Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

As I mentioned before, the AD2000 was one of my early favorites, and then it was superceded by the L3000 and W5000. The W2002 is good, but I don't think it matches the L3000 or W5000. The W11JPN was a more recent purchase, and I also like it very much.

In order of preference, I would rank them:

1. L3000 w/APureSound V3 cable

2. W5000 w/Enigma Oracle cable

3. W5000

4. L3000

5. AD2000

6. W11JPN and W2002

The main reason the two W5000's rank between the L3000's is that I value details, soundstage, air, separation and imaging precision very highly, more than tonal accuracy, bass quantity, bass quality and fullness of body. The APureSound cable improves and makes up enough deficiencies of the L3000 to vault over both W5000's. I do think the stock L3000 is more refined than either W5000, but it is too closed-in and congested.

As good as these AT's are, none of them rank in the top 5 of all headphones. :( Disappointing for a Team AT thread, I know. I prefer the R10, O2, 4070, HE60 and K1000 over all the AT's. I would assume the HE90 would be in the top 5, making it a top 6 list.

One reason for the two sets of L3000 and W5000 is that I'm waiting for a SinglePower Supra XLR amp. I'm hoping it will improve the performance of the balanced L3000 and W5000, and making Team AT competitive vs. Teams Sony, Stax, Sennheiser and AKG.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having two types of drivers isn't exactly new, people have been doing it with speakers for years. Just because you only have one type of driver and no bass doesn't mean you need to be all jealous. O0

Just because everybody is doing it doesn't make it right... ::) The true musical truth lies in single driver transducers and simple tube amps.

I wished any dynamic could produce the bass of the SR-007 or the 4070. How the 4070 presents bass is really, truly unique...

Wait, what?!?!? I mean, yeah, I saw your reasoning, but I just don't hear it as congested. What amp are you using again?

HA5k. Raptor. BCL.

Hehe... :D

Well, the thing is that Elephas specifically values certain types of sound signatures that are somewhat unique.

Just because everybody is doing it doesn't make it right... ::) The true musical truth lies in single driver transducers and simple tube amps.

I wished any dynamic could produce the bass of the SR-007 or the 4070. How the 4070 presents bass is really, truly unique...

IMO L3000 bass > Omegatew

Well, the cRaptor would explain it. I'm not familiar with the sound signature of the HA5K, and I don't even know what the BCL is. I mean, I'm sure I'll go, "ooooooohhhhhh!!!!!1!" once you tell me, but right now I'm not coming up with it.

I'll be honest and say that the HA5k was surprisingly unimpressive for me with every phone I threw at it other than the W5k (it was decent, but not that good). :P

BCL is the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear. Pretty decent amp imho. :D

IMO L3000 bass > Omegatew

What aspect of the bass are you talking about here as the L3000 is one of the few phones I want to hear. It is the depth, presence, texture or detail?

Btw. The 4070 is something unique as it has very little bloom but amazing depth and detail.

It is the depth, presence, texture or detail?

All of the above, though I don't quite know what you mean by depth.

I'll just say that I think the L3000 sounds like a dynamic Omega 2 (so you'd more than likely prefer the O2), both have exceptional imaging, and are a tad soft in the highs. The Omega 2 probably has better (or different?) decay, both have very fast attack.

The biggest difference being the Omega 2 has more depth to the soundstage, which I do miss with the L3000. But I have the K1000 when I really want that experience (or hopefully some speakers soon!11).

The true musical truth lies in single driver transducers and simple tube amps.
Maybe for you, but not for me. ;)
If by unique you mean completely unnatural, I am with you there. :D
Why does it have to be revolutionary? Why can't it just be a well-engineered headphone?
It doesn't, if you follow what my comment was addressing and put it into that context you will see what I was getting at.