RSA Predator

purk

I did mention in the sponsored thread of the Predator that if you don't believe in burn-in then the Predator is not for you.

Ray Samuels.

That says alot. It says he is a manufacturer who caters to those prone to mysticism, and knows that they are the only ones who will ingest that kind of bullshit. It still surprises me that it came straight from his own mouth. I know he isn't the sharpest knife in the block, but this is a new low for him.

Manufactures are supposed to be indifferent with regards to these kind of debates in order to maximize profits from both camps. He is alienating a chunk of his potential pool of buyers to reinforce his stance with the majority that lives on snake oil magic.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That says alot.

Since I'm not allowed to reply to threads about the predator over there, I'll say it here...

If you require that people believe in burnin to appreciate your amps, perhaps you should burn them in before shipping them. If it takes 600 hrs to sound good, and you have a 30 day return policy, which leaves people just enough time to burn them in then return them, maybe that's not the best setup?

Since I'm not allowed to reply to threads about the predator over there, I'll say it here...

If you require that people believe in burnin to appreciate your amps, perhaps you should burn them in before shipping them. If it takes 600 hrs to sound good, and you have a 30 day return policy, which leaves people just enough time to burn them in then return them, maybe that's not the best setup?

I actually started a thread over there awhile ago suggesting what you said, but was promptly banned, and the thread deleted. I didn't even single out RSA audio. I just said that since many popular amps require burn in of the "capacitors" then why don't the mfrs just burn in the caps in an array designed to do that, then pop the caps into the amp? It's not very hard or costly to construct a cap burn in farm. I brought up the short return policy of some MOT's and stuff as the reason for the suggestion. I guess they saw that it mainly concerned rsa stuff so it got removed pretty fast.

lifetime warranty, what will ray be doing this shit past the next ten to fifteen years??? ???

call me a callus mother fucker, though this is head-case, but i really doubt he'll still be among the living then... i see the lifetime warranty thing as pure desperation and marketing savvy!

Well its a new year, and it is certainly starting with a bang.

I do like flashbak's quote that the dac in the pico was superior to the

one in the predator, and then ray's fanboys jump all over him. Great

stuff.

For portable amplifiers that use 9 volt batteries (sr71,hornet and a whole bunch of others)

and are not class A (none are) the impedance of the battery is an issue because 9 volt

batteries are a high impedance. So you slap a cap (4 for the sr71) across the battery to

lower the impedance so that the audio does not modulate the power supply.

But lithium batteries are anything but a high impedance. In fact the lithium battery inside

ray's predator has a lower output impedance than that big honking electrolytic cap that is

in parallel with it. A huge waste of realestate. So he perpetuates the myth that the cap

makes all the difference, and the cap takes 600 hours to charge. And then he puts in

an ultra crapo and in my opinion dangerous lithium battery charging circuit.

I'd post the necessary equations to show that a 15000 uf cap takes less than 2 seconds

to charge from a 9 volt battery, and much less than that for a lithium battery, but i'm

just a touch hung over, and about to start the new years festivities.

Ray really has lost it on this one.

I actually started a thread over there awhile ago suggesting what you said, but was promptly banned, and the thread deleted. I didn't even single out RSA audio. I just said that since many popular amps require burn in of the "capacitors" then why don't the mfrs just burn in the caps in an array designed to do that, then pop the caps into the amp? It's not very hard or costly to construct a cap burn in farm. I brought up the short return policy of some MOT's and stuff as the reason for the suggestion. I guess they saw that it mainly concerned rsa stuff so it got removed pretty fast.

You were banned because you were talking about religion. :laugh:

When I sell my tomahawk over there (which I bought as a placeholder since I had no amp at the time) I am listing it as a Cmoy, just for shits and giggles. I'll do that when I get my Ear HP4 around the 2nd week of January.

But lithium batteries are anything but a high impedance. In fact the lithium battery inside ray's predator has a lower output impedance than that big honking electrolytic cap that is in parallel with it. A huge waste of realestate. So he perpetuates the myth that the cap makes all the difference, and the cap takes 600 hours to charge. And then he puts in an ultra crapo and in my opinion dangerous lithium battery charging circuit.

Good stuff here, thanks.

lifetime warranty, what will ray be doing this shit past the next ten to fifteen years??? ???

call me a callus mother fucker, though this is head-case, but i really doubt he'll still be among the living then... i see the lifetime warranty thing as pure desperation and marketing savvy!

I called his legal department and I see how his wording can be clearly mis-construed.

He means his lifetime. :dance:

The Diablo poses more of a concern to be, especially since the chassis is glued, and it says right on the website that none of the parts of the Diablo are user serviceable or able to be modified. With Larry's track record, you would be taking a huge leap of faith buying one of those.

Say what you want about ray's designs and his aggressive attitude (which some can rename as passion), but he does stand behind his work and no one can take that away from him.

Both Ray and Justin had over 100 pre-orders which they are fulfilling in the promised timeframe, and kudos to both of them.

I wish both Justin and Ray, the greatest success in their business ventures, because making money in something that you enjoy is one of life's few pleasures. That and a love of a good woman.

For those that are looking for a component that has a dac and portable able, it's nice to know that there are choices to be made and we are free to make those choices.

Happy New Year and may everyone enjoy all their new toys in 2008.

Wonder when ray is going to go back to his nasty old trick of shipping

his product to some of justin's pre-orders. Just like he did back in the

amp wars days when he sent his amplifiers on eval to anyone interested

in a singlepower.

Ray has offered to send me his personal Predator that is fully burned in to borrow for a comparo to my Pico. I hope to have it by the end of the week and get some impressions formed by sometime next week (assuming my wife does not go into labor between now and then).