Rank Your Headphones

Nanoha

This list reflects my personal preferences only and only stuff I currently own is on the list. All Grados are amped with a Grado RA-1. For everything else I use a Cosmic Reference (except the Lambda Pro which is a system and the Etys which I use unamped):

Grado RS-1

Senn GD-600 & HD-650

Stax Lambda Pro, Sony MDR-CD3000 (I tried these with the Grado amp once and I thought my ears were going to start bleeding!) & Ety ER-4P

Grado SR-325

Grado SR-60 & Senn HD-414

Koss PortaPro & KSC-35

I'm still a noob when it comes to audio, and I've only heard mid-fi at best. Most of what is discussed in this forum goes way over my head and budget level...

1 2005 DT990 (I've heard an RS2 plugged into a good NAD receiver, and I'd put it on this level)

2 HD555

3 HD497 / KSC 75

4 E2C

5 Marshmallows

OK, lemme give this a shot.

Top - These are the headphones that right now i can remember really thoroughly enjoying with few to no disappointments:

ECR-500

DT880-S (Edition 1980)

DT990 (Edition 1990)

K240-DF

K240-Sextett MP

Yamakoax (ortho transplant of my own construction)

Almost Top - Still excellent, nothin wrong with them, magic less than complete. Deserve to be in the "top" list except for my own neurotic issues:

T40 v1

T20 v1

T50 v2

YH-100

QP85

SR-X III

Pro 30

K240-M (early)

DT770 Pro/80

Middle - Still real good. Many enjoyable hours:

SR-80 Pro (Stax)

SR-30

DT250-80

K340 (bass-lite) (That's right, you heard me. MIDDLIN.)

HOK 80-2

Fair - no complaints:

K260 Pro

HD25-SP

QP55x

Meh - meh:

Pro4AAT

ATH-A900

This list will probably get edited as i change my mind, remember headphones that aren't mentioned here, etc.

It's ok, not everyone has taste. >:D

It aint a bad headphone, but some of the weird resonances in it bug me as compared to headphones that are wholly dynamic or wholly planar. Too many compromises in the design.

I still say that the K145, which i forgot to put on that list, is better. 'course, I've also come to understand that my K145 was modded by a previous owner.

I've been trying to get a pair for a while, they are really rare. :)

I know a guy who knows a guy who can sell you a NOS pair for something like $80. I paid about $21 shipped from austria for my pair.

Thing is, stockers, they come with a plastic grille over the driver module and pleather donut earpads. My pair lacks the grille and has a thin foam donut covered with a lycra bonnet. The lycra bonnet might be a sennheiser part, dunno where the foam came from - could cut your own.

They are not for bassheads, though.

Top - These are the headphones that right now i can remember really thoroughly enjoying with few to no disappointments:

ECR-500

DT880-S (Edition 1980)

DT990 (Edition 1990)

K240-DF

K240-Sextett MP

Yamakoax (ortho transplant of my own construction)

:D :D :D <-- happy Fitz face (yes it comes in threes)

I know a guy who knows a guy who can sell you a NOS pair for something like $80. I paid about $21 shipped from austria for my pair.

Thing is, stockers, they come with a plastic grille over the driver module and pleather donut earpads. My pair lacks the grille and has a thin foam donut covered with a lycra bonnet. The lycra bonnet might be a sennheiser part, dunno where the foam came from - could cut your own.

They are not for bassheads, though.

Lycra?

Modding them shouldn't be a problem. :D

Hook me up with your guy who knows a guy. $80 for NOS isn't bad at all. :)

I seriously doubt that they will replace my K340's, but they could be a cool portable headphone with some mods.

• 6 months later...
Guest troymadison

I'll give this another go :/

MB Quart QP250

AKG K501

Denon D2000 (Sold)

Beyerdynamic DT770 (Sold)

AKG K500 (Sold)

Sony MDR-F1 (Sold)

AKG K701 (Sold)

AKG K601 (Sold)

MB Quart 45x

Sennheiser HD580 (Sold)

Sennheiser HD650 (Sold)

Koss Portapro

Koss KSC75

• 4 weeks later...

Audio Technica W1000 and they are the best in the universe nothing else needed, enough said. If you do not believe me I will have some of my Samoan associates come over to your place and kick your ass.

Audio Technica W1000 and they are the best in the universe nothing else needed, enough said. If you do not believe me I will have some of my Samoan associates come over to your place and kick your ass.

After you said that I totally believe you :P. Don't want some Samoan associates kicking my ass and leaving a permanent imprint :)