Got me a free VD power cord

boomana

I like free stuff, so was sad to learn about the Virtual Dynamics power cord give-away after it was over. I emailed them today, just to see, and got a rather friendly response from some guy named Rick who said he was feeling generous. Nice. Too bad they're probably sending it to someone who won't be able to hear a difference, but I'll give it a go at least. Right now I've got two different Cardas on my amps, and a PS Audio on my source. They've been on "indifinite loan" from agile_one since I got the amps and CDP, since they didn't come with power cords. I don't know what others sound like, so this should be interesting...I hope. Anyway, I like free stuff. Good free stuff is even better :dance:

I wish I was that lucky! When I e-mailed them about it, I was told that it was over at this point.

Enjoy the free stuff!

I do think being a woman sometimes has it's advantages in audioland. I don't know if it's the reason here, but from the tone of the email, I suspect it was. It has definitely worked for me on audiogon twice. I never really play that card, but usually, they first say they're surprised, then say they're feeling generous, and then offer me a lower price than I offered them. Go figure. It makes up for getting ripped off in carland.

A free cord is not bad, but I got something even better, a free shill via pm:

Hello NotoriousBIG_PJ,

I noticed here you?re trying to get rid of a Wolff Bohica power cord. I can offer you $589 credit towards a new Master LE 2.0 at half off..

Please let me know what you think.

Matt

Sales Department

[email protected]

^^

Biggie.

I have a hard time justifying upgrade power cords. I mean, c'mon, have you seen the shit that's in your walls? Chain is only as strong as its weakest link, etc. As long as it is not so bad as to make things worse, I have a hard time seeing how it could be better. And I certainly couldn't hear the difference, the one time I tried.

Which VD cord was it?

The Power3

syphilis, would be my guess.

I was wondering how long it would take before somesuch would be mentioned. I'm actually impressed it took so long.

I have a hard time justifying upgrade power cords. I mean, c'mon, have you seen the shit that's in your walls? Chain is only as strong as its weakest link, etc. As long as it is not so bad as to make things worse, I have a hard time seeing how it could be better. And I certainly couldn't hear the difference, the one time I tried.

That's why free is good.

Biggie, outta curiosity, where were you trying to get rid of your Wolff Bohica?

Biggie, outta curiosity, where were you trying to get rid of your Wolff Bohica?

That pm was through head-fi. Both my power cords use oyaide connectors with Beryllium/palladium connectors, which have the effect of really smooth highs and big rock solid bass (compared to other connectors). Maybe a bit too much of a good thing hehe. I thought I would try to cash out on my Wolff cord since he just jacked the price up on them, and replace it with a cord with rhodium connectors like my previous Wolff cord had, which was pretty light on the bass.

Biggie.

A great advantage is that if the power cord is stiff enough you can actually semi-levitate the gear with them and get rid of any "spurious vibrations." ;)

I've seen gear that needs blocks to be placed on top, otherwise the powercord will lift them from the rack....

The best part is when you open up a Power 3 cord as I did when I reterminated mine. It's a garden hose filled with ferrite powder and the wires are the same you would find in your wall except it is stranded and no one in their right mind would use that. It's a big waste of space like all the VD stuff.

I would be interested in what Boomamma thinks about power cords.

A powercord made what I thought to be a significant difference with the Chord DAC64, primarily expanded soundstage and improved separation. It wasn't cheap, but it a source upgrade wouldn't be either.

The same powercord had little effect on the Accuphase DP-500 CDP.

Different kinds of PC's affect PSU''s and thus components in a different way. Good linear PSU's need simple cords made of high quality materials with no nonsense filtering while crappy linear and switching PSU's need a cord with some way of eliminating the crap they are delivering back into the mains as well as they are picking up from other components. Eliminating the hi-fi from any and all computers is a huge leap forward.

A great advantage is that if the power cord is stiff enough you can actually semi-levitate the gear with them and get rid of any "spurious vibrations." ;)

I've seen gear that needs blocks to be placed on top, otherwise the powercord will lift them from the rack....

Thats because people are dumbasses and don't pre-bend their vd cords before inserting them. If you do it right its not going to put much weight on the equipment its plugged into.

Biggie.

:laugh: I've read that the cord is pretty stiff, but so are the Cardas I've got now. I'm actually too cheap to buy a cart when an old Amish built coffee table (too big for functional coffee table) works perfectly for me, and looks strangely nice between my Abbys. It's also good as I use my headphone amp as a pre-amp, and I just slide a bean bag chair alongside for happy, lazy listening. Since the table is low to the floor, I've not had any trouble with stiff power cords, as I haven't needed to try and straighten them out to reach.

Eliminating the hi-fi from any and all computers is a huge leap forward.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't know what that means.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't know what that means.

It's just me being unclear as usual. What i meant is that a dedicated line is probably the best upgrade you can ever do as there is nothing contaminating the power as computers, dvd players etc. do.

The Power 3 isn't only stiff but very heavy.

It's a garden hose filled with ferrite powder and the wires are the same you would find in your wall except it is stranded and no one in their right mind would use that. It's a big waste of space like all the VD stuff.

Huh? VD cord had stranded copper wire :o I'm surprised b/c their call to fame is the use of ridiculous thick solid core wire and magnets. Maybe in their higher end stuff...