Best way to get revenge on neighbor's cats without actually killling them?

Edwood

Neighbor's cats pee on my balcony and furniture all the time. This time, my wife accidentally left the nice canvas and wood folding chair on the balcony and a cat snuck up and peed all over it.

So, I'm thinking, leaving out hot dog bits with ExLax hidden in it...

Something similar to the squirrel catapult...

Any other ideas? The crueler, the better. And preferrably non-lethal and quasi-legal.

:kitty:

Exlax is possibly lethal to cats. Not too sure that anything particularly cruel would be legal due to animal cruelty laws either.

BB pistol, low velocity pellet rifle, and high velocity airsoft guns are probably the best non-lethal ways to convince a cat to leave and not come back. That or a motion activated sprinkler system. Neither option is too likely to be construed as animal cruelty as long as the animal is on your property. Though, you might run into firearms discharge laws with the pellet guns.

Either way, I'd rather trap it and tell the owner it's taking a trip to animal control the next time you catch it.

Amazon.com: Feliway (75mL) Spray: Kitchen & Dining

And while the ExLax idea is rather amusing idea I would suggest not because it can kill cats and I doubt they would eat anything that contains it anyhow. ;)

I would lean more twards hot sauce.

Put a couple of little puddles of it on the deck right were they walk and watch as they try to lick it off.

http://www.amazon.com/Feliway-75mL-Spray/dp/B00076NPC2

And while the ExLax idea is rather amusing idea I would suggest not because it can kill cats and I doubt they would eat anything that contains it anyhow. ;)

I would lean more twards hot sauce.

Put a couple of little puddles of it on the deck right were they walk and watch as they try to lick it off.

The hot sauce idea sounds perfect, except it would end getting walked through and tracked into my place. Perhaps I can put the chair towards the back of the balcony and put a hot sauce moat around it.

Any recommendations for the cheapest hottest sauce out there?

Cats are smart. The hot sauce will get it once, but when it comes back it will just walk around it or just jump over it. Spray it with a fire extinguisher, and then leave it setting on your balcony in plain sight. It doesn't take a very big shot. You don't want to hurt it, just scare the shit out of it. The suddeness and the noise of the blast is what will do it. I'm telling you I have done it. It freaks them out. Had a stray that would not leave my daughters cat alone.

I've squirrels and other pest animals run off with a strobe light. Most critters hate them. I'd pick up a cheapie at Radio Shack and set it up with a motion sensor. No mess, no cruelty.

Water is effective, too. I don't know exactly how to set up a motion-sensitive sprinkler, but that would absolutely keep cats away.

I've squirrels and other pest animals run off with a strobe light. Most critters hate them. I'd pick up a cheapie at Radio Shack and set it up with a motion sensor. No mess, no cruelty.

Water is effective, too. I don't know exactly how to set up a motion-sensitive sprinkler, but that would absolutely keep cats away.

Strobe sounds like a good idea. I would use the motion sensitive sprinkler, but I have no water outlet on my balcony (I'm on the upper floor).

Of course there is the issue of getting strobed every time I come home, especially at night.

Neon sign transformer and lots of small thin hard to see wires around the edges of

the balcony. Definitely won't kill them, but will certainly get their attention.

LOL, perfect. It will kill more squirrels, though. And I like them tree rats. They usually chase off the cats.

The cats are really lazy, they walk up the stairs to the balcony. I could put up a gate, but that would just make it a hassle for me.

warn your neighbors to control their animal, and when they don't, call animal control. problem solved, as either the animal gets carted to the pound, or your neighbors get a citation and start acting like adults. this is the route i always go. only backfired once, when an irate neighbor decided that i was threatening his precious kitty and started a fight with me, but i won the fight fairly handily (being a big, strong guy sure is nice when it comes to moving furniture and fighting cat owners), so it still worked out.

It would work, except for the fact that I live in a Condo and the HOA seems to be A OK with cats running around everywhere. It doesn't help that most of the people on the HOA board are cat owners. That pesky common property bullshit. Meaning, I can't set traps on the balcony.