Bowie - what are the best sounding versions?

deepak

I've read that the early CD RCA issues are supposed to be the best, but I believe I've only heard that version of Low. The recent EMI 24 Bit versions sound terrible. And the Ryko discs are really wonky, some tracks sound ok, others sound terrible, and others have strange frequency anomalies. Anyone else care to weigh in?

I'm happy with the ones I've got... need to check to see the versions.

*checking*

Heroes - Virgin, Digitally remastered at Abbey Road Studios

Hunky Dory - EMI, Digitally remastered at Abbey Road Studios

In other news... I really need to get more Bowie. I have his best of on my MP3 player, but it is really not cutting it. I've been dropping tons of hints though, so if I don't get a bunch of CD's for christmas or my B-Day I will be very surprised. 8)

i really like the original RCAs. a lot. the Abbey Road remasters are pretty crap compared to the originals (i got suckered in to buying a few before i found the RCAs).

Ah I think I remember you getting a bunch for cheap :)

I'm definitely going to try and find these discs

I am still fond of the Rykodisc series, as I was in that other thread. Worth hearing, at least.

I wouldn't mind hearing (track names, as I have much Bowie) examples of the high-frequency stuff you're talking about.

I only own the Ryko for Ziggy Stardust and only have the EMI (double disc) to compare it to (right now, I doubt my regular CD is an RCA). But I'll listen to it again and see if I can find some specific tracks. I might grab the Rykos of Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs just for the bonus tracks.

I'm listening to the original RCA Germany of Hunky Dory (PD84623) and granted it's only MP3 V0 it sounds absolutely fantastic, a tad rolled off up top; but in no way dark.

i guess they are US market versions, but they were made in W. Germany.

Hmm, the masterings on your W German discs might be different from the original USA releases then. ie Man Who Sold the World:

R.C.A PD84654

R.C.A PCD1-4816 (USA)

But Space Oddity:

R.C.A PD84813.

R.C.A PCD1-4813 (USA)

I guess I'll ask over at Hoffman to clear up any confusion. Do you mind posting the catalog numbers for your discs?