Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So...in anticipation of my newly arriving A950LTD, I broke out my A100Ti's. Their pads were shot, and I'm not getting the response I want from audiocubes, and I haven't heard from Alex (has anyone?), so I broke out some of my others. W1000/W100 -- too small; L3000 -- too small; W2002...nope, sold those. Dang! What am I supposed to do?

(spots Sony CD3000's)

Those look like they might fit.

Alright, so they're a little too big, but that just makes them easier to put on.

Wow, I forgot how good these sound when adequately amped (I had been using them straight out of my M-Audio Sonica). And putting on these oversized pads give them a slightly distant (3rd row back distant, nothing reverberant) Sennheisery sound. I like these! I may have to get another pair of CD3000 pads or another.

The bass will not appeal to the L3000/PS-1/DT770 crowd, but then again, nothing short of speakers or a subwoofer will. And the prat is...well, the L3000 is the king of prat. But these are a bit better than the overly smoov CD3000's. Not inherently exciting headphones -- I am tempted to turn up the headphones, but I am similarly tempted with the HP-2's, so I don't.

So anyway, I'm still looking for pads for these -- anyone know of any sources? I'm still waiting to hear back from audiocubes, but if they insist on not getting them for me, I'm not going to force them to take my money.

Also, how would one go about getting pads for the CD3000's? Sony?

Awesome, so maybe dropping Kohn's name will be sufficient...hopefully. I'll wait until they respond. Yeah, Kohn has always treated me well, too. I think I was one of the first people to buy from him (other than the truly early adopters, such as Hirsch).

So...Elephas...or anyone else who has a large AT collection...I've noticed that the L3000's, W100's, W2002's, and the W1000's have similar size enclosures (I.E. all smaller than the A100Ti) -- any of them have larger enclosures? I know the A100Ti does, do any of the others? I'm looking for possible substitutions, just in case Kohn doesn't come through.

I'm pretty sure I'm not communicating with Kohn:

We will see if the A100Ti has its own replacement earpads. Please note that the A100Ti has already been discontinued by Audio-Technica Japan so most likely the part will not be available. However we will let you know.
I've already implied to them that I won't order any more limited headphones if this is how they show support to their customers (yes, I bought my A100Ti from them).

I've already responded to this, explaining to them that Kohn already responded as recently as March that this was do-able, I was just verifying before I did it (my bad for not getting around to it right then and there) (and actually, I was going to go ahead and just do it, and then show them the email after the fact, but I didn't want them to get the order wrong, so I wanted to put it in the front of their minds, so that when they actually got the order, the chances of it registering would go up just a little bit). I also explained to them that the W2002 is also discontinued, and yet they still sell the pads for that.

Grrr...Pfff...(whine)...Lppp...

So...Elephas...or anyone else who has a large AT collection...I've noticed that the L3000's, W100's, W2002's, and the W1000's have similar size enclosures (I.E. all smaller than the A100Ti) -- any of them have larger enclosures? I know the A100Ti does, do any of the others? I'm looking for possible substitutions, just in case Kohn doesn't come through.

The W5000 earpads are slightly larger than the others. It is thicker with more padding and its diameter is a bit larger. The L3000, W2002, W11JPN, W1000, AD2000 and A950LTD earpads seem to be very similar in size, with some small variations in thickness or padding.

I think the W5000 earpads can fit on almost all other ATs. I've tried them on the AD2000 and A950LTD, so those two are certain. I can try other combinations with the headphones I have on hand, plus the W1000, AD1000, AD900, AD700, A900, A700 etc. at local audio shops. I don't know about the A100Ti.

The back part of the earpads where they wrap around the housing is stretchable and can be pulled with some force, though be very careful not to tear them.

It's possible that not all earpads are available anymore from AT, though they should be able to recommend a suitable substitute.

The L3000, W2002, W11JPN, W1000, AD2000 and A950LTD earpads seem to be very similar in size, with some small variations in thickness or padding.

I don't have the A950LTD anymore. I think its pleather earpads are thicker and puffier than the L3000, W2002 or W1000 leather earpads. They are also more rounded at the edges.

Yeah, so am I (haven't received them yet, and I ain't checkin' my post office box tomorrow, so earliest -- next week).
Got 'em, impressions later (after I've listened to 'em).

They used an old case of "tuna in jelly" box to ship 'em in -- so first impression is that they literally stink, but fortunately the box inside was wrapped in plastic, so they be alright. This is definitely not a box I'll be keeping around to ship something else in later.

Grrr...don't have any of my reference recordings with me, so it's all classical and ambient today, I.E. just burning in. I don't seem to have one iota of anything remotely vocal.

I must say, they're quite comfy, though, and the all black look (with one sliver of silver going around the earcups) is gorgeous. They isolate pretty well -- I think less than my Leatherhead, and more than my A100Ti.

Grrr...don't have any of my reference recordings with me, so it's all classical and ambient today, I.E. just burning in. I don't seem to have one iota of anything remotely vocal.

I must say, they're quite comfy, though, and the all black look (with one sliver of silver going around the earcups) is gorgeous. They isolate pretty well -- I think less than my Leatherhead, and more than my A100Ti.

Must.Know. How close to the L3K?

I had the the A950LTD and it was definitely closer to the A100Ti than the L3000. It definitely has bigger bass response than the both the A100ti and A1000, while has similar tonality to the L3000, but just not as refined. The bass is not as tight or as extended as the L3000. It is also slightly darker than the L3000.

Well, like I said, I don't have any of my reference recordings with me, so I can't tell you for sure, but I think this is the closest to a poor-man's L3K as I've heard. The A100Ti was too smooth (a la CD3000 -- but that may be the CD3000 earpads I was using -- won't know until I get a real pair), whereas this one appears to be retaining transients, although I haven't found anything with distinct transients to speak of yet.

That said, the L3K remains untouched as my current favourite headphone that I own. It is definitely not as extended nor as impactful in the bass, and I'm having trouble telling (aural memory and all that) whether or not it's as airy and detailed. It's got some plentyfine extended upper frequencies to my ears, enough so that if these were the only headphones I have, that's not what I would be complaining about. But I suspect the L3K is cleaner.

More tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that.

Well, like I said, I don't have any of my reference recordings with me, so I can't tell you for sure, but I think this is the closest to a poor-man's L3K as I've heard. The A100Ti was too smooth (a la CD3000 -- but that may be the CD3000 earpads I was using -- won't know until I get a real pair), whereas this one appears to be retaining transients, although I haven't found anything with distinct transients to speak of yet.

That said, the L3K remains untouched as my current favourite headphone that I own. It is definitely not as extended nor as impactful in the bass, and I'm having trouble telling (aural memory and all that) whether or not it's as airy and detailed. It's got some plentyfine extended upper frequencies to my ears, enough so that if these were the only headphones I have, that's not what I would be complaining about. But I suspect the L3K is cleaner.

More tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that.

Awesome, thanks Peter