Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

I have a pretty narrow head (see IMDB headshot) so I think that even though I was getting uniform seal around my ears there was very little (if any) pressure applied to the side of my head. The VTG's fit much more snugly while still being very comfortable.

Yeah, narrow heads and W5000's are not the best of friends.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must admit the ESW9's are very intriguing. I've had a hankering for something other than IEM's lately but considering at this point the E500's are still my main headphone I don't want to go spending too much on something else. I tend to prefer an amount of isolation so I gravitate to closed headphones and also considering my amp and DAC will be a Pico I want something that's relatively easy to drive.

From the cheaper end of the spectrum I tried the K81DJ's, I got a recabled pair with velor pads, but they really didn't seem to be my cup of tea. I've had my eye on the Denon D2000's, they're at the upper end of what I might be able to swing at this point but even after all that's been said about them I'm still unsure if they would be for me or if they would even fit my rather small head. Now I see these ESW9's and my woodie fetish has me all worked up. :P From the initial reports I didn't think they'd suit my tastes but after reading more I'm not so sure.

I've got a really varied palette when it comes to headphones, my favorites thus far have been the E500's, RS-1's (with flats) and W100's. The HD580, 600 and 650's I've ever only been lukewarm on, the W1000's I didn't care for too much, too cold and sterile for my liking. K701's I've only heard at a meet and again was just lukewarm on them. Ditto for GS1000's, I only heard those briefly at a meet but instead of being lukewarm it was more of a WTF was that supposed to be impression. I find I'm particular sensitive to sibilance and treble so I've always really liked a warm, full-bodied, tonally rich sound. I'm a bit of a bass head, but prefer it to have decent weight and speed. PRaT is important but sometimes it doesn't go hand in hand with my other preferences.

Back to the ESW9's. :P From the pics these things just scream comfort, as I mentioned I've got a small head, one of the issues I had with the W100's was they always seemed too big and I ended up fiddling with them all the time trying to get them to fit right but the ESW9's look not only like that wouldn't be a problem but they look luxurious. For those of you that have heard them can you say which end of the AT spectrum they lie in? Do they lean more towards the warmer W100's or colder W1000's? So far from the descriptions it seems like they're more towards the W100's but I'd just like to be sure. If that's the case can anyone give a comparison? They've been getting high praise for a portable headphone but the begs the question, how far off are they from being in the league of other full-sized headphones that are considered home based headphones?

I'm beginning to come to some conclusions about the A950Ltd -- it's pretty damn good. In fact, it's exactly what I wanted it to be -- a poor man's leatherhead (and without the leather). It's got nice prat (though not as good as the L3000's), it's not quite as clean (background isn't as black), it's not quite as resolving (but I am not exactly a detail freak)...but damn if it doesn't do a lot of things right. For example, when listening to most music, I'm hearing the same amount of bass, though it's not going as low, it's only on certain recordings that I can really tell where it's going. The opening bass note in the left earcup on Rob Dougan's Furious Angels ("Prelude") is clearly audible on the L3000's, but on the A950LTD, it's inaudible unless I'm straining to hear it (not including compensation for the differences in sensitivity). But switching to Camille's Le Fil ("Au Port"), the bass certainly sounds right. So they must have compensated for the missing lowest frequencies by bumping up the bass just a little bit, but they did it just right, to the point where I can not hear the difference under most casual listening, which is exactly what I wanted.

I'll be getting the A900Ti in a month or two, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Setup:

most listening has been done on Rega Apollo -> Pure Silver Sound interconnects -> Singlepower Supra++, with some done on SACDMods -modded Denon 3910 -> Xiang Sheng 703B, with little attention paid to power. Tweaking consists of your mama touching me at night.

Dac-Ah has been ignored, since it was distorting -- I returned it to its owner to send it off to Pacific Valve to have it fixed.

From the cheaper end of the spectrum I tried the K81DJ's, I got a recabled pair with velor pads, but they really didn't seem to be my cup of tea. I've had my eye on the Denon D2000's, they're at the upper end of what I might be able to swing at this point but even after all that's been said about them I'm still unsure if they would be for me or if they would even fit my rather small head. Now I see these ESW9's and my woodie fetish has me all worked up. :P From the initial reports I didn't think they'd suit my tastes but after reading more I'm not so sure.

I am not a fan of the D2000s, and I like these, though I'd put them at the same quality level, just different sound. Also, I have a pretty small head. I had to hold the GS1000s to my ears, even after messing with the headband, if that gives you any idea. The ESW9s are very comfy, and were so from day one.

I find I'm particular sensitive to sibilance and treble so I've always really liked a warm, full-bodied, tonally rich sound. I'm a bit of a bass head, but prefer it to have decent weight and speed. PRaT is important but sometimes it doesn't go hand in hand with my other preferences.

For those of you that have heard them can you say which end of the AT spectrum they lie in? Do they lean more towards the warmer W100's or colder W1000's? So far from the descriptions it seems like they're more towards the W100's but I'd just like to be sure. If that's the case can anyone give a comparison? They've been getting high praise for a portable headphone but the begs the question, how far off are they from being in the league of other full-sized headphones that are considered home based headphones?

I'm also more sensitive to sibilance and highs that most people I know. I have no problem with these. The only ATs I've heard multiple times are the L3000s and the W2002 and the AD2000 once. The ESW9s are slightly warm and a bit laid back. They, if memory serves, have little in common with the AD2000 and are somewhere between the L3000 and W2002. Amped decently, they really fill out. I wouldn't put them in the same league as any of my home headphones, but they're good and very enjoyable. Because they are portable, closed, comfy, and really good looking, along with sounding good, they're a keeper. I haven't yet tried them out with anything other than portable sources and amps yet. Maybe this weekend I'll see what they can do.

Thanks for the thoughts on the ESW9's, in many respects they seem like they would be right up my alley but there are a few things that have me wondering as well. As always the only real way for me to tell will be to try them myself which I'm thinking very heavily of doing. From the limited amount I've read the A900LTD or Ti's also seem to be intriguing but those are out of my price range.

• 2 weeks later...

ATH-ESW9 Update:

I've had these for three weeks now, and have about 30 hrs listening in and no extra burn-in hours as I really don't care enough to be bothered with that stuff. I was up all night last night due to drinking only one little cup of coffee late at work, and anyway, spent about five hours with a selection of portable amps, sources and cds spread out on the bed. Result? This is the happiest audio purchase I've made since my R10s. Mind you, I'm not comparing them to my home headphones at all, but that's not why I bought them. I wanted closed, comfy, semi-portable, decent sounding headphones that would work well with most genres of music I listen to regularly. I really can't see me looking for another to fill that need now. I originally had problems with the upper mids, but am not so bothered now (if I had to get picky, I still find fault here in slight recession and etchy tone) and amp choice has made a difference. I also originally found them too laid back for rock and 80s-early 90s hardcore, but that was before I really did any listening time with the mini3, and PRII. Damn! Great kick and drive. Drums especially sound stunning. I'm selling my Diablo (if I can :P ) and SR-71 based on last night's listening. Ran through a selection of symphonic classical and some heavy choral works, and though I'm used to more refinement due to home system, it was pretty easy to settle in and just enjoy. I could listen to acoustic folkey/blusey stuff with these headphones and be perfectly happy forever. Small combo jazz also sounds great.

I'm going to spend a couple weeks actually writing a real review with amp/source comparos and use words that might mean something (or not) to others, but for the meantime:

Unamped: yeah okay, but not really after listening with.

Best for everything I tried:

Denon DCP-100/imod > LaRocco PRII (8620 version): full, smooth, but with a nice kick, and best overall balance. Best transportable set-up I've ever heard.

Denon DCP-100/imod (could tell no difference) > mini3: more mid and treble energy, still a great kick in the bottom end, a bit brighter. I could live with this.

These headphones have really nice extension on both ends, and really good balance. Headstage/imaging is mediocre at best, but for what they are, I don't care. Good detail, and separation for the most part, though I'd prefer a bit more air. Ah well. For those who were touting the Denon 2000s as the best mid-priced closed, multi-purpose headphone, these are so much better in every way, except maybe headstage, but the ESW9 sq squashes them, and they're pretty as opposed to the ugly Denons, and I like pretty things.

That's all for now. I'll get back with a full write-up in a couple weeks. It's just nice to be more excited about a headphone three weeks after buying it, so I wanted to say something. If you haven't noticed, I'm pretty judgmental and snotty about things (even if I'm wrong), and I haven't had this experience in awhile. Loving it.

Boomana, thanks for your write-ups so far. I've been eyeing the ESW9 for a few weeks now, trying to figure out if it would fit my requirements for a great work-phone.

Basically, in order to be useful at work it needs to fulfill these requirements:

• not leak sound
  • not isolate too much (need to hear collegues calling and phones ringing)
  • have great sound when amped
  • have sound signature similar to the L3000
  • not too big
  • not too expensive

The last point is still debatable, but from what I've been able to learn from reading various impressions I think the other points are satisfied nicely by the ESW9. I would use it amped with my future Pico w. DAC out of my work laptop. :)

Damn boomana, just when I thought my lust for the ESW9's had abated you go and post further, even more positive impressions. I don't know why but these seem like they would really be up my alley. I'll definitely also be interested to hear your thoughts on how it performs with the Pico.

Ok you AT freaks, what's the story with these?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/ic-audio-technica-w11r-278833/

Hey thats my thread. :)

I've been trying to downsize on the number of cans. Would have kept it if it weren't for L3Ks.

They look pretty similar. ANy idea how other AT cans look like?

I've finally settled on my setup:

E-MU 1212m -> Stello DA100 -> AT-HA5000 -> ATH-W5000

I will be sticking to this for a while.

I think it sounds great! But I'm still trying to the get the W5000 fit right as the bass is a bit too quiet.

Both the DA100 and HA5000 get really hot. I'm a bit worried about that.