Amazon Kindle

Edwood

Color E-Ink would be better, but either way, it will have very very long battery life.

The best part is the Amazon "Whispernet" which is bascially using Sprint's EVDO network. Whether or not it has a full web browser that you can use for free has yet to be seen, but if you can surf for free, the Kindle will sell like mad.

http://www.amazon.com/kindle

product-descr-book._V4948744_.jpg

v3-ergo._V4948249_.jpg

Hardware wise, not really all that into the off white color that will get dirty really fast. And the whole left and right side being page turning buttons means accidental page turning galore.

Interesting product, though. Pretty spendy at nearly $400. It should really be less than $200 if they want them to sell alot, unless it has free internet surfing capabilities, then the $400 would be worth it.

If the sell 0 of them because it looks like it's from the 80s then what does price matter?

You mean I can browse the web on a screen that looks like my apple 2e, no thanks. I don't care if it's crystal clear, my cell phone screen can have color so why can't this? They can make a laptop that costs $500 have a color screen, why can't this? I'm sorry, it just seems like a pretty pointless product to me give a seriously limited feature set. It's only advantages over a small laptop are longer battery life.

If the sell 0 of them because it looks like it's from the 80s then what does price matter?

You mean I can browse the web on a screen that looks like my apple 2e, no thanks. I don't care if it's crystal clear, my cell phone screen can have color so why can't this? They can make a laptop that costs $500 have a color screen, why can't this? I'm sorry, it just seems like a pretty pointless product to me give a seriously limited feature set. It's only advantages over a small laptop are longer battery life.

and free evdo

E-Ink will last for days and days, not a few hours. E-Ink is pretty limited in practical use, but for eBooks and magazines, it's perfect. Color E-Ink would be better, but it's still a ways away from mass production on a large scale.

And if it has free web access, it will sell like crazy. Otherwise, $400 is just too steep.

But yeah, Nate, you need to do a bit of reading on E-Ink. It only uses power to refresh the screen, so they measure battery life in terms of page turns rather than hours. And most of these devices get 8000 page turns per charge. It is also just as easy to read as a piece of paper, if not easier. You can view the screen in pretty much any lighting that you could read a book in, and it is viewable from any angle.

The idea with E-ink is to replicate the look of ink on paper. It is much less fatiguing to the eyes, and is much more efficient. this is meant to be a book, not a portable comptuer. Yeah a bit pricey, but still a fantastic idea.

Yes, that sounds very cool and if I was a mass transit commuter I might think about it. But the problem as I see it is if you're using it to browse the web (many more page refreshes) the battery life is going to come way down, right? And if you're using it to browse the web the B&Wness of it is going to get really old, really fast. Look at the simulated picture of the NY times on the screen, that's pretty limited gray tones in my book. And it's probably not going to play nice with dynamic content like flash, YouTube, ect., right? So even if it has free unlimited web access I don't see them being able to use that as a big selling point or to justify the price.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think Ed's original comment, that $400 is too much, is right on the mark.

Yes, that sounds very cool and if I was a mass transit commuter I might think about it. But the problem as I see it is if you're using it to browse the web (many more page refreshes) the battery life is going to come way down, right? And if you're using it to browse the web the B&Wness of it is going to get really old, really fast. Look at the simulated picture of the NY times on the screen, that's pretty limited gray tones in my book. And it's probably not going to play nice with dynamic content like flash, YouTube, ect., right? So even if it has free unlimited web access I don't see them being able to use that as a big selling point or to justify the price.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think Ed's original comment, that $400 is too much, is right on the mark.

the competition that uses E-INK is around the same price, but I agree with you. I am very interested in these, but I'll wait to see if the price drops a bit.

Even with the possible free evdo access, I still think it's a product for a small niche market. The whole idea of being able to buy and download a book pretty much instantly is cool but unless you're a really avid reader $400 seems pretty steep to me.

eBook readers have been around for awhile now and they never seem to catch popular attention. I guess reading a paper book still has a certain appeal (perhaps like vinyl ;) )

I like the idea of an eBook reader and the idea of having tons of books loaded on it, but I have yet to see a product that would compel me to make the move.... now if Apple made it....Hrmmmmm O0

Anyway to quote a lazy man (and he was most certainly lazy) from a great movie, "I still jerk off manually."

I like the idea of an eBook reader and the idea of having tons of books loaded on it, but I have yet to see a product that would compel me to make the move.... now if Apple made it....Hrmmmmm O0

Apple will make an eBook reader after they are an industry standard and used by the masses.