Meh. Pfff.

Dusty Chalk

I'll post this in portable audio, since I'm going to talk about my car.

My head unit is borken -- it won't play CD's. I suspect it's just an alignment problem, but since it's a proprietary system built by Clarion for Suzuki, I'm thinking I'll probably have to replace it. So I'm having a hard time finding what the dimensions of the unit are without taking it apart. Clarion incorrectly labels it as a Euro-DIN unit, which it's not. Euro-DIN is close to single DIN, but mine is closer to a double-DIN. External dimensions of the faceplate are 3 3/4" x 6 3/4", which is smaller than my understanding of a double-DIN to be (3 7/8" x 6 7/8"). (Car is a 2004 Suzuki Aerio SX.)

I want to get the Sony XAV-W1 (SACD/DVD player), which is a double-DIN. So the question becomes, can I shove it in there? It'll probably have to be a custom hack -- tear up the dashboard, get a new harness, jerry-rig it in there, etc. But I'm thinking I've got a couple more years in this POS, so...why not? My car is pretty safe both at home and at work, but I have had it broken into when I've gone downtown to concerts and such, so I wouldn't mind it being removable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ones who's parents either 1) can't afford the lexus, or 2) want their kids to not seem too wealthy

Or who are like my dad, and are just cheap...that's why I drove a 74 Datsun B210 in 1986. These days tho, kids in my situation would have a cheap new car instead of a beater.

Eh, I wanted a car, but never bitched about it. Then one day when I was 21, my father bought me one. Now I'm selling it and giving his money back. =T

Not singling anyone out. I mena damn if your parents want to buy you a car, then hey great for you! The difference to me is APPRECIATING your parents' generocity, or EXPECTING it.

It's the kind of car parents buy their overprivileged kids.
Actually, I bought it myself. It was between that and a Scion xA, and the Scion just didn't have enough oomph for me. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought that $8K used Subaru Forester I saw, or spent the extra couple thousand and bought the Mazda3 hatchback I really wanted (they were actually pretty close in price, but the moonroof/sunroof/whatever is not an option on the Suzuki, hence saving me a little).
Check with crutchfield.com for what will fit, they're usually dead on.
I did. They are always very helpful. Here is their response:
After researching the vehicle I have found that we do not currently offer a dash kit for your particular vehicle. This would also be the reason the website will show the Euro-din style radios. This style of radio is considered a universal fit in most cases. However, for the opening in your dash for the radio, the only solutions would be to fabricate a mounting kit for your vehicle or to take the vehicle to a local installer in your area.

I wish I had better news for you there.

So basically, I need to yank out what's in there, and possibly hack away at the space to make the Sony fit. I actually do know a site that does custom install jobs, but not sure it's worth the extra money, and was looking for alternatives.

By the way, my post above was incorrect, when I wrote "Clarion incorrectly labels this as a Euro-DIN unit", I meant "Crutchfield incorrectly labels this as a Euro-DIN unit".