Best closed-back to use in the office.

greenpips

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for a Denon D9200.  More discrete looking than the ES-R10.  Really efficient and great sounding too!  I still find the ES-R10 better but I don’t think it is suitable as an office headphones.

2C319FD8-BB24-443F-8BD1-6B71C36F257C.jpeg

Edited by purk
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Another vote for the DCA Aeon 2 Noire here
Just gave these a short listen yesterday. Might borrow them for longer if I can get a balanced cable as I didn't hear it properly driven, and yet the tuning on these is really-really good. Naturally full, yet not dark.

Where it fails is where basically any closed-back does, is that the bass is not very high quality for instrumental reproduction.
And of course it has very little chance to resolve as well as an estat. But it's not mushy at all and more punchy. Needs some power.
Otherwise, it is isolating (unlike most full-sized closed backs), well-built, folds down a really compact size etc. etc. just a nice sound with a high usability factor.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am testing the Aeon 2 Noire at home (in balanced configuration, improves dynamics).
I need to revise my opinion. The treble is a bit prominent (as graphs show), but that's not the problem.
I inherently dislike how the bass is reproduced. A real shame, otherwise it would be quite nice.
(Also unsure about the Harman Curve in general, maybe diffuse field is a more natural target for my ears.)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ivanouk said:

After tried many CB in the past, I am now happy with the Hifiman Sundara closed, although less 'audiophile' such as the Denon 9200,  I enjoy the bass much and no fatigue.

What amp are you using?  Amps make a world of difference, when it comes to bass.  The Headamp Pico Power does a wonderful job of controlling the bass to the point of bondage and discipline, with a dominatrix's hand.

...not that I've ever experienced that.

innocent whistle GIF

• Haha 2

@Dusty Chalk  @swt61

At office I use it with the Xduoo XD05 bal, sounds good for my taste, very clean, bass and sub-bass tight and precise, handy size, good in BT too.

In office also have an Arcam Solo I use sometimes to listen classical music with the DT880 600 ohm (in evenings of extra work :(), works well with that too, but prefer the Xduoo.

At home I have Stax.

1 hour ago, ivanouk said:

@Dusty Chalk  @swt61

At office I use it with the Xduoo XD05 bal, sounds good for my taste, very clean, bass and sub-bass tight and precise, handy size, good in BT too.

In office also have an Arcam Solo I use sometimes to listen classical music with the DT880 600 ohm (in evenings of extra work :(), works well with that too, but prefer the Xduoo.

At home I have Stax.

Pico-Power-2_2000x.jpg?v=1570923161

It doesn't get much handier in size than the Pico Power -- those are 1/8" jacks on the front. 

Funny you should mention the DT880 -- I use my Pico Power with the DT1770.

Also, it comes in purple.

• Like 2