HF-1

postjack

HF1 -VS- RS1

IMHO the RS1 is brighter overall, and more aggressive in the upper mids. It has greater detail resolution and PRAT, but not because of its boosted highs. IMHO its a more dynamic driver... faster to react to signal input and faster to settle upon note decay. Its most apparent on ambiently recorded snare drum and kick drums. With mediocre sources PRAT differences are subtle, but still worth noting. As you scale up the supporting gear to sources and amps that are capable of revealing and amp-ing the differences it becomes very night & day.... IMHO

The RS1 is more amp/source finicky, while the HF1 sounds groovy-fun with everything.

The RS1 soundstage is superior to the HF1 too. The RS1 can come to near-IEM levels of closeness and "in the head" proximity to sounds. While it can space/throw out sounds out farther than the HF1. But as I said before its HIGHLY source / amp dependent.

HF1s were $215 shipped from TTVJ... IIRC first time TTVJ customers got a $5 discount so my total came to $210.

Currently they are going for ~$300-$350.

FWIW I own both, bought them both new and sit here grovin to some Symphony-X on my HF1 plugged into a $30 Chinese ipod shuffle clone.

• 2 weeks later...