Review: beard papa's fresh'n natural cream puffs

hYdrociTy

one I have been an enthusiast of luxury snack items for awhile now, but nothing has yet trounced the cream puff as my favorite indulgence.

The process of obtaining a box of Beard Papa's cream puffs and then transporting it to a suitable place to be sampled slowly is a holistic experience.

Each retail location is different than the next, so it would be useless to describe the environs and aura of each- but note that they will almost always reside in upscale urban areas devoid of such undesirable establishments as OTB betting or check cashing stations.

The staff will be light-hearted, energetic, and above all- enthusiastic. To be employed at beard papa's, one needs to excel in important areas like appearance, meticulously clean hygiene, and of course, the ability to exude the kawaii whether honest or in pretense.

The same attributes most likely also apply to the (majority of the) clientele.

If the people don't lift your spirits enough, the friendly atmosphere of the modern design will. Colors are always vibrant and give a sense of spaciousness.

mainbeardpapasweets.jpgBEARDpapas.jpg

two The selection of flavors as well as the m?lange of non-creampuff products will vary based on location, but most will have the full array of standard flavors to choose from including:

• Original (Vanilla)

• Green Tea
  • Earl Grey Tea
  • Strawberry
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Pumpkin
  • ?clair

There will also be exclusive flavors that differ based on location and/or season.

Each cream puff is made from all natural ingredients and batches are baked many times a day- never with preservatives.

The smart choice would be to order a few to consume immediately, and one box to take with you to enjoy elsewhere (while listening to your rig?). Refrigeration destroys the puffs, as I have tried both ones that are hours old, and those that have been in the fridge overnight. They lose their magic very quickly because the essential crisp turns soft and the volume flattens resulting in a dull ball of dense pastry that is no better than any other cream puff- if not worse.

three After auditioning every flavor available, I settled again on my favorite- the vanilla original. The interesting Green Tea and succulent ?clair come close at at second and third but the review will focus on their flagship flavor, the venerable Vanilla Cream Puff made from the "finest organically-grown vanilla beans available."

The box draws attention to itself by way of it's cheerful glossy yellow color-

beard_papa_bag.png

-and the graphics lend to a sense of warmth and sweetness. One can't help but notice the Beard Papa's comforting gaze, pipe in mouth and all. Looking at the box is calming, but the anticipation of what's inside begins to stir my senses.

beard_papa_box.png

I have seen many cream puffs in my day, and honestly they all look alike to me. They are soft throughout, and the cream is more often than not too dense. Upon chewing, the normal puff would collapse quickly with both the dense shell and the viscus cream inside melding into an unsavory glob of disappointment. The flavor of the cream would be bland or sometimes with a hint of sour.

Beard Papa, it seems, will have none of this!

beard_papas_creampuffs.png

four Beginning with a nibble at the crust, I am hit by such a thin crispy shell that almost shatters! Underneath that expertly textured shell is a very voluminous and soft layer of air-filled chambers. What never ceases to amaze is how soft and cool this layer remains yet still retains it's structure and ability to resist absorbing the moisture from both the outside world and from the cream at the core.

When your tongue first hits the cream, you know this puff is pure win. If there were such a concept as perfect, the vanilla cream would come very close to it. Ultralight, extremely consistent texture throughout, and the ability to flow without being too dense is the key. You can bite right through the whole cream puff and not know you hit the center till it's too late.

The key to the success of beard papa's puff is the synergy between the parts of the puff. The crust is crispy yet right underneath, there is no hint of brittleness in the caverns. The cream filling stays in the center and never intrudes on the shell. It were as if the puff was baked in three pieces then assembled together, which is nonsense, but goes to show just how well crafted each ball of delight is.

It is hard to review and criticize a product without actual criticism, but in the case of beard papa's fresh'n natural creme puffs, I will honestly say that there are no faults for this pastry lover.

Availability is the only major issue, but for those in or near major metropolitan areas, there would be no problem in visiting.

Do yourself a favor, and indulge for once. If not now, next time you visit a civilized part of the world, keep in mind that oral ecstasy may be in a shop near you:

Locations (US)

(There are hundreds of other locations worldwide, and are almost everywhere in East Asian countries.)

(>'-')>Ltd. we hug to please

How much does 1 dozen cost?

~2usd each or ~21USD for a dozen

e: read the whole thing, fuck that if there are none located near check cashing places. How am I suppose' pay for them, I won't have the man direct depositing mah checks.

if you are cashing your checks at 6% fee places and phear "the man", then you should probably be worrying more about getting enough food period, than wasting your money on expensive snacks >:D

Damn that postjack and his lies about the man, I figured I could trust him with him working in a bank and all :(

pizzle, why would I steer you wrong? hydrocity's asianness prevents her from fully understanding the american banking system. you can trust me because I am a white male. basically direct deposit is a hoax. The only place you should be directly depositing your money is in a hole in your backyard. That way you can always get at your money when you need it. Also you need guns to protect your money at night!

pizzle, why would I steer you wrong? hydrocity's asianness prevents her from fully understanding the american banking system. you can trust me because I am a white male. basically direct deposit is a hoax. The only place you should be directly depositing your money is in a hole in your backyard. That way you can always get at your money when you need it. Also you need guns to protect your money at night!

born in cali, babe.

I like these cream puffs because they aren't too sweet.

Some Beard Papa shops in Hong Kong have counters right on the street or are in busy subway stations.

I've never had the experience of "transporting it to a suitable place to be sampled slowly." I ate them the instant they handed over the box.

• 2 weeks later...