loud annoying people at work

mjg

I come in to work everyday at 7:30 ish... People show up at 8:30. Everyone around me is really into this fantasy football bullshit and as soon as they start showing up, like directly on top of me, they all sit there talking for like between 30-60 mins about this shit, really loud. It aint a huge deal now and then, but it seems through out the day a few of these guys in sales or whathever just keep coming back here to talk to this guy next to me for between 15-30 mins about this garbage. Anythign from a blog posting about baseball trades, to anything... I'm pretty into sports also, but I do my best not to sit on top of people talking for an hour while I see they are kinda busy.

Am I spaz to be really distracted by this shit? I love bullshitting during lunch, but this shit is practically shutting me down to the point where I can't think. Just for reference I got pretty bad ADD and I also try to wear headphones and shit to block it out. I need to concentrate pretty hard sometimes when I'm working on harder projects, so I really don't know a great solution to this. It just reduces the quality of my work to the point i waste like a few hours a day sometimes trying to ignore people here. I've had a problem with loud people almost anywhere I've been though, so I stopped confronting people or complaining about it. I guess I just need to work with it. Suggestions?

heh, cuz i like money? food too.

Hell bro, if I could get all my work done, and be a loud retard at work all day, and still not manage to get fired or something... wouldn't life be great? I've been here 2 months and I'm trying not to be a guy that talks all the time 10 feet away from the CTO's office, and also trying to look like i'm competent enough to get work done timely. I have been for the most part, but I've noticed nearly all of my quality work happens when people aren't near me whining about mannings 6 picks, or whatever bullshit we all alreday ready about by 11:30 am at this point.

I wish I could just telecommute man, that would be super awesome.

heh, cuz i like money? food too.

Hell bro, if I could get all my work done, and be a loud retard at work all day, and still not manage to get fired or something... wouldn't life be great? I've been here 2 months and I'm trying not to be a guy that talks all the time 10 feet away from the CTO's office, and also trying to look like i'm competent enough to get work done timely. I have been for the most part, but I've noticed nearly all of my quality work happens when people aren't near me whining about mannings 6 picks, or whatever bullshit we all alreday ready about by 11:30 am at this point.

I wish I could just telecommute man, that would be super awesome.

Getting to telecommute is easy. Just prove to them that you can get work done and aren't incompetent. :)

Management likes seeing that people can be social, interact with their coworkers, and still get all their work done. The guy that is grumpy and hiding in the corner, and still doesn't manage to get things done, he's the one you jetison.

hah... u know the nazi's wore a bit of flare too right? haahah

well this was a weird morning too. the damn fire department was here b4 work started, it was pretty stupid. The damn firelarm was strobing in my face for 40 minutes, kinda bugs u out when yer half awake. Also the damn internet is always down lately as soon as I get in. What's up with these dog smiley things?? :doghuh:

Seems like your boss (CTO) there tolerates this kind of slacking...

or maybe not.... >:D

You could always loudly tell the gaggle to "shut the fuck up cause I'm trying to work here",

all strategically timed so the boss can hear it...

Of course this won't endear you to them very much, but maybe you're destined for a

top slot in the corporation, and they are the stepping stones to help you move up...

I can be pretty rowdy myself, but I just don't want to do it at work, especially when I got lots of stuff to do, and good impressions to make. I don't mean to sound like I'm better then anyone else, but apparantly these sales guys really don't need to do much during a lot of the time they are here... They end up just bullshitting all day, and as pleasant as it is to kick back and chat now and then, it's like dominating my attention because one or 2 guys just don't give it a rest.

I mean, it was obviously like this here before I got here, so I'm really not in the position to start shutting people up, or want to start being that guy like grawk describes that is angry in the corner. I try to distract myself with music, it works a lot of the time, but soemtimes I just need to sit and think you know? I took track somewhat of how often this one guy walks over here yesterday, he had to have been standing there and chatting for at least 2 hours of time throughout the day. During lunch they go in the coffee room and spend 1-1.5 hours doing the same thing. That's right next to my desk too... The guy can be heard across the office, and is like smacking the tables and shouting like he is out in a bar drunk. It's pretty amazing people here don't take exception to that... They may get a lot of work done, but it's a pretty bad environment for people that actually work 10 hours a day and don't appreciate it.

for lunch i'm going to have a waah burger with french cries. Sorry it's not my job to drive around all day and go out to fancy dinners... life must suck for u ; ).

I am really greatfull for this job so far, and like it better then any place so far... And yea every job I've had, even the tiny place I was at in the begining of the year can get real loud (all from one loud guy, and apparantly a client that had tourettes syndrome or something).

There's this one british guy that runs tech support that works here and is really loud... His kind of loud is actually sort of funny some times. The guy goes nuts, screaming and cursing, over technical shit that I kinda doubt he even understands. You can hear him going back and forth with people, who I doubt are nearly as intense as he is, yelling WHAT THE FUCK? like as loud as possible... I hear him 30 feet away. This place so far has been the most similar job to office space that i've seen yet. The guy I work next to is a Yankees fan version of milton. I mention arod to him and he goes into arod spasms for 10 minutes it's pretty funny.

I miss the days when I worked closely with sales guys. All that good food, free, and they appreciated good work. These days, I work for the gov't, and no one appreciates efficiency. So I mostly just hang out at home, play with my kids, and make sure my cluster stays up.

I work with a woman who sings constantly. She a very large woman with a very large voice, and she actually thinks she can sing, which she can't. Worst is that she sings mostly jingles, complete with snapping her fingers, if she feels it's necessary, or adding sound effects, disgusting or not. She knows every radio/tv jingle in history and performs unwanted medleys whenever the moods strikes, which is at least 15-20 times a shift. She also likes to dance, and hover near you while doing so. I've resorted to slamming doors, and screaming, "Shut up, bitch!" (in a loving way, of course), and kicking her out, but then she'll come back in the door an hour or so later, dancing and singing.

She's the most annoying co-worker I've ever had, but there's also the problem that I actually like and respect her, and she's stunningly good at a job that very few can handle. She's only one of only two or three co-workers I trust to not over or under react to the non-stop crises. Putting up with her singing is better than the thought of not having her around, so we all do. I tried to get her to try on my headphones one day, figuring that it might shut her up, or widen her repertoire, but she says she won't put anything on her head (she's bald) or in her ears ("You people put things in your ears?" On my nerves!"). Maybe I'll just start singing back at her. I'm even worse than she is.