Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanna check with you guys, my area is warm and humid throughout the year and the level of salt content dissolved in the air is pretty high. I keep all my headphones in a dry box and wipe them clean with a slightly damp cloth after every listening. However, for the AD2000s, I just can't seem to stop the shiny metallic ring or rather, the non paint coated part that shows the raw magnesium, from oxidizing...Its kinda non shiny and matte with like a layer of oxide on it. Any idea how to remove that? Its dead ugly and bothering me....

Well, yesterday sucked -- I stopped being able to tell the difference between the headphones. I've heard Hirsch say the same thing about certain equipment in the audio chain, so I took the X-Tone out completely (I had it set to "off", but still had it in the audio chain; now, it's straight from Rega -> Singlepower). I forgot to bring my silver cables in to work, so I'm working with measly Outlaw PCA's. I may just have to bring a bunch of stuff home tonight.

Well, my W5ks arrived today. Dusty would approve, they are very, very dark black with subtle grain unlike the pair I tried in NYC. I am without an adapter at work that would let me try them but I'm sure I'll come up with a way to listen to them tonight.

Enjoy them, I always did.

That's a little better -- I'm still having trouble telling the difference between the two, but it's not because everything is hiding behind the haze of the X-Tone...there's still a small haze that the silver cables should get rid of, but I feel a little more confident that these phones are very similar. I'm thinking these 950ltd's are really nice.

I may just have to bring a bunch of stuff home tonight.
There's no way I'm bringing stuff home -- the 950ltd's and the Leatherheads and that's it -- the Rega and the Singlepower are staying here -- I'll do some listening with the Xiang Sheng, but that's hardly reference quality. I'll bring in the silver cables on Monday or Tuesday.

Well, my W5ks arrived today. Dusty would approve, they are very, very dark black with subtle grain unlike the pair I tried in NYC. I am without an adapter at work that would let me try them but I'm sure I'll come up with a way to listen to them tonight.

Nice. If you can't find a way to listen to them at home, I'm gonna seriously worry about you.

I got my ATH-ESW9s today. For portable headphones, these sound damn good. I'm pretty happy, and I haven't been happy with a headphone purchase in a very long time.

Nice. If you can't find a way to listen to them at home, I'm gonna seriously worry about you.

You know, it's kinda funny, I operate ampless a lot of the time which is pretty damn odd for someone that builds there own amps. :|

But I found a way to fire them up and I'm listening to them right now. First impression, they definitely sound different than the balanced recabled pair I heard in NYC. The next few hours should be interesting...

I got my ATH-ESW9s today. For portable headphones, these sound damn good. I'm pretty happy, and I haven't been happy with a headphone purchase in a very long time.

Nice! Figure out what the heck you're going to use them for yet? :)

You know, it's kinda funny, I operate ampless a lot of the time which is pretty damn odd for someone that builds there own amps. :|

But I found a way to fire them up and I'm listening to them right now. First impression, they definitely sound different than the balanced recabled pair I heard in NYC. The next few hours should be interesting...

very cryptic ???

Nice! Figure out what the heck you're going to use them for yet? :)

They'll be my work headphones, though since I'm lounging in bed right now, I'm thinking they aren't too bad here. My other headphones are too large to be comfy with a pillow. These are just right. They aren't in the same league sq-wise as my other headphones, but for work, they'll be perfect.

very cryptic ???

Yeah, I'm good like that. :)

First Impressions w/ Wadia 830 -> maxxed Millett Hybrid

Some of what I heard in NY is still there, which is to say that I feel like something is missing from the midrange, I can't quite put my finger on yet. I'm throwing different genres at them right now to see what might highlight it for me. So far female fronted material has faired better than male, with male voices sounding more than a bit recessed and distant. Upper end detail is top notch without being the least bit harsh and the bottom end is decent, good clarity but not a whole heck of a lot of slam. I'm going to throw some metal at them next and see how they do with that before doing some back to back with my Hf-1s and HD650s. More later, unless I fall asleep in my chair.

Yes, very much so. Very light, don't apply any pressure to the head and just kind of float there.

And either my ears are getting more used to them or the amp is just getting warmed up because the more I listen the better and more balanced they sound. More time will be spent with them tomorrow since I didn't compare them to anything else tonight.

I'm joining team AT again.

No headphones though this time.

A HA2002.

It's my favorite SS amp and totally underrated IMO.

The look does certainly add to the appeal

Everyone that doesn't agree is unexperienced, has no clue and is blessed with bad taste. ;)

The former owner is located in the US, and I really hope it will make it in one piece across the pond.

I think you'll like the HA2002 with the W5000, W11JPN, AD2000 as well as the W2002, of course.

I had the chance to compare the HA2002 with the HA5000 using a W5000 and W2002. Both amps sounded very similar. I recall preferring the W2002 with the HA2002 but someone else who was listening liked the W2002 with HA5000 more.

I think you'll like the HA2002 with the W5000, W11JPN, AD2000 as well as the W2002, of course.

I had the chance to compare the HA2002 with the HA5000 using a W5000 and W2002. Both amps sounded very similar. I recall preferring the W2002 with the HA2002 but someone else who was listening liked the W2002 with HA5000 more.

I'm familar with the amp since I did have one on loan for two months this summer.I do like it with most low Z cans I've tried so far.ATs naturally, but also Grados, Denons and the Sony CD3000s.

Suck with HD 650s though so I originally thought it's generally a mismatch to high Z cans but to my own surprise it did drive the monstrous high Z low sensitivity cans AKG K340s quite well.It was a brief test and I have to try it again more critically but I remember having been totally flabbergasted.

It doesn't have the power to drive my K1000s though.

But I thought you are "The Loud One." At least, that's my mental nickname for you when I see your posts.

I think, "Oh, The Loud One's being a jerk again." or "The Loud One really doesn't know what he's talking about."

Stuff like that.

Now, to the person whose mental nickname is "The Awesome," I might consider sending you a W11JPN.