Team Sony Unite!

Elephas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Team Sony pic yet.

Why did you sell that pair? I thought you preferred the bass light ones.

He did prefer the bass light ones since they scaled better and were just more representative of the intent of Sony with the r10 (The Japanese sound i.e. bass light but emphasis on airiness soundstage mids etc).

However he finds that the HE90/HEV90 pairing is very similar to the the bass light R10 sound and I think he thinks it does it better than the bass light r10 no matter what amp is backing it.

The bass heavy r10 is sufficiently different from the he90/hev90 to justify keeping etc.

I thinkkk that's the reasoning. Or else the buyer demanded the bass light rather than the bass heavy ;p

He did prefer the bass light ones since they scaled better and were just more representative of the intent of Sony with the r10 (The Japanese sound i.e. bass light but emphasis on airiness soundstage mids etc).

However he finds that the HE90/HEV90 pairing is very similar to the the bass light R10 sound and I think he thinks it does it better than the bass light r10 no matter what amp is backing it.

The bass heavy r10 is sufficiently different from the he90/hev90 to justify keeping etc.

I thinkkk that's the reasoning. Or else the buyer demanded the bass light rather than the bass heavy ;p

Actually, I appreciated both pairs equally. In fact, I would love to keep my lighter bass pair and get a better amp to make them sound better, but I found the bassier R10 to be more enjoyable, although not as refined sounding as the pair I let go. IMO, if one can bring out slightly more bass extension and quantity while keeping the rest of the sound signature unchanged, one can have a close headphone that is superior sounding to the HEV90+HE90 combo. After all, I still like the way the R10 does vocals more than my HE90. I believe the answer lies in the SDS-XLR that is way too expensive for my wallet.

I got all y'all beat -- I got Sony batteries (from the remote that came with my players, several of which are Sony).

I also have a Sony DATMan.

Na na na na

Na na na na

DAT Man!

(It's a DAT Walkman, btw, they didn't get the trademark for datman, someone else did)

• 2 weeks later...

Headphile modded and APureSound recabled Sony MDR-CD3000 with double deep, Purple Heart driver housings and balanced XLR V2 cable.

04.JPG

More pics -> http://apuresound.com/images/cables/hcd3000.html.

Matched with my 4-channel Beta22 and Oberon Audio CDT-1 these modded Cd3k's have maintained my #1-favorite-headphone-of-all-time slot, even in the face of various $1k+ range cans such as Grado HP-1000/PS-1 and Audio Technica L3000.

Vintage Sony ECR-500 and matching energizer box

SonyECR-500.jpg

IMG_3058_2.jpg

IMG_3052_2.jpg

Haven't really had a chance to listen to these old electret's just yet, only some real quick, couple minute auditions using my headphone amp. The Beta22 wasn't able to output enough power, however, to get these suckers to my desired listening volume (they were very quiet, but quite nice in tone and very clear). I'm currently looking into old/vintage receivers and integrated amps to try and find something to drive these monsters.

My favourite Sony device before being seduced by the Sony R10 was the Sony WM-D6C:

800px-SONY_WM-D6C.jpg

It was an absolutely incredible machine, if a bit of a brick even way back then. The sound quality was brilliant and I loved using it, even more so because I stole it from my big brother who got all the cool toys.

Gratuitous pic of an oiled pair of R10:

_DSC00030001.jpg