RSA Predator

purk

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did i mention i have been drinking 100 year old scotch for most of the afternoon...

What distillery is that? I've had Macallen 25, Highland Park 25, and I've seen Mac 50 (which sold for GBP1500 per bottle 15 years ago.) I can't say I have much interest in single malts that cost more than my car, but I do have Lagavulin 30 year on my to-do list.

909:1

bhd:0

Ray:1

909:0

:laugh:

seriously dude i so think ur pissed about being told no to the Raffle, I mean a hornet would up the anty so much more...hmm

oh well less that went to the "Cleaning fees" and "Security"

sorry billy, but you are still so sorely mistaken it isn't even funny. obviously you know well enough the huge raffle goodies i have put together plus the hundreds of dollars i have donated to head-fi as a result of the raffles. if anything ray hurt the meet by lowering attendance, and indirectly head-fi, but that's ray's burden. i have not seen other meets besides the national even compare to the items in the so cal raffles . i would have liked to have ray put up another portable amp, but in the grand scheme more mot donated stuff for the second meet so it really didn't make a difference. in fact, ray told me at both meets i should keep money because jude doesn't need anymore. though, i didn't take his advice because that is not my style. also, the second raffle raised more money than the first even without ray. and yes out of the raffle proceeds i paid for weekend/special event insurance, studio cleaning, utilities, table rental, food and beverages, a nominal studio rental fee, and in fact during the second meet on sunday i used raffle proceeds to buy lunch for the twenty or so head-fiers and mot in attendance, plus many other things i recouped out of my pocket hosting the meet. though, i don't charge for my time or the "security" service i provided. gosh, billy petty... don't forget i even offer up the excess cash to head-fi (give me a break billy).

The legions just keep growing, and growing- more fanatical with each generation. Still, they're but meager pawns sent to slaughter against old veterans such as nate & co. Eventually they realize their folly, and then a new generation is born to replace them.

The legions just keep growing, and growing- more fanatical with each generation. Still, they're but meager pawns sent to slaughter against old veterans such as nate & co. Eventually they realize their folly, and then a new generation is born to replace them.

sounds like the Cigarette industry the way you put it..

Ray's layout is very different from Justin's from a technical perspective but I agree, visually they are strikingly similar. Rays DAC is basically a Bithead, Justin's is more along the lines of the Ultra Micro DAC - to make a comparison to existing products. Rays amp section is just a detuned Hornet (same layout, different opamps), I don't know enough about the Pico to speak about its amplification section.

I concur - sorry 909 but your way off base. The predator is nowhere near the sophistication of Justin's pico. To modify nate's analogy, I believe comparing the predator to the pico would be like comparing the bithead to the max dac. The predator appears to be similar to the hornet but with less available voltage swing. Justin believes the pico amp section to be on par if not better than the AE-2.

I concur - sorry 909 but your way off base. The predator is nowhere near the sophistication of Justin's pico. To modify nate's analogy, I believe comparing the predator to the pico would be like comparing the bithead to the max dac. The predator appears to be similar to the hornet but with less available voltage swing. Justin believes the pico amp section to be on par if not better than the AE-2.

perhaps you should read the thread a bit closer... here is my reply to nate....

visually similar is exactly what i intended to convey. thanks for clearing that up. ;)

we all basically agree

this sucks :mikey2::laugh:

I concur - sorry 909 but your way off base. The predator is nowhere near the sophistication of Justin's pico. To modify nate's analogy, I believe comparing the predator to the pico would be like comparing the bithead to the max dac. The predator appears to be similar to the hornet but with less available voltage swing.

When I read 909's post, I understood it to mean essentially that; e.g. superficially appears similar but is, in fact, not and the Pico is more sophisticated.

Justin believes the pico amp section to be on par if not better than the AE-2.

I concur with his finding.

• 3 weeks later...

it isn't even released and looks to be only successful b/c of the rsa bs amp rep and marketing crap.

rippin' off the fuckin' kids while they be payin' their hard earned money...

Hey man hey man. This is some ultimate audio gear right there. It is so transparent you won't even know its there.

• 2 weeks later...
I do have all production brds in stock, we are putting them together at this time as we are waiting for the chassis. The first prototype chassis is at hand, I will post some pictures of it, it is not anodized or silk screened but it will give you an idea as to what to expect.

I will put next to the chassis the Hornet & the Tomahawk so you can picture the size of the Predator.

As to the sound, the Predator has a killer sound, it is hard to tell the difference between the USB DAC & the Meridian G0-8, as the USB is tweaked to give you the warmth & relax sound of the GO-8.

We are still at the mercy of the extrusion manufacturer, but there is a lot of hope that we might get our amps ready for the Holidays or close to the end of the year.

The Predator will be sold as a combo, DAC/amp, & will be sold for $475.00.

As we at RSA, every year, give special Holiday offer to all our friends on head-fi, some call it the intro price, this year is no exception, the Predator will be sold for a short time at intro price of $425.00. We will offer ONLY 200 units for that price. I will let you know when the time is right to send the money, please don't pm us or e-mail as regarding the reservation or sending the money. I will keep you informed as more news become available.

Cheers to all our friends.....

Ray Samuels

Looks like we've got a price. $475 regular and $425 for the first 200. So cheaper than the pico, but not by much.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/predator-portable-headphone-amp-usb-dac-combo-265138/index21.html#post3416426

You didn't honestly expect him to answer technical questions, did you asshat? Ray is clearly very guarded about the components and design of his amps, for whatever reason, that hardly makes him a douchebag and should have told you ahead of time that you were shouting into the wind even trying to ask technical questions.