Hoping this will be mine by the end of the day

boomana

I have the Abbys, and have been scouting around for subs off and on ever since. The Bailey sub almost never comes up for sale at a good used price, and though I know I could pick up a perfectly good sub for less, since the Bailey was made for the Abbys and is a beautiful match, I'm hopeful. I might be shooting myself in the foot by playing price games with the seller, but so far, he's been responsive. Anyway, as I await the next email, here's a pic of what I hope will be mine (as if posting it will make it come true).

1194803436.jpg

My modest speaker set up will finally be complete (for now): Exemplar Denon 2900>SP Extreme Platinum>FirstWatt F1>Abbys/Bailey.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know nothing about them, but damn that's cool.

The Abbys are single single driver (Fostex FE 166e) speakers. Some of best sound I've heard on a budget. Here's some cut-and-paste info on the sub:

300 watts built-in amplifier enclosed in a sealed sub enclosure of it's own to insure stability

SEAS 10? aluminum driver, phase plug, rubber surround - from Norway

87db1w mtr 8ohm

FS 20hz, ported

Xmax 7mm

Max power 125w

Hi-lo inputs, phase switch reverse, adjustable x-over low pass 50-80hz, 100hz high pass

All-plywood cabinet

Auto-on-off, volume adjustable

120-220v operation

Color matched , bases match both Abby or Studio Series

I heard the Cain & Cain I-Bib with Bailey Subwoofer at the Stereophile show in 2006. Here's a pic...

HE2006__5JPG.jpg

Definitely, performed much better than I had anticipated given the size. In fact, I thought it sounded exceedingly good, but you really need that sub. Good luck!

Jp told me he mentioned the Bailey to you. I hope you get it. I just added a sub and it's made a big difference with the CompactHemps.

Hey Vince, love the custom title. Not as good as mine but not bad.

Those be some funky speakers, Vicki.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, good thing John is perpetually cruising audiogon. I was at work, sans Internet, and he actually emailed the guy for me to start things off, since I ended up doing an 18-hr shift. It's also a very good thing you are constantly buying new gear. Nate, they are funky speakers, and I got them from Mike when he bought the SuperHemps (now gone). Not only did I get a killer deal, but it came with personal delivery and set up while I basically sat around doing nada. Oh, and I ended up with Mike's F1, too. Selling off any other goodies soon?

The Bailey is pretty big. I need to rearrange things a bit, but won't know (obviously) until it gets here. 909, you're right that it does need a sub. Without, it was really limiting my choices in music, as you just want to run over and pull a little more bass fullness out of the speakers. I listen to a lot of single instrument acoustic stuff, small combo jazz, and chamber music. For that it was fine (drop dead beauteous mids and highs), but they got all wimpy with big symphonies, and listening to most rock wasn't great at all.

Given the size? It looks like it's 9cu ft. That's way bigger than most subs.

The Bailey sub actually looks pretty small if you place them so that the narrow side faces you. It's pretty cool to be able to ignore a sub like that.

If you got an Elemental Design Sub, however... >:D

FYI. The sub on top is the 10" SVS Sub.

elementaljg1.jpg

The Bailey just arrived, but the lame Fed Ex guy wouldn't even help wheel it in with his cart thingy. I now have a 140 lb wooden crate sitting at my door. Must go scout for muscled (preferably good-looking) neighbors to help. Unfortunately, it's usually just me and the old folks hanging out around here during the day.