Amazon Kindle

Edwood

having to hold the book in such a way that I could transcribe it seems like it'd be more likely to damage the book than just reading it. That's counter to the idea of including an ebook with my limited printings :)

Yup, me too. Or a $2-5 fee, even.

Actually, that's an idea. I'm going to write sub press and suggest they offer kindle copies of their limited editions with the sale, or for a small upcharge.

Would encourage purchase of new books as well. I haven't bought a new book in ages (Amazon Marketplace is great).

On second thought even if Amazon offered the Kindle version for a couple bucks on top of a marketplace purchase (one of the combined offer deals) they could make more money off marketplace sales too.

For some reason I feel like they have already thought of this and decided against it... not so sure why though.

So supposedly this new larger format Kindle, at the press event on Wednesday they'll be some folks from NYTimes and a few universities. There's been some talk that the larger format version was done with direct input/involvement from the NYTimes. Maybe they're finally waking up to the fact that the print is dying and print/delivery costs are killing them. I also see huge potential for universities and textbooks, though it'll probably be hard to get the textbook people on board.

There was an article I read awhile ago that suggested NYTimes would make more if they stopped printing and gave every subscriber a kindle for free....

So supposedly this new larger format Kindle, at the press event on Wednesday they'll be some folks from NYTimes and a few universities. There's been some talk that the larger format version was done with direct input/involvement from the NYTimes. Maybe they're finally waking up to the fact that the print is dying and print/delivery costs are killing them. I also see huge potential for universities and textbooks, though it'll probably be hard to get the textbook people on board.

There was an article I read awhile ago that suggested NYTimes would make more if they stopped printing and gave every subscriber a kindle for free....

Source that one? I would hate a textbook on a Kindle. I don't really see potential in that. Maybe if it was included with the purchase but I like writing in my text books, even if they are just pictures to scare the next person who buys my copy.

I wonder how long until they get their act together and make flexible e-ink panels that have no clunky hardware attached and need only a base station (could be a little mp3 player sized device) on or beside them to feed the data. It`d be grand to have small sheets for carrying in a coat pocket, larger sheets for textbooks / more detailed stuff then several larger, poster or projection screen sized sheets all of which need only a touch from the device to change display. Until then I don`t see paper printing being superceded.

I hate articles that work with the premise that you have to make stuff cheap enough that people won't steal it. It pisses me off people who wouldn't think of walking into a cafeteria filling their plate and then running off with the food think that taking CDs/Books/Movies is perfectly fine because it's the content providers fault for charging for the work they put in.

Anything in a digital format should be far cheaper than its' physical counterpart, but that's just not happening yet. There's absolutely no way I'm paying $10 for an e-book on Amazon or $10 for a full length album (in a lossy format) on iTunes. I'd much rather check that same book out of the library, pirate the cd, and decide later if it's something I need to buy to support whoever created that content.

Edited by NightWoundsTime

I'd much rather check that same book out of the library, pirate the cd, and decide later if it's something I need to buy to support whoever created that content.

Yup. Make a good album and I'll come to your concert and buy your vinyl and tour shirts.

Howsabout stealing the sound of someone else's headphone to use in your own system? Shouldn't you just buy that other headphone if you want that sound? :P

Yup. Make a good album and I'll come to your concert and buy your vinyl and tour shirts.

Precisely. I once handed a comedian $40 because I'd downloaded all his cd's. Didn't necessarily want physical copies because it's standup, how many times can you really listen? But I wanted to give something back and I told him so.