Rank Your Headphones

Nanoha

Been liking the A250 a lot lately. Don't know what the hell is wrong with me. The brightness doesn't bother me quite as much. Very nice airy and open sound, clear, great soundstage, good bass, really crisp/sharp attack with extended decay. very dynamic. Maybe this is my mind trying to tell me to get the ESP950? If it is anything like the A250 but minus the colored mids and excessive treble energy I willl probably like it a whole lot.

Don't know how it ranks but it's not going to threaten the O2 any day soon.

Yes, in general, the lower in the 6-9 kHz range the peak is, the worse (and grating) the sibilance.

Btw, I used to own the A250 and it was a sibilant mess, but I thought that it was mostly poor handling from my amp. Another can which changed completely its character with different amps was the Sony CD3000. I tried it with a Mini3, iBasso T4, CKKIII and even unamped iAudio 7. The highs were the most pleasent when using the Mini3 or the dap, the CKKIII used to make them a bit sharper. The T4, surprisingly (since it's usually opaque), turned the CD3k into a hell of sibilance.

• 2 weeks later...

Chocolate donut mkII

AKG K340 (rewired and on its way to becoming fully modded)

HD650 ties with SR-225 (HD650 gives a better presentation but is dull at the volumes I listen at, SR-225 is fun but uncomfortable and has too forward a bass presentation for me).

Proline 750, its good for testing things and folds away small, not used for pleasurable listening.

HD800

O2 Mk1 (just waiting for a better amp)

HP1/HP2 (tied, polarity switches don't better/worsen the sound, so tied with button version)

ESW10JPN (simply because of value/performance ratio and bonus points for portability)

HF2

RS1/HD600 (tied for me, depends on mood)

HF1/MS2i (harldy use these, so don't remember, that will change as they will be put into rotation)

GS1000

V-moda vibes (use these during exercise)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

updated

Tier 1: Headphile AKG K340, ATH W5000, ATH AD2000, ATH W11JPN

Tier 2: ATH A900ti, modded YH100, Balanced HD650 (maybe these just needed tubes), K501,

Tier 3: K240DF, DT531, K241(K240LP),

Tier 4: W100 w/ W5000 drivers, HD25-1, AKG K271, AKG K141, DT880 '05 Edition, MD5000,

Tier 5: K240MP, K240 Anniversary, Shure SCL2, AKG K81 DJ

There's a good chance the W5000 and AD2000 would be rated better than the K340 if they were amped with the Zana Deux

Tier 1: these are a joy to listen to

Tier 2: slight shortcomings but very nice

Tier 3: not quite sure about these, a little too kinky for my taste

Tier 4: huh?

Tier 5: giveaways

Tiers 4 & 5 really shouldn't be rated, they failed at a lot of things

• 3 months later...

Past and present (some headphones might be off by one tier, depending on my mood):

Tier 1

AKG K1000

Tier 2

Stax Lambda, Stax Lambda Pro, Stax Lambda Sig, SR-X mk3 -> now Pro, Jecklin PS2

Tier 3

SR-5NB, ESP10, Superex PEP-74, Beyerdynamic ET1000, AKG K340

Tier 4

Fostex T20v2, Fostex T40v1, Concept CE-H, Audio Technica ATH-702 SFI, AKG K501

Tier 5

AL im716

Tier 6

Fostex T50RP, Ety ER6i

Tier 7

AKG MP and LP Sextetts

Tier 8

KSC75

A lot of these rankings could and will change because I haven't gotten around to modding a lot of these headphones yet. Will get around to the ET1000 tonight, at the very least.