Team Grado Unite!

Elephas

Hi riceboy, your HP-2 is being handled and taken care of better than the PS-1. I won't let anything except air touch the lettering. Every time I listen to it I imagine a "virtual air dielectric field" around the housings.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound so good with the RSA Raptor, Lehmann Black Cube Linear or AT-HA5000, the three dynamic amps I have. I'm planning to go balanced, but this HP-2 is the one headphone I can't recable. So I've placed an order for a Zana Deux.

I've been using an adapter for the XLR recabled PS-1 and L3000.

The PS-1 definitely has strong bass impact and quantity. The first time I listened to it was a "Whoa, I'm getting pounded," experience. I've never thought of myself as a basshead, instead thinking that I value soundstage, imaging, details, air, separation, and other "high-refinement" type qualities.

But after listening for a while, the heavy bass seemed to recede and smooth over as I became more used to the sound. The PS-1 also has very good details, separation and air. Imaging and soundstage isn't up to R10 or O2 standards, but the L3000's isn't either.

This is with the Raptor, Lehmann and AT-HA5000. Hopefully the Zana Deux will be an ear-opening experience. If the PS-1 and L3000 get any better, they'll be competitive versus electrostats; the PS-1 would take on the HE60 and the L3000 vs. the SR-007.

It will be a showdown between the Zana Deux and Raptor.
Well, I haven't heard the Zana Deux, but I've heard one of the older and cheaper Eddie Current tube amps [Mike, what was the model number?] and I'd say that unless you just REALLY like the sound signature of the Raptor, the Zana will stomp it into the ground. Just a guess though, of course. :)

I recall reading about vintage RS-1s sounding better and less bright/harsh than recent units.

But the K501 with glaring treble? I thought it had fairly neutral and not emphasized, definitely not harsh or bright. Its midrange is superb, one of the best and in my memory always somehow better than the K701's. Too bad about its non-existent bass.