Dan Clark Audio Stealth and Expanse

johnwmclean

Having owned a DCA Aeon Noire for a while the DCA Stealth got me interested. I like what Dan is trying to achieve, with the introduction of the Expanse I couldn’t resist the urge to buy another flagship. So I have an Expanse incoming, will be pairing it with a CFA2.

I do not like the dicky naming of the products, minor gripe hopefully I’m happy with what the Expanse brings to the table being that I love what the Noire achieves at its price point.

Will be updating with impressions when I’m ready, has anybody heard or owned a DCA Stealth or Expanse?

• Like 2

I own the Stealth, John.

It is a very nice headphone. If there was a trade-in option I'd have been tempted to trade out for the Expanse as it seems to fix the one major issue I have with it, namely a lack of perceived bass. While I don't mind it as a closed headphone, I also generally prefer open. That all being said, it is a much better listen than the HD800S, my other flagship. I enjoy it very much, it just isn't perfect.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of Expanse.

• Like 1

I've gotten good at reading between the lines regarding audio impressions. And there definitely seems to be something special about the Expanse. Hope to hear it one day. 

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I like Dan. 

Edited by robm321
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

I predict that some people will say that true endgame headphones are all musical instruments... 

oh~ i see yamaha's marketing is indeed working hard in this direction though...🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kung

On 10/19/2022 at 7:07 PM, johnwmclean said:

Had the Expanse for a few days, I like them a real lot, the best headphones I’ve heard to date. This is a new dawn and a bleak future facing my E-stats longevity. I was thinking these would compliment the SR-007 MK 2 / Carbon but this really is a take over.

Hi John. you like these more than your Stats? 😮

I have been so happy with Stax but now these comments make me want to try them

I do prefer them.

Stats do that ethereal hyper detailed thing, it’s an impressive and addictive listen, whilst the DCA Expanse is understated in presentation, neutral to a fault. I prefer the realism from the DCA, its faithfulness to the recording without imposing.

Another aspect is how well they match with my Chord Mojo 2 / Chord Poly, having portably this good is just incredible.

For me the penultimate Stat proposition no longer makes much sense.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

I feel like I should wait about 100 hours before replying to this, but... in. ;)
touché lol  in my defense I never heard he did it  

ha ha. In my defense, he never did. Or I’m so absent minded that I missed it.