Speakers, high voltages, watts, etc

deepak

Most of them were really good for the price but the TOTL models were held back a bit by penny pinching. Their direct drive amp was a bit of a joke and they used electrolytics in the filters but the sound was very good. I'm going to pick up one when I switch over to speaker collecting... ;D

If I were to take purk's lead and post the best headphones and favorite headphones

Best all driven by the Blue Hawaii in correct order:

SR-007 > SR-Ω > HE60 > HE90 > SR-4070 > SR-Sigma > SR-SC1 > SR-Lambda (open back) >SR-Lambda Signature > SR-Lambda (stock) > SR-404 > SR-Nova Signature > SR-Lambda Spirit > SR-Lambda Pro > SR-Sigma Pro > Beyer ET1000 > SR-5 NB > SR-Gamma > SR-X Mk3 > SR-X Mk2 > SR-3 > SR-5 > SR-3 New....

This is a pretty idiotic way of listing them as the gap can be huge or very small and there are some models missing as I've not heard them at length in my system. The bottom end is pretty close and mostly down to what music I'm listening now or my mood.

Top 5 favorite headphones i.e. what gets most use:

SR-007 > SR-Ω > HE60 > SR-Lambda (open back) > SR-003

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go against the grain a bit here and say Koss KSC-35s. Certainly not the most refined or detailed headphone, but for the price, I don't think it can be beat. It's a little bit of audio heaven for under 20 bucks.

I'll add a vote for the KSC-35s. I admit that I usually listen to my AKGk501s and Beyer DT990s. But, when I take them on a trip or grab them for casually listening, I sometimes wonder what, if anything, I'm giving up. As far as value, they're the winner for sure.

I'll add a vote for the KSC-35s. I admit that I usually listen to my AKGk501s and Beyer DT990s. But, when I take them on a trip or grab them for casually listening, I sometimes wonder what, if anything, I'm giving up. As far as value, they're the winner for sure.

who is kevin sinnot?

welcome to headcase! :)

What warts? ???

I'm a rather big fan of the balanced RS-1. I wish I had thought to take it to NJ so that the people there could have heard it at the meet. Very nice mix of warmth, detail, bass and imaging. Balanced, the RS-1 becomes my favorite Grado, and one of my very favorite headphones. I think the Qualia 010 may be technically better, but the RS-1 is more fun. ;D (Note: my balanced RS-1 was wired with a double run of the Joseph Grado High Bandwidth Reference cable used in the HP-1000 series. The cable is several times the weight of the headphone :P)

Of course, it's not as good as an R10 (obligatory comment about my favorite headphone) ;)

another vote for the balanced rs1, I like these more than the HP2s balanced at the moment. Balancing them totally opens up the headstage

SR-007 > SR-Ω > HE60 > SR-Lambda (open back) > SR-003

Interesting that you prefer the HE60 over HE90? They must be good out of the BH. From my limited time with the SR-007, I think I'd also prefer the SR-007 over the HE60, but only by a hairs width. It's a completely different listening experience altogether.

Stax Omega 2. The HE60 was good but I'd want more time with one. TakeT H2 has the potential to go right up but we need a proper direct drive option to become accessible before sentence can be passed. The K1000 is right up there as well but again I'd want more time with it. R10 is good but really deflates when you factor price.

Having spent time with the AMT out of the Aleph, I'm lowering it down. Unless the Ergo Amp 2 with its dynamic EQ really is the shit, then the AMT is stuck at the bottom of the top end. It suffers like the HE60 does, from lack of low end presence. When it gets it right it gets it so right though.

Interesting that you prefer the HE60 over HE90? They must be good out of the BH. From my limited time with the SR-007, I think I'd also prefer the SR-007 over the HE60, but only by a hairs width. It's a completely different listening experience altogether.

It mostly boils down to the fact that the HE60 doesn't annoy me as much as the He90. Less diffused and with better bass and a believable soundstage. The HE90 is smoother and more rounded but I'd still go for the HE60 every time as they fit my head better.

Stax Omega 2. The HE60 was good but I'd want more time with one. TakeT H2 has the potential to go right up but we need a proper direct drive option to become accessible before sentence can be passed. The K1000 is right up there as well but again I'd want more time with it. R10 is good but really deflates when you factor price.

Having spent time with the AMT out of the Aleph, I'm lowering it down. Unless the Ergo Amp 2 with its dynamic EQ really is the shit, then the AMT is stuck at the bottom of the top end. It suffers like the HE60 does, from lack of low end presence. When it gets it right it gets it so right though.

The O2 really does bring a smile to your face whatever the music. It's sound signature is so easy on the ears.

Apparently, the HE60's bass really improves with better amplification eg BH, KGSS, Woo GES. My wallet ain't big enough to find out :angel:

How much heavier does the HE90 feel vs the HE60? I can't imagine the HE60 being terribly comfortable for people with large heads. They have the Senn clamp, but not quite as much as the HD6x0

Apparently, the HE60's bass really improves with better amplification eg BH, KGSS, Woo GES. My wallet ain't big enough to find out :angel:

You probably want a SRD-7 MkII at some point to try all kinds of speaker amps for that bassy, dynamic sound.

One thing I would mention about HE60 is that it can take some EQ in the bass without distorting. I was surprised to find HE60 takes bass EQ better than K1000. Then again, even with only about 2dB bass EQ, I thought it was too much and preferred the HE60 without any EQ at all. Taken as a whole by itself without constant A-B'ing with say HD650, HE90, OII, HE60 bass does not sound lacking at all to me for my music.

When I sit down to listen to music, it is 90% classical. I don't usually listen to anything else. Portable listening is different. That's almost 100% rock and alt. For classical, the HE60 is superb. The bass is definitely sufficient. For the other 10%, I may listen to something like Nirvana, Coldplay, Chili Peppers, Dire Straits, Mike Oldfield, Norah Jones, etc and the quickness of the bass sometimes surprises me. There is no muddiness at all.

Genre is why the AMT does so well when it does. For music that isn't heavy it can be glorious. I don't do a large amount of classical listening, but I do listen to a fair amount of acousticy stuff and my share of jazz and for those its fabby. Just can't cope with Deep Purple or Eiffel 65 properly though, although its vastly improved over how it sounded when I first got it. Maybe its the ESL57 of headphones.

You probably want a SRD-7 MkII at some point to try all kinds of speaker amps for that bassy, dynamic sound.

One thing I would mention about HE60 is that it can take some EQ in the bass without distorting. I was surprised to find HE60 takes bass EQ better than K1000. Then again, even with only about 2dB bass EQ, I thought it was too much and preferred the HE60 without any EQ at all. Taken as a whole by itself without constant A-B'ing with say HD650, HE90, OII, HE60 bass does not sound lacking at all to me for my music.

I'll give EQ (foobar) another try. Last time I tried, non-EQ seemed to sound a bit cleaner. (EDIT: 2db @ 55hz, 1db @ 77hz, 1db @ 110hz. No distortion so far)

Can the SRD-7 take around 350W/ch/8ohms of power?

Genre is why the AMT does so well when it does. For music that isn't heavy it can be glorious. I don't do a large amount of classical listening, but I do listen to a fair amount of acousticy stuff and my share of jazz and for those its fabby. Just can't cope with Deep Purple or Eiffel 65 properly though, although its vastly improved over how it sounded when I first got it. Maybe its the ESL57 of headphones.

So the AMT/Aleph M isn't as good as you hoped it would be, but still a big improvement? It "sounds" (excuse the pun) like the AMT doesn't like it hard. No Jean-Michel Jarre then ;)

How much heavier does the HE90 feel vs the HE60? I can't imagine the HE60 being terribly comfortable for people with large heads. They have the Senn clamp, but not quite as much as the HD6x0

The HE90 is almost a third heavier but they are also quite a bit bigger. The main problem with them is that they won't have enough range on the headband so I can't make it big enough while the He60 fits like a glove.

Can the SRD-7 take around 350W/ch/8ohms of power?

Can it withstand 350w of power...no but it can be used with any amplifier though the extra power will only sound worse.

Depends on the album, Oxygene or Zoolook comes over fine, Parts of RendezVous and Teo & Tea just dont have the thump that you want. Extension isn't non-existent, but the AMT has the stereotypical stat sound described by the unfamiliar. No bass. It is there, but its the wrong kind for that sort of music.

The Aleph hasnt awoken the AMT as I had suspected that it might, it is the first amp I've used with the AMT which is actually doing a proper job though. Its also doign a fine job with the Quads, although I've not cranked it up yet.

Can it withstand 350w of power...no but it can be used with any amplifier though the extra power will only sound worse.

I read somewhere the max the internals could handle was 10 watts.

But of course the drivers would be dead by then. :P

I read somewhere the max the internals could handle was 10 watts.

But of course the drivers would be dead by then. :P

It can only take about 10w before the internal resistors self destruct. The older phones with unprotected stators and maximum voltage of 400v will be goners but the new ones should be able to handle it. The Senns would have gone up in smoke a while back.

Do I have to come over to your houses and beat you over the head??? :kitty:.... ;D

A 350w amp only gives out that much into 8ohm at full output. It gives out much less with a lower input level i.e. at a lower volume. Most amps are running at about 1-10w most of the time. The extra power is more in the form of extra current with the voltage being so low and the SRD-7 needs voltage and a bit of current.

10W?! At what impedance? Did Stax put a warning in the user manual? I imagine most people have amps with over 10W of power. Last time I checked, not everyone had 300B SETs :laugh:

I thought you knew better than this, Jonathan. :P

If you're only drawing say 1W from the amp, it makes no difference whether it's a 10W or 100W amp. That's just the maximum amount of power the amp is rated to output.

If you were to plug a 100W lamp into a 5kW generator, the lamp doesn't explode in a massive fireball. Same idea.

I thought you knew better than this, Jonathan. :P

If you're only drawing say 1W from the amp, it makes no difference whether it's a 10W or 100W amp. That's just the maximum amount of power the amp is rated to output.

If you were to plug a 100W lamp into a 5kW generator, the lamp doesn't explode in a massive fireball. Same idea.

Crawls away in shame :'(

Does the current drawn change depending on volume? I thought it was only the voltage that changes, is it not? If so, then won't the high current melt the voice coils say if I plugged a K1000 into a 350W amp even at low volumes? Argh... I'm confused. School taught me nothing about this sort of stuff. Feel free to PM me.