November 10th ATL Meet Impressions

MexicanDragon

This was my first meet, and my camera shat the proverbial bed a few weeks ago, so no pix for me. I spent most of mine time hanging out and bumming around/talking to people, but did get to listen to a few things along the way.

I went down there with the the intent to listen to a Millett Max (something which I'm thinking of purchasing).

Let's see... there was Fitz' AKG collection, which was just massive (maybe 35-40 pairs?), and I believe they were all out of production (or at least most of them were). I just listened to the K1000's, as I knew it was something I wouldn't consider purchasing due to price, so there were no worries of me trying to sell my soul to obtain a pair. They were quite nice... and it'd be great to get a longer listen, but truthfully... I think I'd spend the $$$ on a speaker rig.

2xHF-1's, 2xDarth Beyers (1 was a Darth Boobie, I believe), RS-1, RS-2, SR-80, 3xHD650, HD600 w/cardas, HD580, ATH-AD900, ES7, 3xKSC-75, PX100, UE-10's, UE-11's, ER4S, DT-770, and possibly a couple others that sneaked by me... on top of the 642 (approximately) AKG's that were on hand.

I spent most of my time with my HF-1's headphone wise, as I was really more interested in finding out what went well with those than listening to gear I won't be aquiring any time soon. I did get to put them up against RS-2's (I stayed away from the RS-1's, as I'd heard them before, and wanted them then. RS-2s were unfamiliar to me completely). They fared quite well with the Millett Max, where I prefered them to the RS-2s. The RS-2s seemed a bit more lust, and with a presentation that was a bit further back than what I was used to with the HF-1's... not as much edge, I guess one could say. I think I've found my amp.

There was an Ayre CX7 with a Bryston pre-amp that sounded, even out of the headphone jack on the Bryston, very very good. The background just faded away. It seemed as if the noise floor was below where the physical floor should have been, if that makes sense. It was nice to hear a really high end source. It was run through a PS Audio power conditioner which had quite possibly the largest power cord I've ever seen in my 26+ years. Intimidating.

There were quite a few amps there as well. Quite a few RS amps, both home and portable. A Heed Can-amp (I think), Little Dot II, PAV2 (I think), A Meier Corda HA2 MKII SE, a Mini3 that was having an issue, so I couldn't listen to it (though I wanted to), a Darkvoice tube amp (not sure of model), and I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

There were a couple alien dacs from tomb and a number cruncher as well.

It was great meeting some new people, putting names (well, screen names) with faces, and checking out some nice gear.

As previously stated, I didn't listen to too much that I wasn't very intrigued by or looking to buy, but I did have fun on my first meet.

I AM, however, QUITE impressed with the Millett Max. The guys did a great job on it, and I am looking forward to picking one up in the not-too-distant future. Thanks tomb for letting me try it out with my source there at the end (and staying over to talk a few minutes).

I hope the next one is even better!

**BRENT**

Those couches look comfy -- why is everyone leaning forward? :doghuh:

It's how people pretend to be intensely concentrating on what they're listening to, even though we all know that all they were thinking about was boobies.

I on the other hand was leaning back on the comfy couches, since I was the only one serious about the music, but the pictures so far only show me when I was standing. I had to keep on patrol most of the time so people didn't try to steal my AKGs.

It's how people pretend to be intensely concentrating on what they're listening to, even though we all know that all they were thinking about was boobies.

I on the other hand was leaning back on the comfy couches, since I was the only one serious about the music, but the pictures so far only show me when I was standing. I had to keep on patrol most of the time so people didn't try to steal my AKGs.

85485963gb5.jpg

Actually, I think that's Piccolo with your Stax, isn't it? He gets to do what he wants as the meet sponsor, doesn't he? ;)

Now I know what you guys mean about the boobies. I saw them, but I guarantee I wasn't going to touch those things with my daughter around. ;)

I like the idea of those nametags and space labels they had in the NYC photos. We need to do that next time. :)

Thanks for the pics guys. There were 21 replies since I'd last seen this thread... very nice.

I agree about the nametags... great idea.

Dan... the big fat mexican can be seen in a couple shots... one in the distance... look for the shorts + long sleeve shirt.

Sadly, my cosby sweater was back at the factory getting some upgrades.

**BRENT**