Rank Your Headphones

Nanoha

PS3000
What are these?
HHF1 -> PS1 -> HP1 ...
No way! The HHF1 greater than the PS1 and the HP1?
These are personal preference with a bit of performance mixed in. I wouldn't want to try to separate the two.
Well said, I will be taking this approach as well.

I have to think about mine, will get back to you.

I put them above because they ARE better than the 340 IMO. It was incredibly mediocre when I had it, and I even built an amp for it. The triple.fi had bass that didn't absolutely suck. The 340 excels at the midrange, and I have found I enjoy the AT midrange much more. The 340 as only good for electronica, and I found the 701 to surpass it in everything else. I think its just safe to say we have different opinions on sound.
More likely is that you had the bass heavy K340's and they weren't happy in your setup. To be honest, the Audio Technicas I've heard are the A900, the W1000 and the W100. From what I understand in my readin' those VTG's and L3000 drivers are quite a bit different. I wouldn't be surprised if I liked them.
Or bad ears when they prefer something other than your 340?
Ummm, I think it is clear that we are making playful jibes at eachother [or at least that is how I took it]. I always call IEM's fucking earbuds, it is part of my witty charm. As for the K701s, no, I don't see how someone could prefer them to a K340... but unlike Art, I don't tell people that they are wrong. I just voice my opinion. You are more than welcome to prefer the K701, but I'm allowed to think that is completely whack! :D

More likely is that you had the bass heavy K340's and they weren't happy in your setup. To be honest, the Audio Technicas I've heard are the A900, the W1000 and the W100. From what I understand in my readin' those VTG's and L3000 drivers are quite a bit different. I wouldn't be surprised if I liked them.Ummm, I think it is clear that we are making playful jibes at eachother [or at least that is how I took it]. I always call IEM's fucking earbuds, it is part of my witty charm. As for the K701s, no, I don't see how someone could prefer them to a K340... but unlike Art, I don't tell people that they are wrong. I just voice my opinion. You are more than welcome to prefer the K701, but I'm allowed to think that is completely whack! :D

The w100 is terrible compared to both the VTG and the 3k drivers. And the w100 was the best you heard of the bunch. I couldn't stand the stock w100 (I had two early serial number versions)

And of course they are playful jabs. :)

What are these?

As others said, cd3000s with wood and ps1 drivers

No way! The HHF1 greater than the PS1 and the HP1?
To my ears, yup. But I do have a much better amp now than I did with the ps3000s and hp1. I definitely prefered my hhf1s to the pf1s (woodied ps1s) at the july meet
Well said, I will be taking this approach as well.

I have to think about mine, will get back to you.

That was my approach as well.

Based on personal preference and Ignoring wider and more specific issues (amplification, etc). And listing headphones I've owned (or been loaned a long time) only.

1) Stax SR-007 > TakeT H2 > Precide Ergo AMT

2) Jecklin Float Electrostatic PS2 > Stax SR-202 > Stax SR-3N > Precide Ergo 2 > Jecklin Float Model 2* > Sennheiser HD650 > JVC DX1000

3) Yamaha HP-50A (recabled) > B&O A8 > AKG K340 > Grado HF-1 > Jecklin Float Model 1

4) Sennheiser PX100 > Sennheiser HD545 > Sennheiser HD280 Pro

999) Sennheiser CX300

Everything else isnt worth bothering to classify (fake PX100, iBuds) or doesn't fit. (the Surrounder).

*Not one single person in their right mind would put these here. Its inexplicable why I like them so much.

you really like Darth Beyers over SR-60s? [me=EdipisReks]vomits[/me]

;D Truth is that I don't remember the SR60s all that well. I had them before I found head-fi, used to take them to work with a microamp. My boss would swipe them for his own listening pleasure, and finally made off with them completely, sticking $40 in my mailbox as compensation. I couldn't really complain as he bought me an ipod a couple years ago for no reason other than overhearing me tell another I wanted one, and regularly leaves new CDs in my mailbox that he thinks I'll like.

The Darths were fun headphones. I didn't listen to them often, but when I was in the mood, I loved them. People who swear by them freak me out a little, though. One reason I don't pay much attention to Skylab's portable reviews are that they are his favorite headphones, making me think he's not hearing in all those amps what's really to be heard.

Best to worst (best to worst in individual tiers as well):

Tier 1 (truly exceptional I would own them to the end of time if had infinite time to listen)

AKG K1000 (both 10000 serial #)

Audo Technica L3000

Grado HP-2 (x2, both pairs equal)

Tier 2 (Very good)

Sennheiser HD650

Grado HF-1

Tier 3 (Good)

Sennheiser HD580

AKG K340 (bass heavy) / Grado SR-225

AKG K701

Stax SR-404

Altec Lansing im716

AKG K340 (middle ground)

Tier 4 (usually excellent value)

Alessandro MS-1

Grado SR-60

AKG K81dj

Audio Technica A500 (really pretty bad)

Sennheiser HD590

Koss KSC75

Shure E2c

Koss SportaPro

red = no longer own

yeah the K340/SR-404 were kinda junk :P (SR-404 are actually probably the worst value headphone I've ever bought considering they sounded so bad and required an energizer)

Senn HD580 was borderline very good/good, I bumped it up to very good since it's only ~ $160 (and I do enjoy them quite a bit on even very amateur systems)

on K1000 vs L3000 it's very hard to rank one over the other. But purely based on technical merit the K1000 exceeds the L3000, but for listening time the L3000 gets most of my attention. This is because I don't have an amp for the K1000 at the moment and secondly I really love rock, jazz and blues on the L3000.

Hope that helps your research Nanoha, I think I've ranked every headphone I owned but I'm sure I forgot some :)

oh shi...DT770...put them below the KSC75

e: if I got those Avantgardes I'd probably sell everything except the L3000 and K1000. It would be tempting to sell the K1000, but the SET 300B amps (Wavelength or Coincident) would probably sound too good with the Ks