new foobar has the best pretties look evar.

hYdrociTy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did rip the DRM out with hymn, but about 75% of the tracks get "damaged". Meaning, it sounds like somebody is hitting a mute button at times, or more closely, like CD skipping. Besides the fact regardless of what option I use (copy to folder and back up folder, or just to back-up) I get the duplicates showing up in my iTunes list/folder....so you can imagine how much of a PITA it was to clean up 5 gigs worth of music that had to be decoded.

• 1 month later...

sounds to me like you should manage your iTunes library manually instead of allowing the software to do it. if Jhymn isn't working for you, burn to a CD-RW and rip at the same bitrate as the original, and you should get decent results.

0_o Unless the source file was lossless, that procedure is going to result in an awful transcode that will be full of artifacts.

the iTunes music store stuff sounds shitty anyway, so who the fuck cares?

I can't say, as I have never purchased music from the iTunes store. I wouldn't want to make a bad situation worse, however.

I did buy a few FLACs from Music Is Here, a digital download company based out of Latvia. $1 per file, no DRM. Sounded pretty good to me.

most of the iTunes stuff is 128 AAC. i don't think ripping and encoding is going to have a substantial effect.

listening to the new radiohead album in MP3 made me once again realize how much I dislike lossless. mostly its that bloaty bass muddy soundstageless sound it creates that drives me bonkers.

listening to the new radiohead album in MP3 made me once again realize how much I dislike lossless. mostly its that bloaty bass muddy soundstageless sound it creates that drives me bonkers.

You can get a V0 VBR rip for both discs. IMO that's damn near lossless right there.

• 1 month later...

Well, you can click the square icon in the bottom right corner and it makes all of the library info on the right go away. I usually only have that up for browsing. Then the Now Playing info recenters. And the file info below can also be turned off just by clicking it. Here it is with no background and the library and file info areas turned off.

1200336716_foobar_simple_screenshot.jpg

I haven't been able to get the playlist to load up on the album cover.

The mirrored shadow only shows up for me without a background.

Ah, that could be it. I'll try it when I get home.

Did you code your directory browser and playlist browsers so that they're not white?

Finally installed the "new" foobar, and basically it answered all my problems. It gave me a simple, paneled interface with no fancy graphics that I setup to use with ASIO in about 2 minutes. Wonderfully done! Actually glad to be rid of Winamp, which while easy to use, always takes to long to startup and has a bunch of bloatfeatures I'll never use.