Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, yes, that was bit of an unnecessary rant there, I don't know what came over me. Hmm, I hadn't listened to electrostatics for a while before, maybe that was it. No problems now, happy happy happy! :D

All your ATs are belong to me.

Hey, I thought you joined the Stax Mafia. No problem, you can have first choice of two AT's, I won't miss them.

Yeah really, I'd take a pair of W2002's off your hands anyday.

Oops, I sold it already. Don't miss it at all! :P

[vulture mode]I'll take the ESW10JPN -- I'll even pay for them.[/vulture mode]

Too late, I was going to do an ESW10JPN giveaway for members who like black amps like the BHSE and Aristaeus, but you did your "pfft" and the mood was gone.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Haha, I was wondering who is posting in this thread.

I'm through with AT, they suck! Yeah, I know I'm the OP, this is HC, deal with it! Like I'm dealing with the repulsive title some reptilian wanna-be mod slapppped on me!

L3000 sucks! W5000 sucks! AD2000 sucks! W2002 sucks! W11JPN sucks! A950LTD sucks! ESW10JPN sucks! ESW9 sucks! CM700Ti sucks!

AT doesn't even have one top quality headphone. Sennheiser didn't either (dynamics) until the HD800, but they do now. At least Beyer is trying something with the T1, and AKG had the K1000. All AT has is a lot of crappy models.

Ppfft w5k/ad2k for life ;p

• 4 weeks later...

I think AT has a very unique midrange though it seems to be a hit-or-miss. I started this hobby with AD700 based on HF's recommendations but hated it so it's no longer with me now. The ESW9 is very, very good and I like it better than its older 3x more expensive brother. I tried the W5k briefly in a store in Singapore but I don't have a lasting impression, it sounded kinda bright but has a good soundstage for a closed can if I remember right. My friend has a W1000X and he wouldn't shut up about it so I'll probably pay him a visit in the near future. Based on his stories, it seems to sound like a super-refined ESW9 so it could be excellent.

So how do you guys feel about the AD2000? (serious question here :angel:)

It's OK. I use it with a Zana Deux, I sold off an AT-HA5000.

But there are many headphones I like more, including the W5000. "Many" meaning at least 12, or maybe 15?

I think hating them is a bit extreme, but this is HC after all.

Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Try saying it very fast many times. Ow, my cheeks hurt.

The ESW9 aren't all that great in a technical sense, but the overall tone is fantastic and they are really fun to listen to.

I use mine at work, because they have just the right amount of isolation and are fairly discreet. I wouldn't use them as my primary home headphone though.

Until today, I didn't know about this new W1000X thingie, but it sure looks nice, and a couple of people seem to be at least moderately impressed with it's sound. So suddenly a new 'need' was created in my feeble little mind and then online shopping hysteria took over and the next thing you know I'd clicked my way into a 'deal' with the good folks at Price Japan for a pair of these rascals.

Side issue #1:

They're priced at $523 to the US (with EMS shipping which I've always used with them and have never had any problems), but then you can either pay via PayPal credit card (for an additonal $18 ) or via a bank wire transfer (which would cost more than $18 and would require a trip to the bank). What I found strange was that you didn't have the option of choosing PayPal and then within PayPal selecting the instant transfer option. Or more accurately, you could still do this (and I did, in fact, pay via an instant transfer), but Price Japan's system is set up to automatically link you into your PayPal account with the added fee (of $18 in this case) tacked on.

I just paid the $541 total (via an instant transfer) rather than bucking their system. I could have initiated my own payment to them rather than following their auto link, which would have allowed me to pay $523 instead (since they shouldn't be charged a fee given that I paid via an instant transfer), but I couldn't be bothered (and figured it might mess things up such that they wouldn't send them out right away or whatever). Instead, I wrote a note about it in the comments box, asking them to refund the additional $18 if they are not charged a transaction fee from PayPal (which they shouldn't be, unless my understanding of instant transfers is wrong). We'll see if they refund it. I doubt it, but you never know.

Side issue #2:

I never ship anything like this directly to Cayman or else I'd have to pay a 20% import duty if I did. So I've shipped them to Young Matt in Tampa who'll also be receiving a pair of Beyer T1's fairly soon from TTVJ. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it up there again, but most likely for the weekend of March 5-6th when everyone is planning to get together for a mini beer meet.

Anyone who is passing through Tampa in the meantime, feel free to give Matt a shout if you want to give them a listen. I know already that he'll think the W1000X suck, because he thinks that about all AT cans. But he might like the Beyers! If he doesn't, I hope he'll be quiet about it until I can give them a listen.

Until today, I didn't know about this new W1000X thingie, but it sure looks nice, and a couple of people seem to be at least moderately impressed with it's sound. So suddenly a new 'need' was created in my feeble little mind and then online shopping hysteria took over and the next thing you know I'd clicked my way into a 'deal' with the good folks at Price Japan for a pair of these rascals.

Side issue #1:

They're priced at $523 to the US (with EMS shipping which I've always used with them and have never had any problems), but then you can either pay via PayPal credit card (for an additonal $18 ) or via a bank wire transfer (which would cost more than $18 and would require a trip to the bank). What I found strange was that you didn't have the option of choosing PayPal and then within PayPal selecting the instant transfer option. Or more accurately, you could still do this (and I did, in fact, pay via an instant transfer), but Price Japan's system is set up to automatically link you into your PayPal account with the added fee (of $18 in this case) tacked on.

I just paid the $541 total (via an instant transfer) rather than bucking their system. I could have initiated my own payment to them rather than following their auto link, which would have allowed me to pay $523 instead (since they shouldn't be charged a fee given that I paid via an instant transfer), but I couldn't be bothered (and figured it might mess things up such that they wouldn't send them out right away or whatever). Instead, I wrote a note about it in the comments box, asking them to refund the additional $18 if they are not charged a transaction fee from PayPal (which they shouldn't be, unless my understanding of instant transfers is wrong). We'll see if they refund it. I doubt it, but you never know.

Side issue #2:

I never ship anything like this directly to Cayman or else I'd have to pay a 20% import duty if I did. So I've shipped them to Young Matt in Tampa who'll also be receiving a pair of Beyer T1's fairly soon from TTVJ. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it up there again, but most likely for the weekend of March 5-6th when everyone is planning to get together for a mini beer meet.

Anyone who is passing through Tampa in the meantime, feel free to give Matt a shout if you want to give them a listen. I know already that he'll think the W1000X suck, because he thinks that about all AT cans. But he might like the Beyers! If he doesn't, I hope he'll be quiet about it until I can give them a listen.

You're supposed to order them through Kuboten.com (Lobstersan) then email to him to say that I'm allowed to borrow them for a week or two to try them (I live around the corner from him). ;)

Ok, joking aside, I did give them a go at a local electronics store on their high-end rig, but I find it hard to evaluate ATs with their ridiculously forward mids. If you do like the AT house sound though, they have a LOT of very nice bass, and the ~X versions have a much brighter and more pleasant (to my ears anyway) treble. It'd be interesting to get your and other people's impressions of them.