaps but if they weren't sold to a local I hope whoever bought those didn't just bid without doing a translation.

I only recall seeing one of those cables for sale on the auction sites in the last year or so. I saw there was also a pair of original Omegas on Y!JP which went for 312,000 yen. From memory though the description suggested there were some problems with the drivers and the Japanese bidders were asking questions about them. Fixable perhaps but if they weren't sold to a local I hope whoever bought those didn't just bid without doing a translation.

They are very rare in its original brown color but the 303 cable is the same. Shame about the color though... :P

That SR-Ω had problems and was most likely going to the great scrapheap in the sky. The glue in the drivers was going soon and there are of course no replacements except the SR-007 drivers. When the price was still sane I was thinking about buying them to have spare for my own set but at 300kYJP it was way too much. It's such a shame that the spare parts Stax has don't match the original headphone at all... :-\

They are very rare in its original brown color but the 303 cable is the same. Shame about the color though... :P

That SR-Ω had problems and was most likely going to the great scrapheap in the sky. The glue in the drivers was going soon and there are of course no replacements except the SR-007 drivers. When the price was still sane I was thinking about buying them to have spare for my own set but at 300kYJP it was way too much. It's such a shame that the spare parts Stax has don't match the original headphone at all... :-\

None of my friends were able to clearly translate the ad - do you know if he said he already replaced the parts with 007 parts or not? :-\

The SC1 and the 4070 are both a bit too "monitor" like. They are in many ways better headphones then say the older lambdas and the He60 but they lack that spark of life to make them great. While I don't find the SR-007 colored in any way they have that X-factor, musicality if you must, that makes them stand out. This is also why I prefer the He60 to the He90.

Yeah, that's what I mean by "coloration." I think the SC1 and 4070 can sometimes be too bland and make the music sound a bit flat and lifeless.

The translation I got indicated the Omega was all original. Humidity levels caused a noise to appear in one of the drivers. The noise was intermittent. The seller said repairs might cost JPY 30,000.

Ah, I see I see. :) Thanks for the translation. :angel:

The translation I got indicated the Omega was all original. Humidity levels caused a noise to appear in one of the drivers. The noise was intermittent. The seller said repairs might cost JPY 30,000.

That's largely what I got from it too. He was definitely suggesting they might need repairs to fix the noise although any thoughts of the drivers being bad put me right off bidding.

Yeah, that's what I mean by "coloration." I think the SC1 and 4070 can sometimes be too bland and make the music sound a bit flat and lifeless.

That fit's with my experience of the 4070 too. I always found I wanted that little bit extra from them that they couldn't deliver. If the SC1 shares that trait they may not be to my tastes, but I'll leave that up to some decent listening sessions to decide.

It was all original but the difference in humidity is a dead give away that something was misaligned in the driver. It's so sad that the second best headphone in the world has a fatal flaw... :'(

Ok, thanks for clearing that up

I was thinking how I might follow-up with Round 2, which would require another broken headband.

I looked for my Bose Triports, which has a broken headband, but couldn't find them. They might be a bit out of place with those other headphones, I think.

Luckily I've been saved by Upstateguy. :-*

Here's an old photo of the Triport for your viewing amusement.

BoseTriPortbroken.jpg

Stax vs. Senn Round 2

Team Sennheiser strikes back in Round 2. The HD600 is whole again.

This time, the HD650 wields a balanced Stefan AudioArts HD650LE Equinox cable while the HD600 fights with a single-ended RnB G52.

The team is strengthened with the addition of the HE60. Its loyalties are a bit questionable, though, because it comes to battle with its stock cable tipped with a Stax plug.

StaxvsSenn.jpg