K-701 and K-340 revisited

hirsch

I'm currently running the K701s balanced and I like them (it's only been 2 weeks though so we'll see). Overall I agree with what most people say about them: good tonal balance; nice mids...etc. The K701 vs. the K1000...no contest, the K1000 wins. For me the K701 is just a fun headphone. I've really enjoyed listening to it so far. I'm not sure I would make it my reference can, but it's fun.

I heard the K1000 out of Hirsch's Wheatfield and man, what a great combo. Great drum reproduction (I think he played a Grateful Dead drum solo thingy...I can't remember).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I think he played a Grateful Dead drum solo thingy...I can't remember).

Oh yeah, I heard that track many times with Hirsch. It is a great window into the lower octives and also can show how a headphone handles impact (literally).

I agree that the 701 and the 340 were not in the same league as the K-1000. The day we were listening I was wondering what the big deal was with the 701. I couldn't really decide if I liked the 340 better, but both were no match for the k-1000, at least through the Wheatfield and a MG head.

Well, I heard the K701 on Sunday and there was absolutely no comparison between it and either of the modded K340's at the meet. Too bad we didn't have a stock pair of K340's to compare.

EDIT: Just realized that wasn't too clear. I preferred the K340's by a large margin. The K701 sounds like a K340-Light to me... and it seems to have the same issues with soundstaging that Sennheiser headphones exhibit. Admittadly on a smaller scale though. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was a pair of modded K340s at the sunday Nat Meet that were bassless out of my Melos - it isn't the Melos' fault, honest, because the new Grados with flats had SERIOUS slammin' deep impactful bass.

I'll say this for the modded K340s tho - it had more bass than the R10s did. Dunno why, but I only seem to hear the bass from R10s from The Stealth and the SDS-XLR.