Buying blind and the curiosity cancer

This probably dives me more insane than anything else about this hobby/obsession.

So I finally make the switch and have all my music into a 5g iPod 60gb, I get the awesome Turbodock II for the line out and am using my fully burned in Hornet. The Hornet sounds awesome... nice texture, black background, good weight/depth, etc. So why did I put it on eBay... I miss the crossfeed and bassboost from my SM for some of my music. Damn I hate this! I wish I could keep both but without the parametric EQ some of the music I listen to sounds slightly too dry with this amp, which is frustrating because I'll switch to a different album and it's bliss!

So off I go to sell and once again buy blind hoping that I'll be happily ignoring the rearview. I was very happy with my last SM amp so here's to hoping! Someone tell me I'm making a smart choice... :mikey2: (replace that computer with another smiley)

Well, the Hornet is shipping out today and now am waiting for my SMv6.

Not sure I agree with you Grand Enigma about the "high-end portable". I've been very impressed with the quality of sound one can get in such small packages. Now for people using these items in noisy envirnements like subways and planes I can see a decline in noticable SQ improvements. I use my stuff at work (desktop) in a quiet enviornment so I really hear a difference.

I agree with grandenigma on the "high-end portable" people really over-emphasis how good they are. They serve their purpose of being portable amps but they can't compete with good home amps. I think alot of this also comes down to source material as well, the improvements you get from an amp (portable or home) are only as great as the source allows.

I think for the most part every piece of gear I own and have owned have been bought blind. There just really isn't a way to demo most of this stuff before hand. Meets can be useful for getting a basic idea of how something might sound but thats about it. I think the 650s are the only thing I had heard prior to buying them. At least for the most part I've been quite happy with my blind purchases so I guess it all worked out.

Hmm.. I understand the concept of so called "high end portables" but I also do agree that they are fairly overhyped and overstated in what they can do. In the contexty for what they wrere desgined for, they do a good job (decent quality for listening on the go/away from home, etc..). However I also do agree that the ability of these portables are overstated, by a fairly large degree. All you have to do is look at whatthey are desgined to do and whatthey have to play with. You need a small packge that gives good sound and decent battery life. Somewhere in there, sacrfices can and will be made. Invariably in a portable aplication battery ife is a huge factor and from where I stand, the largest barrier. I mean I'm sure that it could be done where the portables compare or even prove to be sueprior to home amps in their price range, but given that battery life is alwaysd a concern as well as size (and it should be), that is the key sacrifice that has bee n made. And IMO, if you actuaLly compared a "home amp" with a portable amp in it's price bracket the limitations of the portable would be clearly evident, and the limitations of the stationary solution being fairly obvious. That being said, true "home amps" don't even begin until atleast $150 or so with many of the comparisons for home amps coming at the $300+ pricepoint in the portable segment which is in fact only a few products. Another key is how you evaluate it. If you evaluate both units ars so called "home" amps, then it would be more evident to see the defficIencies of the portable unit than the home, which is the comparison that is otentimes made (___ portable amp compares very well to home amps in it's price range).

So yes whiel I do feel that they have come quite a ways forward, I also think that they have quitea ways to go if they want to truly compete with home amps in theiir respective price brackets if there are any at all.

The only "portable? amp I've heard that can compete with home amps was the Headroom Supreme. I imagine that the new desktop line is even better in that respect but as many have said in the past these are more "trans-portable".

Amps like the SM3, Hornet, Micro, etc. will never be able to compete with big home amps period. But they do what they do well and if you are using a line out and you can hear just as big of a difference vs. headphone jack as some of the mid level home amps. Now my opinions are based of the 6hrs or so a day of listening I do while at work in a quiet office environment so again sonic improvements for those on subways and airplanes may be far less than what I've experienced.

There's no question that my home rig blows my portable away but having something from the IEM family and a small amp like the SM3 with the ability to boost bass and all that crap is very nice to have at work and be able to stuff in a small front pocket of my backpack. Considering that the average portable amp runs around $300-$400 and my Slam was about $900 + the cost for the various tubes I got, I'd say the cost to value is pretty even with the home amps.

Quality in the portable market is in high demand... with the E500 on the way and the positive press it's already gotten I think the portable products will continue to grow rapidly as will consumer demand.

• 1 month later...

Just about every single piece of equipment I own or owned have been bought without trying them first, except for RS-1, K1000, K701, Stax SR-007 (of course, these four cans also happen to be the ones I still own at this moment). As stated earlier, it's often bit difficult to demo headphone related gears, especially headphone amps.