Data breach password change

rod

Just to alert others of this as I have an alert set up for any data breach of all my accounts.

I had a message that there was a possible data breach for my head case password so have changed it

All my passwords are super random and long and are stored in a password vault (highly recommended).

But if someone dressed as me starts posting a lot in the:

• What are you drinking now?
  • What are you watching now?
  • What tv show are you watching now?
  • What are you listening to now?
  • What is the last movie you saw?

...threads

- let me know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had to encrypt a file manually, and provide the password to the recipient via non-email means, so the guy tested the password I came up with.  It told us that the password I came up with had a chance of being guessed was one in undecillion.  He said he didn't know how many zeroes there were in undecillion, so I looked it up.  Turns out, it's 36 in Merkin and 66 in British.  Weaksauce.

I'd still want to be an undecillionaire in either country.

just XOR each byte of the data with binary 10101010...

• The algorithm is extremely fast to both encrypt and decrypt,
  • is one of the few encryption systems that takes the same time to encrypt as decrypt, 
  • the encrypted data is no larger than the original data
  • It does not rely on a "random" number generator backdoored by the NSA to be predictable.
  • It is also one of  the few encryption algorithms that is exportable without a license and can be used in products sold to countries such as North Korea.
  • Almost all processors implement XOR in hardware providing hardware accelerated encryption
  • the algorithm is simple enough to be implemented on 8 bit and 16 bit architectures providing true cross platform portability and compatibility.
  • To  make the encryption key more difficult to guess it is optional to rotate the key by 2 bits to either the left or the right i.e. 10101010 -> 10101010. Implementing the key shift does not break compatibility with systems that don't bit shift the key, this is true even if the data is encrypted on a system that left shifts but is decrypted on a system that right shifts the encryption key.
  • Similarly deciding when to do the shift e.g. after each encrypted byte, after a block of encrypted bytes or after a certain time does not break compatibility with systems that implement a different algorithm for deciding when to shift the encryption key.
  • It is even possible to make multiple copies of the key and encrypt the key with the data and still maintain compatibility with systems that encrypt the data with the key..
  • it is possible to increase the size of the key in 2 bit increments to any size up to the length of the data being encrypted allowing for keys far larger than supported by AES, DES, etc.
  • Encryption key distribution is often a weak point in a system especially if the key is sent over untrusted networks like the internet. With this algorithm it is totally unnecessary to provide the receiver with a copy of the key, avoiding key distribution entirely. 
  • If you forget the encryption key you can recover it by XORing a copy of the unencrypted data and the encrypted version
  • Overall the advantages to this algorithm are considerable. :tmonk:

Edited by jamesmking