There goes my iPod....

Salt Peanuts

My 40gb iPod photo has been acting up the past few weeks, and this morning, it died for the fourth time as I tried to listen to my audiobook during my commute. I had bought this from Best Buy (don't ask me why), and still had their protection plan in place so I took it to their customer service. If I'm lucky, they'll accept it as a lemon and I'll receive a comparable product from the current production as a replacement in 6 weeks. If I'm unlucky, they won't accept it as a lemon and they'll return it to the store in 6 weeks (at which point I can choose to get it repaired).

So either way, I'm without my iPod for 6 weeks and we'll see how long before I break down and end up buying another one. Stupid fucking iPod. >:(

Thanks for the offer, Nate. I had to send the iPod in so I don't have it anymore. I'll just have to contend myself with listening to my audiobooks at home (and listen to NPR during my commute), which really isn't a bad thing.

Oh, I mean when you get it back. Then you can say, "Look, I just had this thing fixed and now it's dead again." If this was the first time it'd had an issue I'd never suggest such a thing but given the craptacular history I'd say it's warranted.

Ah, got it. My favorite was when it first went in for repair because it wouldn't stay on for more than 5 seconds and wouldn't hold any charge. They returned it to me after replacing its battery, but never tested to see if that actually fixed the problem. And since I'm typing this, it didn't. Every time I take it back, I wonder why I didn't just get an Apple care for it.

Ah, got it. My favorite was when it first went in for repair because it wouldn't stay on for more than 5 seconds and wouldn't hold any charge. They returned it to me after replacing its battery, but never tested to see if that actually fixed the problem. And since I'm typing this, it didn't. Every time I take it back, I wonder why I didn't just get an Apple care for it.

Best Buy does have a lemon policy, you should ask about it when you get it back this time. They had to replace my D70 under that rule.

Best Buy does have a lemon policy, you should ask about it when you get it back this time. They had to replace my D70 under that rule.

It's been sent in as a lemon, but they (corporate, I'm assuming) have to accept it as a lemon before it's actually considered a lemon and I get a replacement. Yeah, I know, it's stupid and I told the customer service guy as much. Why all of that is supposed to take 6 weeks is beyond me.

One of my less proud moments was pushing PSP/PRP plans on people when I worked there *shudder* :(

I guess the PRP was alright since it was a replacement and if it broke in the extended warranty period they just gave you another one or something of equal value. The PSP was always sort of shady, and probably depended more on who the customer service manager was if something was to get done. All of those cocksuckers cared way too much about their damn numbers.

One of my less proud moments was pushing PSP/PRP plans on people when I worked there *shudder* :(

I guess the PRP was alright since it was a replacement and if it broke in the extended warranty period they just gave you another one or something of equal value. The PSP was always sort of shady, and probably depended more on who the customer service manager was if something was to get done. All of those cocksuckers cared way too much about their damn numbers.

Yeah, I still don't know what possessed me to buy the PSP instead of just getting an Apple Care. I must have been drunk or something.

• 3 weeks later...

My 4G Ipod would die every so often. The sad face would come up. If holding down the middle and menu buttons to reset it didn't work, then a moderately hard whack fixes it.

Not sure about the cause - something about the harddrive arm getting stuck?

Yours does sound a bit broken though - hope you get it back soon.

Last week, I received a message from the Geek Squad automated messagin/calling system that my iPod has been repaired and it's ready for pickup. Slightly confused, I head over to the Best Buy after work, only to find out that it hasn't really been repaired and that automated messaging system screwed up. I highly doubt I'll see the damn thing before the end of the year.

Haj,

That stinks, Bro. I have a 1st gen 4GB Nano that I can have in the mail to you today, or even meet you somewhere and hand it to you. If you have a small amp, you can use the iMod'd version of the same.

I'm not using either at the moment, as I'm awaiting the Pico for the iMod and have switched to using my BT-enabled phone at the gym (so I can record weights in Excel; what a fucking geek I must look like...).

It's very cool to read "girlfriend" and "borrow" in the same sentence when discussing audio gear. How about "borrow her OII's and BHSE for an upcoming meet." Gotta nice ring to it, doncha think?

Pico with the DAC of course. In addition to amping my iMod when on the road, I'll use it at the office to replace the lil' Bithead I've been using for a soundcard/amp. I'm also look forward to trying it as a line out in the low gain setting to drive the spankin' new SRM-252A.

Let me know when you're ready to get back to the gym; got a few plans that Ellen's had me try. They're based on the number of days you can devote, which might be of interest.

For a gym rig, I still think Ellen's E500s and 2nd Gen Shuffle is hard to beat. Small, clip on, decent sound, and isolation from the Spice Girls blasting through cracked cones.

It's very cool to read "girlfriend" and "borrow" in the same sentence when discussing audio gear. How about "borrow her OII's and BHSE for an upcoming meet." Gotta nice ring to it, doncha think?

Pico with the DAC of course. In addition to amping my iMod when on the road, I'll use it at the office to replace the lil' Bithead I've been using for a soundcard/amp. I'm also look forward to trying it as a line out in the low gain setting to drive the spankin' new SRM-252A.

Let me know when you're ready to get back to the gym; got a few plans that Ellen's had me try. They're based on the number of days you can devote, which might be of interest.

For a gym rig, I still think Ellen's E500s and 2nd Gen Shuffle is hard to beat. Small, clip on, decent sound, and isolation from the Spice Girls blasting through cracked cones.

I'm not sure an iPod counts in this case. Yeah, I doubt I can convince her to get herself OII's and BHSE - baby steps, dude, baby step. At least she doesn't think I'm completely insane in regards to my audio gears.

I think we need a mini-meet soon - I know we've been saying that, but we gotta do one again soon.

I'll let you know about the gym thing - my work schedule is way too inconsistent right now (excuse #349).

Maybe I'll just flood his PM box about it.....

Ian, you know you want to host one - I gotta see the accent wall. :D

Ian, I hear Kittery is very nice this time of year. Hey, while visiting, how about you host a mini-meet?

Salty - Actually, that was you buy her the gear and I borrow it... >:D And the gym excuses do eventually run out. I made it to excuse #756 and 20lbs overweight before I finally ran out of excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about calling the Best Buy about the iPod when I got a message on my cell that it was ready to be picked up. So I trot myself over to the store, and I'd somehow managed to qualify for what they call the "junk order." Long story short, I now have a brand new 80gb iPod classic. The Geeksquad guy that was helping me was amazed, telling me that it was the first service request that qualified for either "junk order" or their lemon policy at this particular store in at least the last three months.

I'm just seeing all of these posts... I'd be all for hosting. I have plenty of seating and should have more than enough room for mulitple setups. As long as the cats aren't an issue for anyone, I say bring it. The problem with going fully open-concept is there's no place to lock up the little critters.

Weekends are free through January 10th... Sundays free after that.