Looking for a Watch...

nickknutson

I think he's a Rolex man, but that wouldn't be digital.

If you want to get a nice watch for <US$500, I've been told to get a Nixon, and I have to admit, the next nice watch I get will probably be a Nixon. They have both digital and analog.

Thanks! I know for a fact that wasn't a Rolex...I used to sell them.

Nixons do look and feel nice when I played around with them (I don't own one). Like Dusty, I'm thinking of getting a Nixon next time around.

I'm also a big fan of Hamilton, especially the Khaki series - I own a Field Mechanical Officer and Field Mechanical.

I have one in my collection as well.... classic piece.... ETA 2824 movement.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Rolex is more like the krell of audio. Built like a tank. Never breaks. No new designs

in 30 years.

Patek certainly makes a fine watch, but only the very simple and ultra complicated ones

are actually 100% patek. Many of the watches in the middle use eta or zenith mechanisms.

Their moonphase perpetual complication uses the front dial set from another manufacturer.

In fact IWC, Zenith,Blancpain and Patek use many of the same parts.

If you want the B&O of watches get a ulysse nardin freak. They break real easy, just

like many of the B&O pieces.

I have a Rolex and while they might be drawn in comparison to Bose or B&O (although Cartier is probably a better comparison) thats a measure of a good product, with a name reputation built over decades, not bought. They are magnificent machines. Very few of the top watches are actually certified chronometers as the Oyster is. This thing has also been smacked and bashed and scraped more times than I care to think of and the glass hasnt the slightest blemish. This watch should still be ticking when I have stopped.

You all make very valid points, I just prefer the look of the Breitling to the Rolex. Like I said, I sold Rolex for a few years and they're great watches...especially the older models you guys have. Just not my style.

I've also thought about extending my budget a little more and getting an Omega Seamaster.

hah cool... I haven't cleaned mine up in awhile... I like having hte knockoff bracelet because I don't mind it taking a beating like the stock one. Can you believe these watches used to sell for 500 new? My dad bought it with money he made at the poker table in the 70's on vacation I think...