Got me a free VD power cord

boomana

Huh? VD cord had stranded copper wire :o I'm surprised b/c their call to fame is the use of ridiculous thick solid core wire and magnets. Maybe in their higher end stuff...

The cables I reterminated were a few years old but they had stranded wire, what looks like a normal in wall wiring. They might use solid core in their more expensive cables but why they use such massive connectors I can't fathom. The skin effect is horrible and all that ferrite is killing the HF but then again they are supposed to be so musical... ::)

I wouldn't go much above 14AWG solid core but that's the recipe for a good PC. I use Furutech connectors (as I need Schuko plugs and they are the cheapest good ones there are) and soft silver in teflon tubing all properly damped. Plug it into a dedicated line and who needs power filters

If someone can hear a diference with powerchords,

then the powerchord is doing filtering that the crappy

psu in the audio component is not doing.

Just get some 10-12 gauge powerchord at home depot,

with some quality connectors, and you're done, $30.

DIY rules :dance:

It's funny you should say that b/c one of the VD cords I know DOES in fact use the exact same Romex power cable from Home Depot with "quality" connectors ;D

And I have made DIY power cords using similar Romex wire, and while pretty decent-sounding, esp. compared to the throwaway zip cords, they didn't sound as good as some of the better cords available, not to mention violating all kinds of fire codes :police:

It's funny you should say that b/c one of the VD cords I know DOES in fact use the exact same Romex power cable from Home Depot with "quality" connectors ;D

And I have made DIY power cords using similar Romex wire, and while pretty decent-sounding, esp. compared to the throwaway zip cords, they didn't sound as good as some of the better cords available, not to mention violating all kinds of fire codes :police:

How would romex violate a fire code?

As to other power cables sounding better, since the first 40 ft + of wire is romex, all you're gonna do with anything else is impede power, so you're solving the problem in the wrong place...

How would romex violate a fire code?

As to other power cables sounding better, since the first 40 ft + of wire is romex, all you're gonna do with anything else is impede power, so you're solving the problem in the wrong place...

At least here under the Euro nanny all PC's need to be CE marked or your insurance won't cover any electric fires. Luckily I have a friend at the agency that tests this stuff and they tested it for me so I have a certificate that my DIY PC's are safe. It can be great to live in a small country where either you know somebody or they are related to you... ;D

The first step is to install better wire in the wall with a dedicated line and better wall connectors. Otherwise the cables are just acting as filters and a lot of them are designed to do just that, VD, Shunyata, Kimber Palladium etc.