Stax sr007 omega ii MKII ?!?!?

purk

Sorry guys. So is this the same as the silver SR007 or a new one? ;D

Basically it has new pads and a stronger wire connection to the housing/drivers there. Same drivers.

Initial impressions indicate that there may be some defect in the initial batch. :-X Hopefully this will be remedied.

Those are indeed the Mk2's. They will be called SR-007A's in Japan and be silver and I'm holding out until I get a price quote on the A's as I don't really like to pay the US distributor extra just for the black housing.

There are a number of changes but they are mostly down to the pads and they are borrowing from the 4070 design there. There seems to be a small port hidden inside the pads (maybe more then one) that eliminates the fart for the most part, increases the bass impact and changes how the bass behaves. The Mk1's bass was out of control if you didn't have the exact right fit while the Mk2's don't have much bass at all under the same circumstances. That is pretty same as the 4070 so when you get the right fit the ports are closed and the bass is just right.

If the SR-007A is Japan-only and the SR-007MkII is for export, there might be other places besides the US to get the MkII.

The Mk2 is for export so that everywhere else then Japan. Some places like Singapore might be cheap-ish.

But the USD is so weak :P

The Yen is weak as well relative to the European currencies. That still doesn't explain the 2600? pricetag on the Mk2

It will gain strength as this current situation will not last. Still the weak dollar actually helps the US now with the current troubles.

It's fun to watch this from the outside but I shudder to think what will happen here in Iceland when the shit hits the fan. The nation has about 117 billion dollars in debt (not bad for 300.000 people ::) ) which has accumulated in our largest economic boom ever but it is all tied to the ISK which is the smallest currency in the world. The interest rates up here might even make a grown man cry as 20% is the norm on short term loans... :o

There was no lead in the Mk1 but the finish was made using some chemicals that aren't allowed under the ROHS mandate. They only needed to change that but they also fixed the few issues that had surfaced in the 9 year production run and most of those were tied to the earpads.