Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

I haven't heard any really high end AT, or any of the limited editions, but the ESW9 are VERY different from the AD900......
I assume you're criticizing my over-generalization in using the expression "Audio-Technica" house sound -- fair enough. But in broad, sweeping terms, I was just trying to get rid of the Grado house sound, so inasmuch as it's not a Grado, there you have a house sound. So, to synopsize:

ESW-9:HF-2::all A-T's:all Grado's

...meaning it doesn't have the Grado forwardness that the HF-2 does, which admittedly, it doesn't as much as other Grado's.

Better?

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To save up time, I will copy paste my impressions of the W1000X from the other forum here. This is a very intriguing can and I'm still not sure what to feel about it but I can concur with Amos that the very Audio-Technica-like forward and colored midrange is there.

The W1000X is a superb can but riddled with two quirks or so to speak.

First, the W1000X has that very common Audio Technica midrange coloration which can give vocals a honky effect. I personally can live with that but I know others who cannot tolerate it. The second quirk is that the W1000X is not exactly an all-rounder as it's a bit lacking in PRaT and speed. It seems to work best with classical, vocal and jazz but rock and electronica sounds a little bit off with that can.

Given all that, I think it's a steal at that price and I ultimately prefer it to the HE-5 but it's a toss between the W1000X and my own HF2. The W1000X is the more resolving can and has actual depth to its soundstage while the HF2 is more tonally correct and has much better PRaT and speed. The jury is still out there with this one.

• 1 month later...

When I went round to pick up Deadneddz Qualias to try out today, I decided to raid Craig's collection of woodies and have a last shot at appreciating them. So far so good. Stuffed the pads a bit and some of my complaints about them were somewhat rectified, making them quite listen-able. Bit too much mid-bass and the treble is a bit muffled still on all of them, but they are more enjoyable than I remember them, especially the 11JPN.

W11JPN, W10VTG and W10LTD respectively:

4453875392_73412196c1_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Don't feel like posting in HF as I think I'll get bombarded with various requests. Anyway, AT posted a recall out for the following cans due to a cabling error:

ATH-AD2000,ATH-AD1000PRM,ATH-A900LTD,ATH-A900Ti.

Apparently the two ground wires going to the left/right drivers aren't isolated in the Y section. As I know nothing about cabling, I don't have a clue on how much of a bad thing that is for sound-wise. Revised versions has a sticker under the left-"arm" as seen in the picture in the link. So if you have one, keep the sticker :P

Its a free fix, but I doubt they'll eat the shipping for oversea users.

Edited by zChan
edited Title

Don't feel like posting in HF as I think I'll get bombarded with various requests. Anyway, AT posted a recall out for the following cans due to a cabling error:

ATH-AD2000,ATH-AD1000PRM,ATH-A900LTD,ATH-A900Ti.

Apparently the two ground wires going to the left/right drivers aren't isolated in the Y section. As I know nothing about cabling, I don't have a clue on how much of a bad thing that is for sound-wise. Revised versions has a sticker under the left-"arm" as seen in the picture in the link. So if you have one, keep the sticker :P

Its a free fix, but I doubt they'll eat the shipping for oversea users.

Could you recable the headphones to fix this problem?

Nice wood there Lewis. All you need to do now is apply some lacquer to the rack so it matches the headphones!

Thanks. That would look pretty spiffy.

I also demand you change your avatar to something more fearsome! What happened to the archaeopteryx?

Done. Archaeopteryx was great for a while, but lately it seems more like a creature I'd want to dine on than a predator representative of my ferociousness. If not a stoat, maybe Titanis?

I remember that so-called "Superpredator." Oooh, so scary. Predator my ass, there was an avatar fight and I flattened the chicken-looking thing by sitting on it.

HC people really know how to go off-topic. Hey, I have to patrol my threads, you know.

OK, I better say something on-topic. I think 45th Anniversary or whatever big anniversary is coming up is going to be an open headphone, not a woody!