Windows Laptop for Autocad

The wife needs a new laptop and it needs to be able rot run AutoCAD seamlessly.   Since I’m an Apple  person, I’m not so aware of the high end Windows workstations.  I’m assuming some gaming computers might work well but them may not be optimized for what she does.  Also, she probably wants something businesslike (she does game).  Any engineer types that could recommend something?  Was looking at Dell Precision and Lenovo Thinkpad.  Should have a good keyboard, etc.  

When I left my Government position last fall, the company I went to work for ordered a new laptop for me.  It was a Dell Precision 3551 Mobile Workstation.  Intel i7 5.1GHz Processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSHD, NVIDIA 4GB Graphics Adapter, 15.6" screen.  It has zero issues running AutoCAD... I use Architectural Desktop.  The keyboard seems better than most I've tried.  And it's pretty well put together for a Windows machine, though the cost is still staggering considering it's nowhere near the build quality of a MacBook Pro.  

Edited by en480c4
  • Like 1

AutoCAD for the Mac is somewhat limited.  When I was researching it there was at least some functionality I used that was not available. Autodesk has a comparison showing what is and isn't supported between versions.  That said, it may still be faster running a Windows version in Parallels.  

• Like 1

I tried to convince her to go Mac but she's comfortable with Windows and doesn't want to change.   So Windows is a must.  

Who has the best build quality when it comes to Windows computers.  I've heard good things about the Thinkpad keyboards but that was long long ago. 

I'd agree with Ian, but would bump up both RAM and maybe video memory.  A couple of folks on my team doing Data Science got Dell Latitudes with 32G RAM and I think 6G NVidia video memory.

The Dell - both Precision and Latitude, though Precision may have better keyboard - and Lenovo laptops would be my recommendations as well....

And she should be prepared for driver updates, another thing (HW and driver stability) Apple has over PC's....

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shellylh said:

The wife needs a new laptop and it needs to be able rot run AutoCAD seamlessly.   Since I’m an Apple  person, I’m not so aware of the high end Windows workstations.  I’m assuming some gaming computers might work well but them may not be optimized for what she does.  Also, she probably wants something businesslike (she does game).  Any engineer types that could recommend something?  Was looking at Dell Precision and Lenovo Thinkpad.  Should have a good keyboard, etc.  

I just recently got myself this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1657652-REG/asus_16_vivobook_pro_m7600qe_xb99.html

32G, AMD Ryzen 9, high-res OLED display albeit non-touch, under $2K.

I waited forever for it, though (well, 6 months, but with today's technology, that's eternal).

They also have lower end models.

• Like 1

I'd see if there are any comparisons out there for the Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio.  It's the closest thing I've found to macbook build quality and I have multiple friends that run AutoCAD on it - I just don't have direct experience.  It games just fine though.