What happened to Head-fi?

nickknutson

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go make a baked potato, jeez, what kind of example are you giving the newbs? ;)

Nah. Gotta be at work in 6 hours.

So, I was just emailing the guy I bought the sub from on audiogon and was thinking that if head-fi lost a lot of posts, that includes feedback, both good and bad. Could suck in many directions.

Wow, it IS like Headwize all over again. Head-Fi is still down?

So does this mean that Head-case will be the new Head-Fi? Or the old Head-Fi since some people don't like the new Head-Fi and would rather have the old Head-Fi which is not really like the old Headwize, but the new Headwize is really now only a small part of the new Head-Fi is, which of course is still a small part of what the old Head-Fi was and is, or will it be if the database is screwed up again, how far will it go back, will we have the new, yet old Head-Fi back or the old Head-Fi back, which will still be new to many people except the old skool folks which still remember the old Headwize yet still visit the new and smaller Headwize, but then again Head-case is still pretty small but has grown quite a lot recently....

Uh OK, my Head hurts now....

<snip>worse case scenario i can't believe head-fi hasn't been backed up at least a month or so ago.

Ditto.

It's been awhile since I administered a server cluster, but I remember enough that RAID wasn't all it was cracked up to be. (I was running hardware-based RAID-5 on several servers running process controls.) Even back then, the controller was recognized as a weak point unless you duplicated that, too - and the power supplies. A backup restore was impossible if you lost the right drive on the OS volume. It happened to me once. I remember a Microsoft Engineer telling me at the time that restoring a tape backup on the operating system was like trying to get in and out of a car doing 90mph. We had to rebuild it from scratch. They've probably fixed that over the years, but I bet they are new pitfalls to replace that one.

Also, does anyone else think that 4Gigs of RAM on a 24 drive server is a little on the light side? I guess it's not as crucial on a NAS unit, but as they said - they ran into memory issues just trying to run the restore from the backup.

With as many vendors depending on the ads and proxy entries into their e-business storefronts, they're probably going to have to send out a significant number of refunds. They may even have some stores residing on their systems. It may be a coincidence, but TTVJ was offline for quite some time during the same period. Anyway, this may be piling on, but perhaps a more rigorous approach was warranted.

I guess that's what they were trying to do by moving to a clustering arrangement, but the weaknesses hit first. :(