Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

Incoming isolation isn't a problem (could actually be good)... I'll have to hope I run across some of these to listen to sometime. I like the K271s but their tonal balance is a bit off for me, and I would like more bass.

Maybe breaking down and buying the velour pads will change them...

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Years ago I had a chance to listen to the A900 and the W100 at Head-fi meetings, one of which NotoriousBIG_PJ hosted. (Thanks again!) I liked the comfort level and general pleasant sound with vocals, but there was something about their upper-mid-range that made them much more coloured than other headphones that were present. Aerius also pointed out that violins just sounded different on those ATs and I fully agreed . On the other hand I think that colouration made them more pleasing with many of the pop vocals to my ears.

And last year I finally got to hear the W5000, and a number of other models. While it was a very nice headphone, it instantly made me remember the old experience with the W100 and the A900. The tonality just didn't do it for me and I expected a bit more for the price, even in terms of build quality. I think it's a case my preference differed from the characteristics of a brand line. I would love to have them just for their ergonomics.

Well, the ESW9 has now been playing non-stop for several days connected to my Pico on my desk at work. I no longer hear excessive bass. Rather I feel like I'm listening to bass as it was meant to be heard. I also don't employ the EQ in Winamp to lower the 12 KHz region, unless I'm listening to particularly bright or harsh recordings. Acoustic music sounds gorgeous out of this combo. ;D

Finally I also managed today to bend the headband enough so that it doesn't grip my head too tight anymore. My earlier attempts at bending had not been successful because I'd been too afraid to break it. Not today. >:D

Now I just need to figure out how to make it less painful to wear the ESW9 over my glasses for extended periods of time. The frame of the glasses hurt my head due to the clamping pressure on the ears (although it hurts less now than previously).

• 1 year later...

You can try searching for posts by

overlunge

ayt999

jjcha

on the other site. I recall they had the most experience with all the AT woodies including the L3000. I believe "ken36" also owned the entire line at one time, but his posts tended to be very brief.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested, here are the two links for the pretty good deals.

Both headphones are brand new and sold by different sellers. The ESW10JPN has been sitting in the guy's house for 2 months and he claims to have not opened the box yet.

ATH-ESW10JPN

Yahoo!?????? - audio-technica ATH-ESW10JPN ?????????

Current bid: 32000yen

ATH-A900ti

Yahoo!?????? - ???????????????? - ATH-A900Ti - ????

Current bid: 20010yen

After doing some calculations, I've decided that this might not be a good time to purchase these, despite the great deals, simply because the yen is still too strong and the canadian dollar is too weak. Now I feel pretty silly because I was going to wait and bid on these cans.

Act now. Auctions ending in 1-2 hours.

Damnit, I don't think I can learn to read Japanese in 1-2 hours.

Well if you're serious about this, you can learn how to bid using a deputy service in 1-2 hours. I haven't used this specific service before, but this is probably your best bet. https://www.japanauctioncenter.com

There might be another deputy service that will be slightly cheaper, but they all pretty much charge around 10% (exluding shipping to you, etc) or something for commission. Be sure to read their fees. I believe they require you to deposit some money via paypal before you can bid that amount.

https://www.japanauctioncenter.com/view2.php?seturl=http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n74911808

https://www.japanauctioncenter.com/view2.php?seturl=http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g77603013

You have exactly an hour for the ATH-A900ti now, and slightly more time for the ESW10JPN.

• 4 months later...

Well I'm enjoying a VERY nice W10VTG that arrived today in the UK from Australia. The best yet over the W5000 I had and the W11R I still have. Also continue to be impressed how well the AT woodies play with my M^3. I'm sure none of this is news to you all, but the experience just makes one want to say something.

• 2 weeks later...