Amazon Kindle

Edwood

Actually, it may be me just not being used to seeing them used before. It looked like a lady was staring and a thin cutting board. It will probably be very normal before too long I'm sure.
There are times when I want real estate, and there are times when I want extreme compactness -- I have no idea which I'd prefer. I'd have to try something and get an idea first.

I was thinking something like the microsoft courier booklet tablet with one side being the color touch screen and the other side being eInk (maybe color eInk) and have built-in 3G capability added in. I really want internet on these things since they have the hardware to connect and the little color touchscreen can double for a mouse and keyboard. I would lay down a grand for that if it ran programs for the PC or was at least open source. There is this one really ugly hideous looking $500 booklet ereader with one side color and the other eInk. There on the right track at least, especially this: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6822723.eceI don't think the nook is going to be the end all be all.

If I had something like that screen in eInk for the W700, I would want it to detach for real portable use.

As long as there is no required subscription service, I'm set then, this just may be the perfect ebook reader.

Now that I'm home I realize I must have had noscript enabled when viewing the page. :palm:

Hey Scott,

I just checked on my Android phone and there is an app called "Documents To Go 2.0 Main App". It allows for viewing of Word and Excel files and attachments (doc, docx, xls, xlsx). That app is free, however for 30$ there is a version where you can get viewing for pdf, powerpoint, you can edit and create new files, View and update charts, password protection, etc.

I'm kinda wondering how much space will be allowed for programs, and also wondering which processor this has, and if it has a mic. If it has a mic... well... could probably skype.

I'd probably keep an eye on xda-developers - Powered by vBulletin if you're interested in hacking this at all. FWIW, it's running a generation behind (1.5) of the OS, with 2.0 around the corner (I'm running 1.6 right now). As long as you can browse with it, it comes with the webkit browser. It should be relatively familiar to everyone with iPhones, Android devices or the Palm Pre (save for multi-touch gestures).

**BRENT**

The nook doesn't have a mic sadly or text to speech. Its also not letting you create third party software or connect via wireless anywhere but Barnes and Noble or access anything but the ebook store. :( I'm going to hop on a netbook eventually, because honestly, if I can stare at my laptop screen for head-case this long and read ebooks off of my PSP, I think I know where to go for functionality and not giving up control of my device to some remote third party.

Its not like a PC can't do everything this eBook reader can. Someone would be a down to earth genius to make a make a fairly stylish small ebook reader that doesn't have any internet service or special features other then replaceable battery and an eInk screen including only a dictionary, basic audio and browsing functions, and text to speech that could be easily be connected onto and arranged as a dual screen drag and drop for the PC through USB cheaper then $250. All you need is a static refresh for ebook pages.

I have about 150 books in eReader format and about 30 in MobiPocket format, because I bought books from eReader.com and Fictionwise.com for the last 10 years.

I now have about 11 in Kindle format (for iPhone) and I've finished 6 of them already. So, the Nook would be nice for me in case I want to re-read any of the old books, or share them. I already have a B&N account as well, just haven't bought eBooks there yet. I like the Nook's WiFi because when there is no ATT 3G around I can use my VZW MiFi mobile router.

I'll have to look at more of the features now (to see if there is a browser, how many shades of grey, accessories, etc.)

I now have about 11 in Kindle format (for iPhone) and I've finished 6 of them already. So, the Nook would be nice for me in case I want to re-read any of the old books, or share them. I already have a B&N account as well, just haven't bought eBooks there yet. I like the Nook's WiFi because when there is no ATT 3G around I can use my VZW MiFi mobile router.

I'll have to look at more of the features now (to see if there is a browser, how many shades of grey, accessories, etc.)

Its also not letting you create third party software or connect via wireless anywhere but Barnes and Noble or access anything but the ebook store. :(

No browser either. Your either buying books or connecting to the server to lend them it seems. With the B&N app they mention, it seems that you can run 3G to connect to other devices for sharing. I bet its only available by a connection through their network that controls access rights remotely.

Bit of a side bar...

But what's amazing to me is how we all gravitate towards new technology to the point that it eventually becomes a necessity.

I don't think I'm alone in terms of my tendency to at least make an effort at resistance while I still can.

I remember what my parents said when one of their neighbors got a car with these new, fancy, electric roll up windows! "Can you imagine that? Paying $300 more because you're too lazy to roll them up yourself?"

Such was my thinking when cell phones came out. For a couple of years, I resisted, and continued to stop at pay phones when I really needed to make a call and I wasn't at home or work.

Same with the iPod. No way was I going to cave in! But of course I did, and again, couldn't imagine not having one, or two, or...

An eReader? You've got to be kidding me! In fact, you've all got to be kidding yourselves! I mean, who really reads 500 books per year? Or even 50? Most of you schmucks haven't read a book since Winnie the Poo in 6th grade.

Or maybe today's fine young gents are just a tad more sophisticated (being electrically charged and all) than the folks from my generation. More to the point, perhaps if I were to cave in (once again) to this newly created "need" to have instant access to hundreds of books that I can upload for anywhere at any time, I'd actually read more than one book per month?

I don't know. I'm not yet convinced. This reminds me that I need to finish that John Lennon biography that I put down 2/3rd of the way through about 6 months ago. He dies in the end, no?