writers strike, good or bad?

Dusty Chalk

writers strike, good or bad?  

1. 1. writers strike, good or bad?

So...good, since this would be the first step? You'd have nothing but reality TV on all channels at all times?

Or do you just mean "Hollywood", and not "the movie-making industry"? 'cause I kind of like movies. Some of them, anyway.

i'd rather not waste my time on transient garbage like friends or the latest frat pack movie... although i might cry a little if house was canceled.

Past writers strikes have been bad. Shows get canceled, line industry workers go months without pay, and jobs/contracts dry up. There may be a resulting hike in the percentage of big-ticket movies that writers get, but the bulk of em probably won't see much improvement.

Talks set to resume on nov. 26th: http://media.www.nyunews.com/media/storage/paper869/news/2007/11/19/CitystateNews/Talks.Restart.In.Writers.Strike-3109378.shtml

NBC has already taken drastic measures as a result of the strike, firing all those involved in the production of the hit show "The Office," which relies on 14 writers to produce scripts. The station's move left 102 workers without jobs, including cameramen, grips, production assistants, makeup artists, wardrobe employees and drivers.

I'm not saying the writers are wrong to strike, but the resulting damage still makes it a pretty shitty move.

Everything I've read has led me to believe that the writers have gotten the short end of the stick with respect to residuals. The business models for the studios have changed, and syndication isn't where they're making their money any more. And the writers aren't getting a fair share of DVD releases, streaming and downloads, and whatever digital format comes out in the future. The fact is the contracts are from a time when the digital distribution couldn't even be imagined.

Having said that, I think as a consumer it sucks donkey balls. There are a number of shows I really like that are new or on the fence, and the shows essentially going on extended hiatus could kill any momentum they have. If screwed up scheduling has shown anything, it's that shows can lose fans quickly when they go off the air for too long.

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they'll get things worked out so we're not in re-run/reality show hell until next fall and start watching all those DVD sets in my collection :D

I disagree -- by picking a damaging time (to the public, not to themselves -- it will always be damaging to themselves to go without work), it puts them in a better bargaining position.

It does, but it flat-out farks the rest of the crew, farks them right up the tubes.

that said I'm all for them getting a bigger cut - the creative chunk should be respected more.

Since on union shows, the crews are union too, they can take it.

They may not lose their jobs (unless the show gets canceled or they stretch it out to the point where the network can end the contract), but they're still going months without salary - I'm sure there are crew members making in the 40-50k range, and a few months without pay will still blow, and for a cause that doesn't even benefit them.