Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

Maybe for you, but not for me. ;)

You should know by now that there is only one truth... ;D

If by unique you mean completely unnatural, I am with you there. :D

It's not some overblown and muddy, one note mess as most dynamics so I'd rather say understated in term of bloom but with depth, texture and detail that's hard to match.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't, if you follow what my comment was addressing and put it into that context you will see what I was getting at.
What, this:
Oh go back to your mediocre 50 year old wanna-be electrostats :P
...? I still don't see how that is apropos. If you were addressing the "50 year old" aspect, "revolutionary" is hardly a requirement. "Not ancient" is sufficient.

No good dynamic has one note bass. I will concede that some electrostats have very nicely detailed bass, but it doesn't sound like the real thing. That's my problem with it.

I can see now why you would prefer the Lambdas with their bloated bass. Nothing wrong with that but we are clearly polar opposites here.

I was always the impression that the only truth was in Patrick82's apartment. ???

Don't bring up that idiot. He could be the poster boy for why everybody hates the Swedes.

I still don't see how that is apropos. If you were addressing the "50 year old" aspect, "revolutionary" is hardly a requirement. "Not ancient" is sufficient.
He is implying that since the design is old it is flawed. I'm asking him to enlighten me on the extreme advancements in driver design over the last 20 years [the K340 is not actually 50 years old]. Based on what I've heard, it is a matter of different and not exactly better.
For the record, I was just busting balls.
Oh, I know. Same here. ;)
I can see now why you would prefer the Lambdas with their bloated bass.
The Lambdas have bloated bass? mkay... :angel:

Thanks for that... now I have to buy a L3k... :mikey2:

You really don't need to. IMO purely based off technical merit I would rank them Omega 2 >= (or equal to, depends I guess) L3000 >>>> K340 (both my pairs, opposite versions).

And I heard bloated bass on the SR-404 and Lambda Pro. It was definitely better on the Lambda (regular bias) but I'd need to spend more time with them to be sure.

He is implying that since the design is old it is flawed.
That was the way I understood it as well. The counter-argument regarding audio-technica headphones is therefore, "so audio-technica designs are not old?", not that they should be revolutionary.

BTW: I, too, am "taking the piss", as it were. Although I probably shouldn't use that particular expression around here.

How much of a difference does each '>' signify? I mean, I can totally understand how people would prefer the Omega 2 to a K340, but 4x better? That's crazy talk. :)

As for the old/bad argument. It was the unwritten message, the implication, that I was adressing. Arguing semantics is pretty much my least favourite thing to do... Why don't you page 909 for that? :D

You really don't need to. IMO purely based off technical merit I would rank them Omega 2 >= (or equal to, depends I guess) L3000 >>>> K340 (both my pairs, opposite versions).

And I heard bloated bass on the SR-404 and Lambda Pro. It was definitely better on the Lambda (regular bias) but I'd need to spend more time with them to be sure.

I might buy a set if I find a cheap one. ;D I tend to go for speakers and headphones based on their technical merit but the HE60 and the open backed SR-Lambda are clear exceptions punching far above their weight class.

The SR-Lambda is a mighty fine headphone but they did a real tumbler with the Pro's. The Signatures are stunning though when fed with plenty of voltage and current.

Long live vintage Audio-Technica and vintage Stax!!! >:D

Long live vintage Stax as it set the foundation for the excelent phones they make now.

The SR-Lambda is a mighty fine headphone but they did a real tumbler with the Pro's. The Signatures are stunning though when fed with plenty of voltage and current.

So I'm guessing I should keep the Signatures when they arrive. ;D

How much of a difference does each '>' signify? I mean, I can totally understand how people would prefer the Omega 2 to a K340, but 4x better? That's crazy talk. :)
So...this isn't semantics?

Oh, and I think it's supposed to be added together, not multiplied. I mean, 4 exclamation points doesn't mean 4 times as loud, does it? It just means three "units" louder than one exclamation point.

I would even go so far as to say it's asymptotic -- I mean, do you really care if it's a thousand >'s, or a thousand and one? Beyond a certain point, one just starts ignoring those things.

WTF?

> means greater then. If you use one between two pairs of headphoines and 4 between two other pairs of headphones it seams like you are trying to setup some sort of graded relationship.

jpak is the one that 'ranked' them so, why the fuck are you even responding? 'Taking a piss' again or whatever the hell you said before? ???

> means greater then. If you use one between two pairs of headphoines and 4 between two other pairs of headphones it seams like you are trying to setup some sort of graded relationship.
In mathematical terms, ">" means "greater than", and ">>" sometimes means "much greater than". Anything beyond that is merely exaggeration on the part of the writer, and speculation on the part of the reader. I suspect, however, that it would be like saying "much much much greater than" -- rather childish, although sometimes we do that on purpose for humorous effect, such as "evah" or "!!!1!".
jpak is the one that 'ranked' them so, why the fuck are you even responding? 'Taking a piss' again or whatever the hell you said before? ???
You got a problem with that? This is a message board -- if you're going to post publicly, expect responses from anyone. If it was meant to be a private communique with jpak, then PM him.

I should go "take the piss". BRB, GGPP.

As was mentioned, I currently use the AT-HA5000, Raptor and Lehmann Black Cube Linear amps, and the KGSS for electrostatics.

I've never heard the DHA3000. I had the chance once to compare the AT-HA5000 and the AT-HA2002 using the W5000 and W2002, and thought the two amps sounded very similar.

I prefer the O2 over the L3000 mainly because of the O2's superb details, sense of air, separation, soundstage layering, and its ultra-precise imaging.

The O2's bass is great, but I think the L3000's bass is the best I've heard, both quality and quantity.

The L3000 has a refined smoothness that is extremely pleasant and ultra-luxurious. I asked myself how could it not be in the top 5? And the W5000, matched with the AT-HA5000?

OK, my new top 5 consists of the O2, R10, L3000, W5000, 4070, HE90 (honorary position, haven't heard), HE60, K1000, and maybe the PS-1 (gotta have a Grado in the list, right?).

I'm not even sure what Midol is, maybe I do need one? :P

I don't care if someone ranks any headphone above another... I was just looking for some confirmation on what jpak meant. I've got nothing against Dusty, but I don't tend to respond well when people pick apart things I say. Sorry if I didn't phrase things clearly, but I think my question was understandable. :)

BRB, GGPP.
hehe, I missed this on first read. :D
Haha, feeling some heat from the Stax Mafia, huh?
Yeah, they're ganging up on me. :(

It's just not cool to like the K340 around here. You're OK if you like the L3000, K1000, HP-1000 or Omega 2. Anything else and you're screwed. :D

I mean, it's not like I have switched to speakers or anything like that! >:D

Elephas, what's more amazing than your collection of headphones is the time it took you to assemble the collection. I believe you and I started this hobby about the same time in nearly 3 years ago. Your passion and drive (and depth of wallet) is amazing and awe-inspiring. I took the journey with you and went as far as the W5000 and AD2000 because you and I seem to share similar aural tastes.

One of these days, I'm hoping to secure a K1000. I had a brief listen to smeggy's pair during a meet in spring, and it sounded amazingly smooth, among other things.