Hey coffee geeks: New Roaster

nelamvr6

Man, I am a roasting FOOL right now! I can't stop!

Today I got my new roaster:

sm.behmor.jpg

It's a Behmor 1600. This thing rocks! It'll do up to a full #, and so far I have yet to see a single wisp of smoke!

Of course I've only done 1/4 # batches so far, but still...

It has 5 roast profiles built-in. So far I've only tried 2. It'll take me a while to try all five.

I can't wait until tomorrow morning to get my first taste!

ok for starters roasting coffee is basically an advanced form of air popcorn popping

I have roasted coffee in a gas grill, gas stove, popcorn popper and home roasting machine, it's not rocket science get the beans above 400f and listen for the cracks, there are basically two. for more info I would go to sweetmarias.com

I had a neighbor once that roasted coffee in an popcorn air popper. It was beyond obnoxious, smelled really bad, and smoke everywhere. He kept burning the ghit out of the beans.

Hmmmmm. That gives me an idea. I do have a bunch of smoking neighbors that would be really annoyed by burning coffee beans on my balcony... >:D >:D>:D

I had a neighbor once that roasted coffee in an popcorn air popper. It was beyond obnoxious, smelled really bad, and smoke everywhere. He kept burning the ghit out of the beans.

Hmmmmm. That gives me an idea. I do have a bunch of smoking neighbors that would be really annoyed by burning coffee beans on my balcony... >:D >:D>:D

Yeah, I suppose if you burn them they can smell like shit. Likewise if you don't like coffee I suppose you won't like the smell.

But it doesn't smell bad when I roast, it smells delicious!

I'm curious about how this compares to the HotTop. I've read it can't roast a full pound to dark (not that the HotTop can either). I'm most interested in the low-smoke feature -- roasting outside in the Winter is not fun :o

I haven't tried any pound roasts, it's just me here...

But I have done a whole bunch of 1/2 pound roasts and I haven't set the smoke detector off once!

There is the aroma of coffee roasting, it's not completely odorless. But there's very little smoke.

You can achieve a full city+ on 1/2 pound roasts, and probably even darker by telling the machine that you're roasting a full pound...

On pound roasts prolly the darkest you'll get is a full city.

I haven't tried any pound roasts, it's just me here...

But I have done a whole bunch of 1/2 pound roasts and I haven't set the smoke detector off once!

There is the aroma of coffee roasting, it's not completely odorless. But there's very little smoke.

You can achieve a full city+ on 1/2 pound roasts, and probably even darker by telling the machine that you're roasting a full pound...

On pound roasts prolly the darkest you'll get is a full city.

And there's no good reason for ever going darker than that anyway...

Hey, there's a free Grinder promo here:

http://www.coffeeroasting.com/grinderpromo.html?cid=google-free-coffee-grinder

You can pick between a burr grinder or a blade grinder.

You pay for shipping, so basically a grinder for $9.95.

Both those grinders look pretty lousy. The grinder is important enough that it's worth getting something reasonable -- at least a Solis Maestro or (Baratza) Virtuoso. I lust after the Mazzer Mini >:D

Both those grinders look pretty lousy. The grinder is important enough that it's worth getting something reasonable -- at least a Solis Maestro or (Baratza) Virtuoso. I lust after the Mazzer Mini >:D

You and me both...

But I don't do espresso, so I can make do with a lesser grinder for now.

I wonder what the catch is with the free grinder.

It's prolly not the best, but it would be a step up from a blade grinder...

that looks like a cool roaster can you set roast profiles or is the 5 presets?

anyone with a gas oven can get great results with a perforated pizza pan, set the oven for 400-450 let it preheat to 350 then put the pan in side with the beans evenly spread out in a single level. after 5-7 minutes open the oven and rotate the pan 180 degrees. You should have a city+ roast in less than 18 minutes.

This produced the best roasts I have tasted. I own the gene caffee roaster now and it is great but I am going to back to gas oven now that I have one.

that looks like a cool roaster can you set roast profiles or is the 5 presets?

There are 5 preset profiles, and that's it. You can adjust the time, but the profiles remain the same.

So far I've only used 3 of the 5, and I do most of my roasting with P1, which is pretty much max temp until the cooling cycle begins.

You can see the profiles here.