Head-Fi Update on Facebook

justin

Jude has posted a video on facebook and an update

If you're on facebook just search for Head-Fi, go to groups, and then the larger Head-Fi one, and you'll see the video

--- THE POST ---

This is the datacenter I've been living in with a couple of my workmates for the last several days, working with vendors and technicians from all over (Seattle, Australia, Michigan, California and Germany) to try to get our primary networked attached storage (NAS) unit to give us our data back.

Unfortunately, things are not going well so far, everyone. The recovery efforts that we've been guided through have so far proved fruitless, but we will continue to work on it until we've exhausted every option to get it back.

I have been asked by many to put the site back up as soon as possible. I have to see the most recent usable backup I have that wasn't on the NAS (we backed up to the NAS regularly), and it may be old--like mid-to-late 2006 old. I know, this is potentially absolutely tragic, in terms of potential registration--and, even more importantly, *content*--loss. I feel a great responsibility for the content we as a community created, and hope and pray that we'll get it all back with our continued efforts. But, for now, there are Meets planned, sales taking place, and vendors who count on Head-Fi as a marketplace, and I'm afraid that, for the moment, I'm left with no other choice but to put the site back up--in the form I currently can--while we continue with the data recovery efforts. It is something I haven't even wanted to consider, but, the longer this takes, the more I have to consider it. Again, the data recovery efforts continue, and, if we're successful (which we're still doing all we can to be), we will be able to get that all back. But without access to my regular backup directories, I have to use the best, most recent backup I can find away from that NAS, and we're looking at those choices now--none look anything close to ideal so far.

If we do end up putting up an old version of Head-Fi.org up, here's to hoping that we're going back to the good old days only temporarily.

Though this message and the video might seem light, one close look at our faces (which, to your good fortune, I've kept from you) would tell you that I am dying inside at the thought of the possibility of losing any of the content that we as a community created together. We're trying our best--we really are. And I know if we end up losing any of that data, there'll be a good number of you who'll be very upset about it, and understandably so. I've never taken the care of that content lightly, and I trusted that NAS (which is still quite new, and was configured for a high level of data safety) to hold our data soundly and safely, especially as we were in the midst of a transition to a nice clustering configuration for Head-Fi.org that we had bounced in and out of as we worked on it (you probably wouldn't have noticed when these changes came and went).

Again, I'm hoping to goodness we can get all of our data back. It hasn't just affected this, my favorite hobby site, but also my businesses that had a lot of large, important databases housed on that NAS.

I'm not exactly sure when we'll put what backup we have handy up, because we're just *swamped* right now. But we'll try to get that up in the next day or two, given how things have gone so far.

Sincerely,

Jude

So if they don't get this fixed, we'll be back sometime in 2006. Well I'm pretty fucked, who else? Fucked as in probably half or more of those on the Pico pre-order list weren't members in 2006, and I have $40k of parts sitting here. Oops!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMFG! 2006? A year+ down the drain?!?!?! That's just fucking insane!

Justin, hopefully you've kept a log of orders and info off of head-fi. Hopefully those that have ordered will be smart enough to contact you through your website if it comes to the point that all info on that site is lost.

I have a log of all the orders however for most of them I only have their Head-Fi names, which may no longer exist. I have email addresses for maybe 40% of them....so I have to get something on my website about this

Well, I'd probably have no feedback if in 2006, except buying, but that's nothing compared to what will be lost, the good and the bad of it. It's really messed up, and I do feel bad for Jude.

Dang, all the CanJam planning stuff, and threads gone...eeeek!

Download the Firefox cache plug-in....called Cache View. Get every cached page you can before it starts caching Error 404 pages ;)

Download the Firefox cache plug-in....called Cache View. Get every cached page you can before it starts caching Error 404 pages ;)

Thanks, Justin, but I emptied my caches trying to figure out why I couldn't get on here the other night. Maybe some of the other CanJam guys can pull something out of their computers.

I talked to Jude today and the story is so heinous that it is unbelievable. :mikey2: Not everybody around here gives him much credit but he is really pouring his guts out over this thing and feels what he says way deeper than most people understand. Plus, the fact is that everybody here reads HF and relies on the info there and a bunch of it may be down the shitter from what he posted on Facebook. That sucks for all of us.

Justin sorry to hear that, any hassles we might have pale in comparison to 40k worth of parts waiting on orders. Well at least it will give the others that ordered the predator a chance to reconsider the Pico once the site is up and running. I hope it works out for you.

To those that lost your feedback at least your know entities and that should count for something

Consider the audience ;)

Yeah, but I don't really think that even those who pretty much hate the guy on business levels would wish this on him or head-fi. No one is that much of an ass here (close, but no).

Mike and Aaron (you the only head-fi mods here?), you better get ready for a shit-storm of whiny "I want my post count back" crap and angry bitching that will eliminate any productive reconstruction. Head-fi is currently overrun by self-serving know-it-all brats, and they won't be caring about the needs of people like Justin or Alex or those who are facing real losses, and they'll probably be vocal and stupid right out of the gate.