Rank Your Headphones

Nanoha

• 1 month later...
Can't wait to see more of Smeggy's fine craftsmanship.

Did he supply everything or did you have to send your cans to him for mods, or maybe his own personal cans?

I sent him two pair of T50RPs. Tony (from our Milan, Italy contengent) bought the headphones for me to modify for he and I. It just didn't look like I would have the time to get to them though, and quite frankly why not go with the tried and true Smeggy creation. I doubt I could top it. And they look so damn good!

AT L3000 Leatherhead (listening to these right now)

Grado PS-1

AT VTG

Stax SR-202

AKG K501

Sony MDR-CD3000

AT A950LTD

AKG K271 MkII -- I think, haven't listened to them in a while

Beyerdynamic DT770

Grado HP-2(-3?) -- wow, I didn't realize my tastes had changed so much that these had sunk so far -- it's not that I dislike them, they're just so different from everything else I have, that I have to be in a very specific mood to want to listen to them, and that mood has hit me less and less of late.

Sony MDR-F1 -- I really haven't listened to these in a while, don't even remember what they sound like

Ditto everything else (other Beyers -- DT931, DT990, something else, the blue metal limited Audio Technica from years ago)

Stax Lambda (once I get them working again)

Realistic Pro 30 (modded these to be pretty damn musical)

AKG 240DF

Various SFI projects that are no where near completion.

manaox, how are your Fostex's modded? I plan on getting a pair soon. Accounts from NoNoNoNoNoNo place them above the 701s. I didn't especially like them but we will see.

manaox, how are your Fostex's modded? I plan on getting a pair soon. Accounts from NoNoNoNoNoNo place them above the 701s. I didn't especially like them but we will see.

They have bitumen stuffed around the drivers and a few strips inside the cups, reflex dots cut from electrical tape, and craft felt over the back of the driver. I'm still working on my mods, though I've put off playing with them for a while now and have to resolder a wire I pinched off from the driver joint before I can make any new auditions.

I bet I would prefer them to the K701 in memory as well, but haven't directly compared and believe that can be more attributed to my taste in headphones.