HF-1

postjack

recabled rs1 >modded hf1's....

I like to alternate between the 2, but the silver dragon cabled rs1 is def my favorite. Much more detailed, better midrange, more articulate bass. Does vocals better then anything i've heard. HF1's are more forgiving to a weaker system, rs1's show basically every flaw. They are really fun cans, but not in the same class.

If your willing to spend enough money to get an HF1, then even have it modded, u may as well see what the recable work does to your rs1. It's available to you at least. Prices people pay for hf1's are retarded. Usually like 350 bux I think or more... New pairs were just 200.

The HHF1s are the only headphones I've ever spent a lot of time with that completely disappear and let me experience the music. My signal chain is airport express->apogee minidac->way overpowered balanced m3->hhf1s. I also compared them to PF1s (woodied HF1s with PS1 drivers) out of some big balanced singlepower amp, and I think they were better. RS1s just don't have the right tone for me, I love them with very specific things, but they're not general purpose enough for me to keep.

Different strokes, I guess. I have yet to hear an RS-1 with any rig that I've liked, and I love my HF-1.
I'm not the only person who thinks an RS1 is meh, and the HF1 can be much better...especially with a little work.
I've heard this before and it puzzles me, but I guess it could be a preference thing. I used to own a pair of HF-1's, and I liked them well enough, but I thought the RS-1 was a clear step up with the right amp. Recently I've been falling back into the Grado camp, and flirting with the RS-1 and MS-Pro. Maybe I should give the HF-1's another listen given my new tastes.

Also, though I know there must be some variance in Larry's mods, I thought that the HHF-1's I heard [pixel_pusher's pair] were actually worse than my stock HF-1's back when I owned them.

I've heard this before and it puzzles me, but I guess it could be a preference thing. I used to own a pair of HF-1's, and I liked them well enough, but I thought the RS-1 was a clear step up with the right amp. Recently I've been falling back into the Grado camp, and flirting with the RS-1 and MS-Pro. Maybe I should give the HF-1's another listen given my new tastes.

Also, though I know there must be some variance in Larry's mods, I thought that the HHF-1's I heard [pixel_pusher's pair] were actually worse than my stock HF-1's back when I owned them.

I think there are a number of things at work with the hhf1s I own. The deeper cup, balancing, flats, and that they're well broken in all factor into it.

Whats the going rate for a stock HF-1, and what did they originally retail for? I've never paid this can any attention in the past, but I've recently become interested. Thanks.

I sold mine for $300 awhile back. Not a bad headphone but hard top tier. I actually prefer the SR-325i, RS-2, and R1 over it. I could someone liking the HF-1 better than the SR-325i, but the RS-2 and RS-1 are clearly more superior than the HF-1.

Grawk, do you think the deep cups play a big factor in your HHF-1? They always look a little awkward to me.

In my experience the depth of cup plays a huge role. A lot of Larry's pairs use standard depth cups which may make some difference but I wouldn't expect much. I would put stock HF-1s better than any of the SR series but not on par with the RS-2/RS-1.

Of course you, Jack, have friends that have been known to work with wood and Graods so you have options should you find yourself in possession of a pair of stock HF-1s. >:D

HF-1 sound is not even remotely close to touching the rs-1 or ps-1. hf-1's scale like an sr60, and they can't recreate a stage like the rs-1 or ps-1 can. However the hf-1 sound is pleasant and fun.

At my last headphone meet someone had their hf-1's and were embarrassed that they even brought them after comparing them on my system to the ps-1. The hf-1 is incapable of reproducing the depth and dynamic range of a recording on the same level as a rs-1 or ps-1. hf-1's also have more trouble distinguishing between the tonal subtleties in things like cymbal hits, which causes each cymbal hit to sound the same, rather then different. The hf-1's poorer imaging also plays a part in this. I don't see how changing the earcups would remove all of these flaws.

Biggie.

Of course you, Jack, have friends that have been known to work with wood and Graods so you have options should you find yourself in possession of a pair of stock HF-1s. >:D

;D

Actually what intrigued me about the HHF-1 was seeing a picture of mjg's in ebony. That is a fantastic looking pair of cans. Brent linked it in IRC last night, or the night before.

At my last headphone meet someone had their hf-1's and were embarrassed that they even brought them after comparing them on my system to the ps-1. The hf-1 is incapable of reproducing the depth and dynamic range of a recording on the same level as a rs-1 or ps-1. hf-1's also have more trouble distinguishing between the tonal subtleties in things like cymbal hits, which causes each cymbal hit to sound the same, rather then different. The hf-1's poorer imaging also plays a part in this. I don't see how changing the earcups would remove all of these flaws.

Biggie.

It doesn't. Short of changing the drivers or doing some serious physical mods to them, there's no way it's going to match the speed & resolution of an RS-1. Different cups & damping schemes will affect mostly the tonal balance of the headphone along with its soundstaging, but it's not going to have major effects on the detail & resolution unless the original housing is really subpar. Slapping SR225 or HF-1 drivers into an RS-1 housing isn't going to give them the resolution of the RS-1, ain't gonna happen no matter how much some may wish it did.

With that said, the strength of the HF-1 is its tonal balance. It has good tone and it's pretty forgiving while retaining a decent level of the good hifi stuff. It's a well balanced headphone that sounds good, and I can certainly see why a lot of people would like it. If I didn't already have a 225 I'd have an HF-1 to go along with my RS-1, since an RS-1 out of an iPod is kinda ridiculous.

HF-1 sound is not even remotely close to touching the rs-1 or ps-1. hf-1's scale like an sr60, and they can't recreate a stage like the rs-1 or ps-1 can. However the hf-1 sound is pleasant and fun.

Biggie.

We're obviously looking for something completely different when we listen to music. If I ever notice that one cymbal hit sounds the same or different from another, it means I'm distracted from the music, from the performance. When I listen to my HF1s, I forget I have headphones on, and get wrapped up in the experience. I've never had a problem with the imaging on the HF1s, and the musicality of them is what I like. With the RS1s, I am pulled out of the experience because of the inaccurate tone with some music. The PS1s were just worth more than I could justify holding onto them, so I sold them. RS1s cost me about what the HHF1s did (around $450), and I was much happier with the HHF1s, so I sold the RS1s. Others can have different opinions and it doesn't offend me at all.

We're obviously looking for something completely different when we listen to music. If I ever notice that one cymbal hit sounds the same or different from another, it means I'm distracted from the music, from the performance. When I listen to my HF1s, I forget I have headphones on, and get wrapped up in the experience. I've never had a problem with the imaging on the HF1s, and the musicality of them is what I like. With the RS1s, I am pulled out of the experience because of the inaccurate tone with some music. The PS1s were just worth more than I could justify holding onto them, so I sold them. RS1s cost me about what the HHF1s did (around $450), and I was much happier with the HHF1s, so I sold the RS1s. Others can have different opinions and it doesn't offend me at all.

Well said... Thanks for saying it more clearly than I could have!

With that said, the strength of the HF-1 is its tonal balance. It has good tone and it's pretty forgiving while retaining a decent level of the good hifi stuff. It's a well balanced headphone that sounds good, and I can certainly see why a lot of people would like it. If I didn't already have a 225 I'd have an HF-1 to go along with my RS-1, since an RS-1 out of an iPod is kinda ridiculous.

Agreed. Hf-1 is like a refined sr225 with lusher mids.

Biggie.