NorCal Meet 11/17 Zocalo Coffee House San Leandro 11am-6pm

jp11801

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I AM bringing my own mister fancy banner guy.

Second of all - Alex has given me his word that he will be there @ 11. I feel as though I have no choice but to trust him. So that is what I will do. The source cannot drive many rigs like the EMM can though - so we need EMM representation from somewhere.

Neil

I found some stuff in my Hydra 8 box that may belong to somebody from the last meet in SJ. They are all cables of two types. Weird I never heard about this but I will bring them to the meet saturday. It seems possible that some of them were Dan's or Mikhail's.

I have boxed up the SDS-XLR and lots of tubes and the Emm Labs and some cans and some other stuff. I will bring my rack so that little or no table space is needed for my stuff.

so who and what's the latest "gear news"? (who be there and wid what) who was that dude that offered to hook up the zd.. i think that'd be great.

since I lost the page with the recent issue I do not have a complete list of people coming

here is a partial from memory

Me

cosecant>HD2>balanced rs1s and hp2s

granodemostasa ZD don't recall the rest If figured we'd source share with either my or your source at some point to do an ZD and HD2 comp

Voltron

Emm labs>singlepower custom SDS> herd of headphones

Neilvg

APL NWO :dance:>es2> HE90s (?)

guzziguy

exemplar>sp extreme plat> darths and akg340s

Ori

custom made 300b>Ori dac> K1K

Icarium

esoteric>SP SS1>qualias and R10

Iron Dreamer

don't recall the rig

there are others that this early with no coffee that I can not remember. Personally I would drive quite a distance to hear the NWO player. The meet should provide a good idea of potential options for folks at the mid to top end of the headphone world with amps and sources. plus you get free coffee

um...last i thought the cosecant isn't balanced so you won't get the most out of the HD2. your best chance is to pair it with a CDP or dac that has unbalanced AND balanced outputs, my dac and CDP has neither. Maybe we can try the comparison on Icarium's teac? (since it has both and i don't know the other gear that'll be there).

um...last i thought the cosecant isn't balanced so you won't get the most out of the HD2. your best chance is to pair it with a CDP or dac that has unbalanced AND balanced outputs, my dac and CDP has neither. Maybe we can try the comparison on Icarium's teac? (since it has both and i don't know the other gear that'll be there).

It doesn't matter, the HD2, if I am correct, has balanced input transformers, so the signal that is being put out is balanced regardless of the source.

It doesn't matter, the HD2, if I am correct, has balanced input transformers, so the signal that is being put out is balanced regardless of the source.

correct it uses a pair of cinamags to balance the signal, so I'll take the cosecant over the esoterics at least to my ear they sound thin to me. Now a reworked output stage on a 50 or 60 could be sweet. I guess I'd take a well thought out single ended source over a not so great opamped balanced signal.

Iron Dreamer has/had a prototype maybe if he still has it he can bring it. Filburt who will be in town for Thanksgiving has one but won't be here by the meet.

Correct, the Esoteric balances its signals with op amps which is weaksauce. That's where APL comes in with sweet fully discrete output stages.