November NYC meet impressions

The Monkey

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a CD3000 paired with the Woo 5 for part of the day, correct?

I only saw one source at Jack's table...... I don't remember what it was but it's in a pic in the other thread Reks made for me.....

Nate also posted some pics of Jack's table, so maybe he got a shot of it....

Let me know if you find what your looking for....

USG

These are Warrior05's wooden docks. He does the wood work and he also made the stand next to them. Him and swt51 do some work together. They do not have V-Caps in them. He uses a Teflon cap (not sure which brand). He also uses a USB input powered by an AC>DC adapter with either RCA or 1/8" outputs (hence the 2 different docks). He's pretty cool people.

Err... Steve did the woodwork for the docks, not Scott. He showed me them while they were still being finished.

You'd think I would have been able to remember it was a CD3k. Anyway, I thought the CD3k/Woo5 combo sounded pretty good. I had not spent much time with either before, but I thought the Woo5 did a nice job of taming some of the CD3k's highs. The Woo had a satisfying, liquid-y sound; very tubey I guess. That tube lushness was nice to hear, especially as my gear is almost all ss. At the same time, I thought the Woo sounded a little sluggish on the bottom end. Overall though my impressions were very favorable.

The build quality is very good, and I like that the amps are made in NYC. But I did not like the volume knob and pot. They felt cheap to me.

I guess it's "competitively" priced, but it's still pretty damn expensive to me, especially when you factor in the 300b costs.

kinda shocked no one is really talking about those chinese orpheus clones. They looked really decent, and sounded really good. Should be affordable for most people (with an amp too). Fred seemed to really like them, I listened briefly.

How much do the clones cost with an amp? Not that I need another stat or anything...

Believe it or not, Fang said $1350 with the SS amp, and $200 more with the soon to be tube version.

So there is a SS amp as well. :P The tube amp they were shown with in prototype form was a Stax design from the 60's, pretty much the same design as the ES-1 is based on. $1350 is a good price but there is some steep competition in that price range.

Bah, I totally forgot about those. I wanted to give them a listen. Oh well, there's always next time.

I listened to the new PK1's, the one with the screw on iem. I first listened wtihout the add on and found the sound to be pleasant. Lacking a bit of bass, but still sounding good. It's a very different turn from the current PK1, and it's definitely more to my liking. After adding on the iem thing, I didn't bother listening for more than a few seconds as there's massive amounts of bass bloat and it overwhelmed me. I knew already that I would never use the add on in it's current form.